Is it cheap to use coupons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it cheap to use coupons?

My wife hates using coupons from newspapers, magazines etc. while buying grocery. She says that it looks very cheap to use coupons when we can afford to pay full price.

What do you think?

I think it is the height of foolishness to pay full price for something just because you can when there are simple steps you can take to pay less. Tell your wife to get over it.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Who does she thinks pays attention to her when paying for her groceries? Does she always think people are watching her, or is it the judgment of the cashier that she cannot bear?

I think using grocery coupons is perfectly within the realm of normal, non-cheap. But if she absolutely cannot bear the thought, I'd let it go and not press her. Perhaps you could check out the coupon items, Mike75, while she checks out the rest. That way you'll get the reduced bill without her having to feel like she is sullying her reputation.
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

How about this? Keep track of all the coupons she could have used but didn't over a 6-month period. Add up the savings she could have had and show her how much money she basically threw in the toilet.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I love using coupons. It's not being cheap it's being smart everything is always marked up highter than it should be why not try to get some of the cost down for yourself. It's being a wise consumer.

Comment

Ahhhh, stereotyping couponers. "Coupons = Cheap" is such a wrong assumption. "People who use coupons = Poor" is super wrong, too.

I'm a member of popular coupon website and more than 20% of the memebers' household income is over 100K. Yes, I was blown away, too.

I use coupons simply because it is a smart way to spend my hard earned money. I save so much money by being a smart shopper.

Comment

Originally posted by Maismom View Post
              "People who use coupons = Poor" is super wrong, too.
              Absolutely. I've said in numerous threads that it often seems that the people being smartest with their money are the ones who least need to be. People with money understand that it makes sense to spend it wisely. Poorer people are often in that situation at least in part because they don't manage their money wisely. If they would do all the frugal things that those who are more well off do, they wouldn't be so poor.
              Steve

Comment

Just to present a dissenting opinion, if you have a cart full of groceries and a coupon for just about every item, it can be pretty rude/annoying to other customers.

This happened to me last week sometime -- I was in line for the "self check out", and this couple ahead of me had a shopping cart full of stuff (issue #1: the large sign directly over their head says "25 items or less"), and a literal handful of coupons about 1/2-inch thick (since a cashier clearly wouldn't be able to expedite their checkout). They slowly scanned each one, waited motionless for the machine to finally register the coupon, then with utmost care, guided it down the slot (think two hands, slowly feeding it inch-by-inch into the bin). Every time any of them didn't take, they called over the person overseeing 3 other (busy) stations, and insisted that they receive credit for them (even though I overheard multiple mentions of "this is expired", followed by argument, yadda-yadda),.... and so on. It was absolutely absurd, and terribly rude on the part of the couple. [/rant]

Coupons, like most other things, are fine in moderation, and likely good for you. Buying stuff you don't need (or far more than you'll realistically use) just because you have a coupon: bad idea. But if you're out shopping and there's a coupon next to something you'd be getting anyway, or you happen to notice one for an item you purchase regularly, by all means take it and use it. That said, however, I generally won't go out of my way to find/use coupons. If I happen upon them, I'll use it. Otherwise, I don't bother.
                "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I guess your wife wouldn't want to shop with me then. My coupon binder is a big old trapper keeper and I haul it right into the store with me. I wonder if everyone thinks I'm poor? Too bad. I don't understand why you would voluntarily pay full price when you don't have to.
                  Actually, I think they are jealous and I have gotten several comments to that effect. I have never gotten a bad comment or "look" from either cashiers or fellow customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Confetti View Post
                    I don't understand why you would voluntarily pay full price when you don't have to.
                    Exactly! It doesn't make any sense at all. "No Ma'am, I don't want to pay $3 for that item. I'd much rather pay $4."

I wonder something Mike75. Does your wife use a shopper's club card from the supermarket? Many stores tie their in-store promotions to use of the card. If you don't show your card at checkout, you don't get the sale prices on the items.
                    Steve

Comment

Do you want to actually be wealthy, or just appear wealthy?

Comment

Originally posted by Beppington View Post
                        Do you want to actually be wealthy, or just appear wealthy?
                        Great question!

Make your wife read "The Millionaire Next Door." They talk a lot about the habits of the wealthy and the wasteful habits of those who are trying to look wealthy.
                        Steve

Comment

I use coupons any time that I can. why waste money??

Comment

I could actually afford to pay someone to do my grocery shopping. But I don't of course.

My sister is the queen of coupon shopping. She uses a website that tells her what is on sale and the coupons to go with it. She saves a ton. Shopping that way is peculiar at first because you are not putting meals in your cart - you are building your pantry inventory.

It's not rude to have a fist full of coupons - most stores I've been in, it only takes a sec per coupon. If the store doesn't have decent equip to process them, blame the store, not the patron. Is it rude to pay with a check while people wait on you to write it out?

Comment

There will always be someone that irritates someone else. Whether it is with couponing or too many items in their cart or writing a check instead of using a credit card or whatever. Now, personally I never use the self check aisle when I have coupons because when I did in the beginning it always messed up and took way to much time. The cashier is easier and faster. I do have some coupons that she/he has to enter manually but for the most part no problems.

As far as whether your wife has an issue using coupons is not going to change just because you show her how to do it cheaper. If she is uncomfortable using them and money is not a problem I would give it up. I have friends that curb dive and dumpster dive. I am personally uncomfortable with this so I won't do it no matter how many really interesting things they have gotten (and yes they show me). I personally coupon regularly and like most do not like paying full price for groceries. I mean $3.xx a box for cereal!!!!!! no way!

Comment

Working...
                              X