This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$0 spend week

I was talking with my friend that is super-organized when it comes to her food inventory. Or, I thought she was because it seemed she always had the correct amount of everything.

She told me that she really isn't that good, but what she does every three months or so is have a "no shopping week" for food. They have whatever is in the cabinets, refrigerator and freezer. She said that if she didn't do that, she would have all kinds of extra stuff. The no shopping week cleans out all the excess food that otherwise would be passed over again and again.

I thought it was a good idea and I'm going to try and have one next week.

Re: $0 spend week

Here's wishing u luck! I'm trying to get rid of all the food in my cupboards too.

Comment

I do that all the time, though it is more related to the fact that I forgot something at the store, or I am out of cash! And there is no way I could ever go without spending anything, you should see the looks my family gave me when I suggested we only get 2 gallons of milk for the week instead of three!

Oh my! only 2 gallons of milk! I now get dirty looks when I suggest only 4! times change...course I know have a family of 5 milk drinkers (at the time of this original post I had only 3)
      Last edited by PrincessPerky; 03-22-2007, 08:52 AM. Reason: 3 years makes a big difference!

Comment

I usually shope only twice a month. Then I just grab a gallon of milk when I need to or whatever. I buy in bulk and there have actually been months (yes months) when I have spent less than $100 a month for a family of 5.

When my hubby got sick and couldn't work, I had enough food in my pantry and freezer to last us 3 weeks without buying anything but milk.

Of course, when he got back to work everything was bare! and I spent $150 each week for the next 2 weeks!

Comment

I do a main shopping trip once a month and sometimes will stretch it out a week by doing what is called a Pantry Challenge week. Especially if we have an extra bill coming up-it works out great.

Comment

I usually stock up on meat when it's on sale & I have enough to spend on buying so much. Then the other weeks I just get the things we are out of.

I have skipped a week here & there when we were well stocked.

I know about the looks Princess Perky is talking about! *LOL* Especially if I mention leftovers or manipulate some leftovers in an unusual manner that tastes fine but then they try to get all picky on me GRRRR>>>

Comment

oh thats good, probally a good idea to bank the extra income if you can. If it was me though, I'd just spend it on myself, shop or go out a couple times that week.

Comment

When I straighten and clean my cupboards, I put items in the front that we have forgotten about and it's always a surprise when you open the doors.

I also like to have a day usually Friday, where we eat the leftovers from a few days. It makes the dinner interesting and you're not throwing away the extra food.

We also buy a gallon of milk and take half of it out and put it in a half-gallon milk jug and freeze it. You can do that with a gallon as well. You have to take some out because it expands. I freeze bread as well. Make sure that you double wrap it.

Comment

Wow, aleta thats some nifty saving. I put bread in the fridge so it lasts longer.

Freeze milk? Never knew you could do that, does it taste the same, say a month later?

Comment

Yes, you just have to make sure that it thaws completely and then shake it because it can separate. I don't see any difference, some may, but I don't. If I have a few cups left and the expiration date is right at hand, I will measure into 1 cup increments the milk and place it in zipper baggies and double bag it as well. When I need the milk, I take the baggie out and use the 1 cup that I need for whatever (expresso coffee with half milk, mashed potatoes,). We used to lose milk because we could never use it up before the due date.

Comment

One night a week we eat the leftovers from the past 6 days or so-everyone usually eats something different, and sometimes things don't actually go together, but the fridge gets cleaned out and nobody starves.

Comment

We call that HodgePodge or Smorgasbord night.

Comment

I do this... my husband is in the military and I save a TON of money when he leaves cause I just start pulling stuff out of the cupboards and the 4 kids are a lot less picky than he is. They even eat leftovers. We always have leftovers from meals so I end up only having to cook 4 or 5 days out of the week when he is gone.

Besides, cooking with just what you have in the cupboards also opens up ways to invent your cooking habits. Around Christmas time I made Spritz cookies and when I was craving something "chocolate" - I made no bake cookies since we had Oatmeal, butter, sugar, peanut butter, and cocoa powder.

Comment

We use up leftovers in "Fend for Yourself" nights, where everyone has to fix their own meal from leftovers. Of course, if I haven't been cooking at home much, or the leftovers are gone, it becomes canned soup night for the kids!
                            The additional benefit of "Fend for Yourself" is that your kids learn to reheat in the microwave (if old enough).
                            We skip grocery shopping some weeks, but not on a regular planned schedule. Usually when the weekend is too hectic to squeeze it in! We do still pick up milk those weeks!

Comment

Okay, the milk thing would be a problem for me as well! There is only so much room in a fridge for gallons of milk. There is no way I could stock up when it's on sale either. They are WAY too big and they expire. That being said, I have gone weeks without buying anything except milk and bananas. Yep, we can't go without bananas in our house

Comment

Working...
                              X