Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree13Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 03:07 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Forum Posts: 2,446
Default Post Your Losses ...

I forgot my refillable water bottle at home so had to stop on my way to work for a $1.67 bottled water - ugh. Every 5 or 6 months I do this (forget my refillable water bottle).

Enough is enough. I have a cheap plastic covered water cup that I received as a promotional freebie. I don't use it very often because I don't like it very much. I just now stuck it in my purse to take to work tomorrow. I'll store it in my locker to use on the days that I forget my refillable water bottle.
rob62521 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Thrif-t's Avatar
$ Saving College Freshman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Forum Posts: 614
Default

Our leaf blower broke (again!) bought a new one for $129. I swear every other year ours breaks and we need a new one. I'm so tired of the crap they make now a days!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfr View Post
Every 5 or 6 months I ... (forget my refillable water bottle).
O. M. G. !!!!

scfr likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 05:13 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Forum Posts: 2,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrif-t View Post
Our leaf blower broke (again!) bought a new one for $129. I swear every other year ours breaks and we need a new one. I'm so tired of the crap they make now a days!
Ugh. That stinks.
rob62521 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2017, 06:58 PM
QuarterMillionMan's Avatar
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 776
Default

Sep 26 - Sep 28, Las Vegas trip came home with $200 less than I took there. Oct 6 - Oct 9, upcoming Las Vegas trip, hope to post in the "post your win" thread.
rob62521 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Thrif-t's Avatar
$ Saving College Freshman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Forum Posts: 614
Default

Ugh, had to have some repairs done to my DH's car to the tune of $700 this weekend.

Seem's like we have been bleeding money since August everything that can break has! I hate to see my emergency fund go down and down. Hope we can start to build it back up.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2017, 10:22 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
Sep 26 - Sep 28, Las Vegas trip came home with $200 less than I took there.
Is that a loss, or is it $200 worth of fun?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2017, 10:24 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrif-t View Post
I hate to see my emergency fund go down and down.
One point of view is that the purpose of money is to be spent, and that the purpose of the e-fund is to spend it on the kind of things you're spending it on.

So take heart that you have an e-fund!!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Thrif-t's Avatar
$ Saving College Freshman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Forum Posts: 614
Default

More losses today kinda.

I shop at WalMart, don't particularly care for it but I go there with all my ads and price match all the loss leaders from everywhere else. This saves me a bunch of time and money so I shop WalMart. Well today my cashier pointed to the sign posted, PRICE MATCH ENDS 10/16/17 dang it!

Oh and then Giant Eagle changed their fuel perks program, used to be anytime you scanned your grocery card at the pump you got 3 cents off the listed price per gallon. No longer. Now your gas purchases along with food purchases add up to rewards where you can get so much off a tank a gas or your food bill depending on your spendings. We liked the 3 cents off better because we have 5 drivers and we all took advantage of that for fill ups, whereas so much off per gallon will only be for one car.

And another and this one hurts. Filled out the Fafsa today for my college kids and our EFC was $900 too much to qualify for some pell grant money.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 813
Default

We had a family party this weekend and my daughter's bed collapsed when all the cousins sat on it. The wood frame is broken beyond repair and it is a weird pecan-like stain that would be extremely hard to match. My husband says just buy a new suite of furniture. I say either buy a plain steel frame, or since she wants a queen bed instead of full, swap the guest room furniture with her bedroom furniture and call it a day. I'm pretty sure I'm going to wake up to new bedroom furniture in her room pretty soon.

Also, I found out that we still owe my in-laws $10,000 for a coin collection my husband said he would buy and just hasn't paid them. I thought we handled this a long time ago. I'm ready to tear my hair out. Every single time I think we have all the money problems behind us and we are finally pulling ahead, something he does pops up. Every Single Time. So that is $10,000 out of our savings toward a new house. I said to give them $5,000 now for 1/2 of the collection, including all that he doesn't want to keep, and sell what he doesn't want. Then include the proceeds when we pay the other $,000. Plus, they have been keeping the coins in a safe deposit box for years, and I feel we should reimburse them for that, too.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2017, 01:39 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
Also, I found out that we still owe my in-laws $10,000 for a coin collection my husband said he would buy and just hasn't paid them. I thought we handled this a long time ago. I'm ready to tear my hair out.
And all this time, the one who he "bought" the coins from is thinking bad things about him.

Business dealings with family sure can cause problems...
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM
$ Saving College Junior
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Forum Posts: 1,442
Default

Not a major loss, but brought home some yarn that I thought was really good stuff...it isn't and is a pain to work with. It was donated to our church and I think I spent more time trying to work with it than it was really worth. So, I wound up buying some yarn (at a thrift store and like new) to make up for it. But a loss nonetheless since I had to have the yarn for a project.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:40 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania
Forum Posts: 1,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrif-t View Post
More losses today kinda.

