Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > Health Care

Health Care Tips, tricks, anything and everything to do with saving money on health care.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,584

SHOP YOUR SLEEP STUDY ALERT

Sleep studies are a big profit center for hospitals and clinics these days. A few months ago, my doctor ordered a sleep study and made me an appointment at the local hospital's sleep center (his employer - what a coincidence).

The sleep study cash price was "only" $1500! Well, I did a little shopping around, and found a nifty business here called "Sleep 2 Go". They charge a $100 bill for your sleep study, and come to your house to set you up - you don't even have to leave your own bed.

So sure enough, they came at about 9pm, hooked up some wires, and told me to hit the sack. The next morning, I delivered the items back to their shop, they pulled the data in about 5 minutes, and said "yep, you have sleep apnea"!

So then I was to take the results back to my doctor so he could order me a prescription for a CPAP machine. That would be another $100 for an office visit. Or not. Sleep 2 Go has a nurse practitioner who looks at the results and writes you a prescription for a $20 bill. Nice.

So now I'm out $120. But what about the CPAP machine?

This is where Sleep 2 Go makes THEIR money: They offered me a "cash price" Fisher and Paykel with warranty for a rock bottom price of $990. Hmmm.

I went home and shopped around online and found the same unit at respshop.com for around $475 delivered!

A few days later, I had my machine. I plugged it in and slept like a baby. Sleep apnea resolved.

My total out-of-pocket for the entire affair was $595.

SHOP YOUR MEDICAL CARE!
disneysteve likes this.

-- Steve Martin, "The Jerk".

Last edited by TexasHusker; 09-02-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,561

That's great TH! And this really highlights one of the biggest problems with our healthcare system. Most patients have insurance so they don't know or care what things cost. They just pay their copay and they're done. They don't care if the insurance company is paying $500 or $1,000 or $5,000.

You are paying of pocket so you have a strong incentive to shop around. And I'm sure the Internet has made that far easier than it used to be.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:40 AM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,628

Nope I said try the free market healthcare across us. Only way to work is to decouple employment and health insurance. Force everyone onto the markets and see what happens. It'd be interesting. I bet within 10 years we'd be socialized single payer.

I believe people think that everyone else is using insurance but not them. And that they pay so much more because of it. The reality is the opposite.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:06 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
Nope I said try the free market healthcare across us. Only way to work is to decouple employment and health insurance. Force everyone onto the markets and see what happens. It'd be interesting. I bet within 10 years we'd be socialized single payer.

I believe people think that everyone else is using insurance but not them. And that they pay so much more because of it. The reality is the opposite.
I think we are headed for single payer whether we are for it or not. But I've thought that for about 20 years now.

-- Steve Martin, "The Jerk".