Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Personal Finance

Personal Finance Credit cards, home loans, retirement plans and taxes. The place for all your personal finance questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 AM
$ Saving Third Grader

Forum Posts: 16
Default I need something similar to Mvelopes...

Could you all please send me links and your thoughts on other programs available that do the same thing as Mvelopes? I'm using Mvelopes now, and love it, EXCEPT that it keeps skipping days when it inputs my transactions. That's obviously a problem! I don't have time to double check all my accounts every single day against my bank statement to make sure it's inputting them all. That should be a given, shouldn't it?

Anyway, is there a more reliable program out there that is affordable and using the envelope system?

I also really like a system that is fully online, so I can access it anywhere, from any PC.

Thanks so much!,
Amy Kay
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 502

Look at Yodlee.com
Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

Forum Posts: 40

Hey.. I created an online envelope-based budgeting system called NeoBudget. Check it out: www.neobudget.com. It's only $2.50 per month too, so it's dirt cheap.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 154

How much is Mvelopes?
Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Debt Freedom Fighter

Forum Posts: 2,171

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehresman View Post
Hey.. I created an online envelope-based budgeting system called NeoBudget.
I think your program looks good. Any plans to offer it as a stand-alone product (as opposed to web-based)?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM
$ Saving Third Grader

Mvelopes is like $7 to $11 a month.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 793

Check out Personal Budget Software - Excel Budgeting Template, Free Personal Finance Spreadsheets -- I switch from Mvelopes to YNAB because of the cost and have been very happy with it. The only drawback is that instead of the automatic download that Mvelopes does, for each of your accounts you have to save the transactions to a file and then import it. But in your case it would be an advantage because you'd know that nothing had been missed.

I also looked at one called Home Budget that might be worth checking out.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 PM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

Quote:
Originally Posted by poundwise View Post
I think your program looks good. Any plans to offer it as a stand-alone product (as opposed to web-based)?
No, no plans to make it stand-alone. I wanted something online so I could access it anywhere. It doesn't ask for any sensative information (like bank account numbers) so security isn't really an issue. If you want a stand alone one, I used Budget (Snowmint Creative Solutions - Budget and graphic software) for a couple years. It's really good too. But I wanted something online so I made my own.

Last edited by lehresman; 05-22-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: link to Budget was wrong
Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM
$ Saving Third Grader

The neobudget is clever, but it doesn't import my bank transactions, so it won't meet my needs. What else is out there?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:06 PM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

Actually, I'm working on having an import feature right now. I will hopefully have it online tomorrow morning sometime. If not, maybe next week at the latest.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 AM
$ Saving HS Freshman

Forum Posts: 132

What about mint, I don't use it yet, but I have looked at it. It may be something worth looking at.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:48 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 968

Yodlee is the now. I use it and love it.

Mint is the future. It's adapting more quickly and is more user-friendly. Get on board with Mint.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:43 AM
$ Saving Third Grader

I just registered and updated accounts to Mint.com. It's very clever, also, but I don't think it utilizes an envelope, system, and, therefore, does not meed my needs.

Thanks for helping, though!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 AM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

I use Yodlee, but would like to know if any Software that can do the same. As i am not comfortable keeping all my logins and passwords on a website. It can be compromised easily if some one gets the Yodlee login and password. It would be more secure if they can provide RSA secure-id for a cost

Ideally i would like to Login to a application on the deskop and run the trigger that grabs all the data
Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 AM
$ Saving Fifth Grader

You mentioned your beef with NeoBudget was that it didn't have import functionality. You should check it out again. We just released a new version last week that has a pretty sweet import wizard. It makes it really easy to add transactions that you download from your bank.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Foot in mouth diseased

Forum Posts: 4,657

Amy, I've been looking around for something like that myself. Unfortunately, no such luck. Consequently, I've decided to create my own spreadsheet that mimics what I need.

It's a lot more work and everything has to be done manually. However, I think the end result is more flexibility and precision....

But if you do find a good, free, and online alternative, please let me know!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:38 PM
$ Saving Pre Schooler

Forum Posts: 1
Default What is everyone using now?

Just curious what everyone is using now? I've been using Mvelopes and love it, but they are starting to charge and need another envelope, transaction syncing system. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2017, 12:38 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,737

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1430 View Post
Just curious what everyone is using now? I've been using Mvelopes and love it, but they are starting to charge and need another envelope, transaction syncing system. Thanks!
I use a spreadsheet that is a "forward looking" check register (i.e., it lists not only transactions that have already happened, but transactions that will/should happen in the future). "Envelopes" like food, restaurant, fuel, etc are faux transactions that I stick at the end of the month and deduct from every time we make a purchase from one of those categories.

It doesn't sync with the bank, but I've never seen that as a problem.