Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tax Refunds--Whatcha gonna do with it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tax Refunds--Whatcha gonna do with it?

    Wow, I just got our cell phone/regular phone/ISP bill in the mail today. Mind you, this is one of the few bills that I am not paying (my wife is). That and the water/sewer bill. Well, it was pretty big.....REALLY big! It was $450....

    I mentioned to my wife that we need to use some of our upcoming federal tax refund to get this bill caught up (and then I am taking it over!)....I didn't get much of a response...well at least it wasn't a "no"!

    If I had 100% voting authority in our household, I would use about 75% of the refund for an EF (emergency fund) and getting that aforementioned bill caught up. The other 25% would be "play money"...you know, putting a FULL tank of gas in the car, buying a new pair of tennis shoes, some clothes...

    So what is everybody else doing with their refunds??

    #2
    I'm sending ours to our home equity loan. The home equity loan should be paid off by March, if all goes to plan.
    My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

    Comment


      #3
      The goal should be to not get a refund. Otherwise you are giving Uncle Sam a 0% interest loan on your money. Change your witholding status and it should get rid of at least most of your refund. But, if I do get anything back it's going into savings,
      Brian

      Comment


        #4
        Whatever refund we get, and hopefully it will be very small as bjl584 already explained, but any money we do get goes straight to Vanguard toward our Roth contributions for the year.
        Steve

        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

        Comment


          #5
          Whenever I get a refund it's usually pretty small and I use it for play money. Got to have some fun 'ya know.
          "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

          Comment


            #6
            We don't get much back, usually less than $1K....it changes from year to year based on how many deductions I can claim. i.e. mileage, depreciation, donations, etc.

            The state, on the other hand, we usually end up owing a couple hundred dollars...

            Comment


              #7
              Never had a tax refund in my life.

              Comment


                #8
                Interesting. I am definetively going to see how to reduce that refund. I thought my withholding status was up to date but I usually get between 1000 and 1500.

                In any case mine is going to pay off debt. I am having enough fun watching those balances go down

                Comment


                  #9
                  Good for you Rad! I would do the same thing, but the significant other is harder to convince....

                  I am a long-term thinker, she is a short-term and immediate thinker....

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Replenishing savings used to fully fund 2009 IRAs, buy a new upright freezer (have $300 gift cards to use towards this also), and the rest will probably go to our savings account set aside to buy a second vehicle later this year. If the return is extraordinarily large this year (adding first time buyer credit and house deductions, etc.), may put some towards the mortgage. But will probably want to fund the car fund first.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I will be going to get my I-Mac. I have waited long enought. So my refund will be dedicated to that.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Even though we live so we don't need a refund, a refund usually makes me smile ... until I think about the interest I lost by letting the gov't hold it for that year.

                        Heck, here, I'll smile anyway -->

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Pay what little we are getting towards debt or just adding it to our savings cushion. Usually we have to pay in...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Any refund would go to savings.

                            As is, we owe about $250 to state, with a $250 Fed refund. So guess my refund is going to the state. I try to get rather breakeven - but I think this is a new record.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              What refund? Not receiving a refund.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X