Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2018, 01:03 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,276

I didn't find the idea of retirement terrifying. I planned to go at 62. I'd downsize and travel, volunteer, take classes. I'd work per diem if I felt like it. That was the plan, I saw enough people work until they literally died and I knew I did not want that at all.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,226

I was hoping to be able to get my house paid off in 15 years and then retire to PT if possible at around 60. Well the best laid plans can change. I turn 63 in October. I don't foresee me ever quitting working for money as my husband doesn't seem to have the work ethic I do. I get up every day whether I feel like it or not and take care of my on line store. If he doesn't feel good (which is just about always at this point) he watches movies or surfs the net. Considering the minimal funds that we have towards retirement, he is probably going to regret not pushing himself a bit more as he is 6-7 years before he turns 60 and can collect any SS benefits on his own. When we got married, his potential SS benefits at 65 was $300, although he has gotten up to around $800, still definitely not enough to live on.

I've been basically supporting myself since I was 17 and would have enjoyed having a year or two to get up and decide what I want to do that day that didn't involve earning money at all. Okay I would be happy to just have a couple weeks to get up and do nothing but have fun,
Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailete View Post
I was hoping to be able to get my house paid off in 15 years and then retire to PT if possible at around 60. Well the best laid plans can change. I turn 63 in October. I don't foresee me ever quitting working for money as my husband doesn't seem to have the work ethic I do. I get up every day whether I feel like it or not and take care of my on line store. If he doesn't feel good (which is just about always at this point) he watches movies or surfs the net. Considering the minimal funds that we have towards retirement, he is probably going to regret not pushing himself a bit more as he is 6-7 years before he turns 60 and can collect any SS benefits on his own. When we got married, his potential SS benefits at 65 was $300, although he has gotten up to around $800, still definitely not enough to live on.

I've been basically supporting myself since I was 17 and would have enjoyed having a year or two to get up and decide what I want to do that day that didn't involve earning money at all. Okay I would be happy to just have a couple weeks to get up and do nothing but have fun,
Gailete this is going to sound stupid but why do you think he's going to suffer by not working? I mean you are married so isn't his lack of fund your lack of funds? Why would it be his problem and not your joint problem?

Also why get married if you didn't want to deal with his financial problems? What was the reason or benefit?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:20 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
Gailete this is going to sound stupid but why do you think he's going to suffer by not working? I mean you are married so isn't his lack of fund your lack of funds? Why would it be his problem and not your joint problem?

Also why get married if you didn't want to deal with his financial problems? What was the reason or benefit?
Not stupid, but I am 9 years older than he is. I'm on SSD until 2 years from now when it becomes SS retirement. I think with the new rules he can not get a full SS benefit until he is 67. Another 13 years from now. So if I drop dead, any time between now and the time he is 62 he will find that my SS check is done as is the less than $100 pension from my ex. He will have no regualr income at all coming in. He can get SS partially at 62 I think but his amount is way lower than what I get. We are barely making ends meet as it is. I can't see him doing it on his own. I can't see him selling off the house, which is something I would have to do if something happened to him. I can't begin to maintain it. The taxes and cost of heat and electric are astronimical. They are killing us now financially and they will only be going up. One of the reasons that I have been setting aside money as I can to have some spare. I know it isn't enough for retirment, but when I hear stats that say we have more saved than the average Amaerican, I am shocked.

Yes, it is definitely our joint problem while we are still alive, but as I said if I died tomorrow, he will be in a world of financial hurt. We have been married 16+ years now and things have changed over the years. When someone tells you constantly that they don't feel good for one of about 100 different reasons, how can you decide that they aren't that bad and tell him to get to work? Before we had gotten married we had talked about me quitting owrk and he was okay with that when we got the finances sorted. Once in a while I have overheard him talking to his brothers about how much I was making when we got married and now it is just SS, plus the pattern businesss. He sounds so disappointed that he didn't get to live with a wife hauling in the kind of money I did then. It makes me think that he didn't think I actually would have quit working, since he thought I liked getting up every morning and driving through blizzards and Lake Effect snow to get to work 5 days aweek. He had been self-employed for so many years, he can't remember what it is like to make a grueling drive like that in the winter. Spend 8 hours at work, turn around and drive back. Rinse and repeat. So me 'quitting' work never happened. I couldn't go out to work anymore, but can adjust my life so I can do the sewing pattern business, but he works to a schedule that only he understands. If I get on his case about it or talk of lack of funds, he gets stressed. Mind you everything else is fine, he does help around the house, helps me when I need it, etc. but he is a very different man than the one I married. He deals each day with poor vision that people what that kind of difficulty knows it takes extra energy each day to try to see clearly enough to do his work. The last couple of years things with his health seems to have gotten especially bad and I don't know why, nor does he or his doctors.

Taking away the money part, he is my very good friend and we can talk about anything (except his work or money). When a person gets married, they can't forecast so far into the future to even guess how things will work out. People change. I'm doing the best I can to get us prepared for the future although I really wish that our future would be in a senior housing apartment with no yard work, a limited cost to live there, etc. That will be my future is something happens to him.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

Forum Posts: 66

I'm currently 31 years old now, but in my mind would like to retire at 40 years old . I know that will not happen and I will probably be bored to death if I do retire early. I rather travel the world but that will require a lot of $$$$. Anyways my plan is to have passive income when I retire from several income streams like rental properties, dividends stock/index funds dividends, and online income like my blog , needs a lot of work though.

I'm currently in my accumulation stage where I'm maxing my 401k, IRA, HSA, investing in taxable/dividends stocks, trying to buy more rental properties, and improving my blog. Hopefully I can semi retire one day @ 40 but can still produce some passive income. I also imagine myself doing handymen type of work for clients here and there, whenever I need the extra income.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:20 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailete View Post
Not stupid, but I am 9 years older than he is. I'm on SSD until 2 years from now when it becomes SS retirement. I think with the new rules he can not get a full SS benefit until he is 67. Another 13 years from now. So if I drop dead, any time between now and the time he is 62 he will find that my SS check is done as is the less than $100 pension from my ex. He will have no regualr income at all coming in. He can get SS partially at 62 I think but his amount is way lower than what I get..
Gailete,
Couldn’t your DH get a (reduced) social security survivor benefit based off your work record at age 60 in the above scenario?