Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rennigade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,833
Default Cancelling a flight for refund...be patient

We had some flights booked for later this year. Turns out we needed to cancel our trip/flights. It was booked with points but even cancelling would have cost us $175 for 2 people...each way...so around $350 total (which we would have eaten but didnt have to.)

I received an email two days ago stating that our flight times have changed. In this case it was more than 2.5 hours. That got me thinking...what happens when they change your flight?? According to AA's policy...if they change your flight time by anything over 61 minutes...you are entitled to cancel your flight for no penalty. Called them up...they cancelled no questions asked. Had my points back within 24 hours.

We were really lucky although if you're like us and book flights 10 months out...your flight time changes a few times.

Either way...keep this in mind if you ever find yourself needing to cancel a flight. Be patient and hope your flight time changes...or pay up and buy a refundable ticket.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:29 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 876

Once I had to reschedule a flight from Los Angeles to Honolulu roundtrip on Hawaiian Air. The change fee was $150 extra each way for a total of $300 for the roundtrip just in change fees alone. That was a hefty change fee.