Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Investing & Banking

Investing & Banking Stocks, bonds, banking interest rates, CDs and all other investment vehicles you want to talk about.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Banned

Forum Posts: 308
Default How to reduce taxes paid for gains from assets? Assets like RealEstate,apartment...

I know millionaires know ways of avoiding taxes legally. Can you help me out? Thank you for your knowledge.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 AM
$ Saving Sixth Grader

Forum Posts: 61
Default Re: How to reduce taxes paid for gains from assets? Assets like RealEstate,apartment

Look into what's termed a 1031 (or tax free) exchange. You can sell real prop, purchase replacement real prop in a 90 day window and not pay any capital gains on the transaction. However, any "boot" coming out, that is, negative difference in asset price that will be returned to you as cash at the end of the transaction will be subject to capital gains tax. This section only applies to commercial real property, but there is a tax device for residential as well as I recall. Ask your accountant.

A quick note on tax avoidance:

Millionaires pay thousands of dollars to accountants and attorneys to construct elaborate transactions to reduce tax exposure. However, the cost of doing so is often close to 5-10K. So for a million dollar transaction that works out to .002-.01%, but for a transaction much smaller than that the fees don't change (the complexity is the same), so it comprises a much larger percentage of the asset value. So for a 100k property (non primary residence), it is not worth avoiding the capital gains tax on it (even if you purchased the property for $5,000.00). For primary residences there is a tax floor of (I think) 1million (I can't remember if it's absolute value or 1 mill in capital gain, hopefully someone else does). That is, if your primary residence is worth less than 1 million (again I think this is right but am not 100% sure) you do not pay cap gains on the increase in market value.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM
$ Saving Fourth Grader

Forum Posts: 25
Default Re: How to reduce taxes paid for gains from assets? Assets like RealEstate,apartment

The only way to reduce the taxes on the gain on real estate is to do a "Section 1031 Exchange". The only problem is that you do not receive cash. You received another piece of real estate.

There is not a way to reduce taxes on the sale of stocks at a gain.