I shop at WalMart, don't particularly care for it but I go there with all my ads and price match all the loss leaders from everywhere else. This saves me a bunch of time and money so I shop WalMart. Well today my cashier pointed to the sign posted, PRICE MATCH ENDS 10/16/17 dang it!

Oh and then Giant Eagle changed their fuel perks program, used to be anytime you scanned your grocery card at the pump you got 3 cents off the listed price per gallon. No longer. Now your gas purchases along with food purchases add up to rewards where you can get so much off a tank a gas or your food bill depending on your spendings. We liked the 3 cents off better because we have 5 drivers and we all took advantage of that for fill ups, whereas so much off per gallon will only be for one car.

And another and this one hurts. Filled out the Fafsa today for my college kids and our EFC was $900 too much to qualify for some pell grant money.
Our WM ended the price match earlier than that. Since my son helps me get groceries and run errands when we are at GE all the purchases go on his card. I don't earn much since I am rarely at GE without him. I used to get some good deals, however now that we don't get the Sunday paper supplements for coupons and I don't have the energy to go through all the coupon sites on line. I do try to keep up with CVS sales though.
__________________
Gailete
http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:42 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
And all this time, the one who he "bought" the coins from is thinking bad things about him.

Business dealings with family sure can cause problems...
It gets better. I had him call his parents in front of me to try to make payment arrangements and it turns out that it is more like $20,000 and not $10,000. Now he is saying that he never told me $10,000, but he just said it 2 days ago. And he wants to re-evaluate the collection and pay what they are worth now. I say pay what they agreed to. There is a good chance that silver was worth more then than it is now and is he really going to make his parents lose money? I have a feeling he thinks the collection is worth more now and we should pay the difference, but we just don't have that kind of money right now. But he loves to complicate things.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
It gets better. I had him call his parents in front of me to try to make payment arrangements and it turns out that it is more like $20,000 and not $10,000. Now he is saying that he never told me $10,000, but he just said it 2 days ago. And he wants to re-evaluate the collection and pay what they are worth now. I say pay what they agreed to. There is a good chance that silver was worth more then than it is now and is he really going to make his parents lose money? I have a feeling he thinks the collection is worth more now and we should pay the difference, but we just don't have that kind of money right now. But he loves to complicate things.
I feel for you.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania
Forum Posts: 1,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
I feel for you.
As do I. I lived through a husband pulling those kinds of stunts. and when out credit card bills, mortgage and car payment, hit higher than our combined take home income I knew he had to go no matter how I felt about him. The stress was killing me.
msomnipotent likes this.
__________________
Gailete
http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:53 PM
$ Saving Assistant Professor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: W. Canada
Forum Posts: 4,146
Default

Suggestion for daughter's bedrm suite. It is no longer fashionable to use a matching suite. You can sell the idea to her as 'déclassé.' It's practical to buy a sized adjustable, roller frame, usually available from online FB sellers or Habitat Re-store for the box spring & mattress. The Pecan colored headboard attaches with bolts. It's a fun and nearly fail proof project to use Chalk paint to give the pieces a brand new look. No undercoat needed, slight sanding to better adhere paint and merely roller on.
msomnipotent likes this.

Last edited by snafu; 10-11-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 AM
$ Saving Jr. College Student
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Forum Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
It gets better. I had him call his parents in front of me to try to make payment arrangements and it turns out that it is more like $20,000 and not $10,000. Now he is saying that he never told me $10,000, but he just said it 2 days ago. And he wants to re-evaluate the collection and pay what they are worth now. I say pay what they agreed to. There is a good chance that silver was worth more then than it is now and is he really going to make his parents lose money? I have a feeling he thinks the collection is worth more now and we should pay the difference, but we just don't have that kind of money right now. But he loves to complicate things.
Coin collections are almost always overvalued. I would recommend taking it to a trust worthy coin shop and getting a purchase quote, not an appraisal. With coins I find there is a large difference between what someone will pay and what the owner thinks they are worth.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2017, 12:00 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
Coin collections are almost always overvalued. I would recommend taking it to a trust worthy coin shop and getting a purchase quote, not an appraisal. With coins I find there is a large difference between what someone will pay and what the owner thinks they are worth.
That's very true, but irrelevant if you've already promised to sell at an over-valued price.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 PM
$ Saving Assistant Professor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: W. Canada
Forum Posts: 4,146
Default

Earlier today I read an article explaining the sale of gold coins are down, world wide. With gold prices dropping and yet another war threatening, would you consider buying gold coins as Christmas gifts?

Do many SA participants have coin collections? My dad gave me an African gold coin [in a bezel] as his personal wedding gift to me and it's a pretty necklace worn on a simple gold chain.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.