What do you grow in your garden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you grow in your garden?

What fruits and vegetables do you grow in your garden? I'm starting to plan my spring garden and I want to focus on foods that are fairly easy to grow that will also cut down on our grocery bill.

Re: What do you grow in your garden?

I usually just have zuchini and tomatoes...Every year, I promise myself I will grow a big garden and finally I end up lucky to have my father give me the tomatoe plants for my garden...so...I can't say if I will have more this summer in my garden...I don't seem to have the time or energy to make a good one...

Comment

tomatoes, zuchinni, garlic, onions,peppers,corn. i also have pear, and apple trees.

Comment

weeds, mostly dead ones

Comment

An orange tree (here when we bought the house), a patio lemon tree, rosemary and tomatoes. I've tried growing other things- snap peas, bell peppers, various herbs, watermelon.... but it's hit or miss as far as my success goes. Well, not with the herbs. I've done well with basil, oregano, and cilantro. I just don't always have some going.

Comment

As long as my 76 y.o. father here in town keeps a garden (his passion), I don't have to since he raises enough for a small army. But when the time comes, I plan to concentrate on tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, summer squash, winter squash, cucumbers, beans, spinach, onions, lettuce, kale and collard -- all things I've grown in the past with varying degrees of success. But, I'm also interested in potatoes, broccoli, corn, eggplant, peas, all root vegetables (carrots, beets, turnips), cabbage and chard. I'll need to get myself a plot out at the community gardens (where my dad gardens), since my yard, though good-sized, is densely shaded. I do keep a small herb garden here at home though, and can always count on my sage and chives to go nuts. The basil does ok. We put in rhubarb the year before last -- we're still waiting on that one since you can't harvest right away. We also have an aged apple tree that produces so-so apples every other year. Every year I try tomatoes and peppers in containers, in a new spot each time -- no luck so far. A few years back however, I dragged home a curb-picked utility sink (the kind on legs) that someone was discarding, filled it with soil and set it in a sunny spot on our driveway, for a 'raised bed' of sorts. I let my son plant green beans in it this past summer, and we got a bumper crop --right there in that sink....

Comment

we have a bunch of strawberrys that we grow pretty much year round. In the past we have planted bell peppers and watermelon.

I'm not sure what I'm going to plant this year.
              hopefully something that my cats don't like.. they have a tendency of picking my food right before its time for me to pick it!

ARGG

Comment

Originally posted by terry1156
                What fruits and vegetables do you grow in your garden? I'm starting to plan my spring garden and I want to focus on foods that are fairly easy to grow that will also cut down on our grocery bill.

Wanted to add anote to say that you've inspired me to think about this as well. DD and I are going out later this afternoon to pick out a few winter veggies that we can still plant here in So Cal and see how they do!

Comment

I grow a salsa garden. My family and friends all enjoy the wanderful results!

Hope you enjoy your garden!

Mark Strohm, Jr.

Comment

we grow hot peppers & mild peppers & tomatoes & cucumbers would like to grown more this year maybe I can talk to dh into it the garden is his thing really I cant grow anything to save my life

Comment

I've got my acorn squash seeds started indoors today. I don't have a greenhouse and it's too early to plant outside in my zone (I've never remembered the number.........) But, I found the seeds I saved from squash from last years garden, so if it doesn't work; no money spent.

I'm hooked on acorn squash. I've got plenty of room for the vines to have their way and just s p r e a d out. And, having a bin of these through out fall and on into winter is just too frugal of a feeling! Plus, I can't seem to kill these! Nothing eats them before I can get them harvested. A fool proof plant!

Comment

I got some free plants - 9 tomato seedlings and 3 anaheim chiles. I planted all but three of the tomato plants today. I need to figure out where to put the last three plants. I'd like to try carrots, green beans, strawberries and some herbs. My gardens and landscaping have been woefully neglected this past year.

And speaking of free plants - I got 11 free plants from my parents. Nine are feather grass and two are false heather. All will be used in my attempt to landscape our back hillside with drought tolerant, low maintenance plants. I planted all of the grass but still need to get the false heather into the ground.

Comment

Here in PA we are still many weeks away from being able to plant anything! But we can dream of the fruits and veggies.

Does anyone really save money from their gardening? During the harvest season when I am picking my yummy veggies - the cost of produce is nearly nothing! Ultimately I save little to nothing - but I do get great enjoyment.

Mark

Comment

What state do you live in?

I grow or have grown:

Asparagus: takes 3 years to produce edible stalks, but after that, very reliable and easy.
                            Strawberries: Also low maintenance, just likes a fair amount of water in spring, spreads very easily and you can't beat their taste compared to flavorless store-bought variety
                            Tomatos: Easy and definitely recommend; can also grow cherry tomoatoes in pots if you don't have a lot of room.
                            Cucumbers: EAsy
                            Potatoes: Lots of fun to dig them up (gotta use bare hands so you don't accidentally spear them with a shovel) , but they take up a lot of space all season long til you dig them up out of ground.
                            Corn: This is good if you have lots of sun. You have to be careful to pick at exactly the right time, when a pinched kernel skirts juice; if you wait too long, they'll be mealy and chewy.
                            Zucchini, squashes: EAsy and grow fast
                            Eggplant: I grew successfully in a pot.
                            Lettuce: easy
                            Radishes, carrots: have had less success with root veggies like these in rocky new england soil.
                            Snap peas and beans: Easy, and a must in any garden

Comment

Tomatos and strawberrys. There are grapes on our garage roof but they don't taste nice at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X