Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Personal Finance

Personal Finance Credit cards, home loans, retirement plans and taxes. The place for all your personal finance questions.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By corn18
  • 1 Post By Jluke
  • 1 Post By autoxer
  • 1 Post By disneysteve
  • 1 Post By Thrif-t
  • 1 Post By scfr
  • 1 Post By tripods68

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,838
Default staying invested

Are you guys staying invested or taking returns off the table and going more conservative?

I've decided to stay invested and keep going aggressive. I know that age has a lot to do with this. We've got 15 more year until retirement is what we are thinking.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,878

I'm currently all in.
I too, still have a ways to go before I start to think about retiring, so no need to take my foot off the gas right now.

That being said, I'm seeing returns like nothing I've ever experienced before. Cashing out some positions and taking some returns is getting tempting for sure.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
Are you guys staying invested or taking returns off the table and going more conservative?

I've decided to stay invested and keep going aggressive. I know that age has a lot to do with this. We've got 15 more year until retirement is what we are thinking.
To quote my Investment Policy Statement:

Invest in a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds with an asset allocation of 60/40 with 10% international using low cost index funds. I will rebalance if the AA gets beyond 5%. I will evaluate my AA annually.

That's it. Doesn't talk about market ups and downs. That's just noise and trying to time the market always results in me losing out somehow.

I am somewhat risk averse, so I chose a 60/40 AA. If I didn't have a COLA'd pension, a very healthy EF and no non-mortgage debt, I would be even more conservative. I'm 52 and plan to retire at 60. Want to be FI at 54.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl584 View Post
I'm currently all in.
I too, still have a ways to go before I start to think about retiring, so no need to take my foot off the gas right now.

That being said, I'm seeing returns like nothing I've ever experienced before. Cashing out some positions and taking some returns is getting tempting for sure.
I have been cashing out on returns all year as my AA gets out of whack. Had to rebalance twice last year. Sold stocks at a high price and bought bonds at a low price each time. This all happens inside my tax advantaged accounts so no tax impacts.

A correction is coming. Just don't ask me when or how big.
scfr likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 939

This week:

Roth IRA:
Sold Total US Stock (VTI)
Bought more United Health (UNH) and Wellesley (VWINX)
Added Vanguard Technology (VGT).. New position

Taxable:
Bought more VTI
Added Facebook (FB) on January 12... New position

and then there's always the automatic 401k purchases

I'm somewhere around 75-80 stocks/20-25 bonds.
LivingAlmostLarge likes this.

Last edited by Jluke; 01-12-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,079

I'm certainly staying invested and I have an aggressive asset allocation, but my behavior has shifted to be a little more conservative. I ended up sending a lot extra towards mortgage principal last year, when I could of just as easily put it into the market.

In an effort to take the emotion out of it, I increased my automatic contributions, so that I don't think about too frequently.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 27,172

I've started to make some changes but not because of current market conditions or predictions for the future (i.e. market timing). I'm doing it because, as corn said, my allocation has gotten out of whack. I moved 1% from stocks to bonds last week and plan to gradually shift another 4-5% out of stocks through a combo of new money going in and re-positioning some existing money.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 642

I cashed in some because my allocation had gotten away from being 60/40 and I wanted to get it back in the groove.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,489

We're already invested very conservatively, and we're staying that way.

We (well, it's mostly me but I say we because it isn't a unilateral decision) are already starting to think about what we want our asset allocation to be in retirement because we are close to hitting our retirement number (might happen this year, depending on how the business and the markets do).

We are, generally speaking, quite good a "staying on target." Our investment choices have been deliberately structured in a way that truly reflect our risk tolerance and emotional foibles.

Having said that, we are not above being tempted by the thought of a bit of minor market timing. For example, when do make the annual self-employed tax-deferred-account contribution? This is a discussion that comes up any year the market is way up or way down.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,029

We've been 100% stock VTSAX all the way include our taxable account last over the past few years.

I might transfer funds from the taxable account in December to add to our ROTH VTSAX.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,807

Currently, I'm riding the wave. I need the growth as much as possible. I'm hoping I don't need to tap any of my IRAs for at least 8 years when I turn 70 and have to. I never understood why with lifespans getting longer and it not being unusual for people to live into their 70's-90's that they are ready to have every account set to some arbitrary number when they hit 65 and or they retire. Don't you need that money to keep growing to deal with expenses 20 years from retirement?

Even though I suffer from severe RA, people in my family tend to live into their late 80's-90's. My mom is 87 with two sisters older than her, one being in her 90's already. My husbands side of the family also live a long time and his dad has physically been cheating death since before we got married 16 years ago. He is now in his mid-80's.

Anyhow for now I'm trying to grow as much of a retirement account as possible. So I am letting the stocks run. I bought them for the long term.

Last edited by Gailete; 01-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:42 PM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,838

I'm thinking of just staying invested. But I'm thinking of maybe buying a vacation condo this year maybe. Well more a condo in hawaii for my parents to use and just whenever we visit. Not smart financially but something just we like having.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 878

I am staying all in; I expect a downturn but have no clue when so if I stay in for the long haul I will be in for the recovery.