The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

What do you have in your pantry at any one time?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you have in your pantry at any one time?

    I am just wondering what people keep in stock as a general rule, or how many of you dont have a stocked pantry and just buy as you need. And if you DO just buy as you need, what do you normally have in your pantry anyway?

  • #2
    We buy pasta when it is cheap; we keep beans and rice in the pantry; I bought one of those 'Costco' emergency buckets (the stuff will get you through REALLY, REALLY tough times but is not anything you would want to eat); lots of canned tomato products (for use with the pasta); various kinds of Asian instant soups; some bottled water. Some of the stuff needs to be rotated but most will last.
    I YQ YQ R

    Comment


    • #3
      We eat most meals at home so we always have a fully stocked fridge, freezer and pantry. I couldn't begin to list everything that is in there.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


      • #4
        Pasta, canned tomatoes, beans, potatoes.

        Comment


        • #5
          rice
          dried beans
          cans of beans
          cans of tomatoes
          pasta
          tvp
          flour
          sugar
          baking powder

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            We eat most meals at home so we always have a fully stocked fridge, freezer and pantry. I couldn't begin to list everything that is in there.
            ditto

            between spices, 'basics' (flour, sugar, ect) and beans, and...I could be here all day.

            Comment


            • #7
              we also eat at home so I could not list whats in my pantry as too much to list
              but my pantry always has at least a weeks worth of Simple meals
              the stuff I could just open and feed folks quickly if I have a lazy day or got sick

              cans of chilli, soups and lots of noodles a can of spam and tuna in case we were desperate for meat ;-)
              mostly I cook from scratch

              Comment


              • #8
                Us too--lots of things. Always some canned soup, pasta, tomatoes, cereal, rice, beans, rice and bean mixes, --all the baking crud, dried fruit, etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK I have some time (nursing baby awaiting email, here at keyboard anyway)...let's just see how long this takes

                  Baking stuff:
                  whole wheat flour
                  Brown sugar
                  baking soda
                  Baking powder (in fridge)
                  salt
                  cinnamon
                  honey
                  maple syrup (in fridge)
                  Molasses
                  ground cloves
                  ginger
                  pumpkin
                  bittersweet chocolate
                  semi sweet chocolate
                  coco powder
                  non imitation vanilla extract (though I hear making it yourself is way better)
                  oatmeal
                  corn meal

                  Canned stuff:
                  kidney beans
                  black beans
                  Tomatoes
                  tomato sauce
                  tuna
                  salmon

                  Junk food:
                  tortilla chips
                  salsa
                  instant breakfast drink powder
                  cashews
                  peanuts
                  granola bars
                  slim jims
                  craisins (dried sweetened cranberries)
                  raisins
                  instant oatmeal

                  Spices:
                  chili powder
                  pepper
                  cumin
                  crushed red pepper
                  cyan pepper
                  garlic
                  parsley sage rosemary and thyme
                  tarragon
                  paprika
                  honey dijon mustard and spice brown (in fridge)
                  terryaki sauce
                  vinegar (two kinds)
                  plus others I can't recall right now....

                  usually in there but out today:
                  whole wheat pasta
                  brown rice
                  popcorn
                  Potatoes and onions (though not totally nonperishable)

                  Then there is the fridge/freezer/counter, technically perishable, but in general I do not buy for this weeks groceries, I buy to fill the supply, then we eat from that (IE ground meat can be used for a variety of dishes, spinach or green beans as well) Or Apples and Bananas we buy a bunch every week, so they are always here. So I consider that all as a part of a well stocked kitchen.

                  What do you know only took 30 minutes wish EL was that easy to put down...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think some of you missed the question. I tend to cook most days but my earlier list is what's ALWAYS in my pantry. The rest of my fridge content and pantry can flux depending on what we want to eat or what's on sale.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SacredFaerie View Post
                      I think some of you missed the question. I tend to cook most days but my earlier list is what's ALWAYS in my pantry.
                      I understood the question. My list of what is ALWAYS in the pantry would be longer than Princess Perky's. We have a closet pantry and 4 cabinets in the kitchen plus 2 shelving units in the basement. Then there is the refrigerator/freezer in the kitchen and the freezer in the basement. Between all of that space, there is lots of food at all times. Some is perishable but most is not. And most are items that we always keep on hand. When we start to run low, we buy another package of it.
                      Steve

                      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We have about a 3 month supply of food. I just canned more chicken. I can (put-up) food where I can.

                        Anyway, we have a lot of food - all of the basic staples such as flour, sugar, veggies, spices, salt, etc.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          We keep a well supplied pantry, usally with the basics- vegetables, canned fruit, ketchup, cereal bought on sale, flour, sugar, soups, spagehetti, chili makings, etc.

                          I usually keep the freezer well stocked with frozen foods, such as meat bought on sale, etc.

                          We always have lots of eggs on hand, too, thanks to our chickens.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I buy in bulk, so I have all that PP listed and more. I have a deepfreeze in the garage, one in the basement and 2 full refrigerators also. We could probably eat for 90 days or more, but would run out of fresh milk. My chickens and ducks lay daily, so they are always replenishing my egg supply.
                            There is a picture of my basement stock up pantry on my blog below.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My pantry is all the basic baking stuff (yeast, flour, unsweetened cocoa, molasses, etc, so yes I mean all the basic baking stuff), dried beans (used to be canned but am trying to convert over), pasta of all shapes, all types of spices, all types of grains (I am missing quinoa, but I have couscous and the more common types), canned tomatoes and a variety of nuts and dried fruits.

                              Used to keep Better Than Buillon but recently figured out how to make stock cheap, easy and fairly quickly so no more of that.

                              The more basic ingredients in the house the better. Keeps me from eating out as much or spending a fortune when I want to make a particular dish.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X