Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2017, 02:50 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,722

Quote:
Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
No. I bought a new computer because we thought the old one was infected even though we couldn't find a virus. It happened before with some other virus that Norton didn't detect a few years ago.
You can get the OS reinstalled to a virgin state.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:00 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 580

This has kind of gotten pushed to the back burner with me because I've been so engrossed with Hurricane Irma and worrying about family & friends in FL. BUT I read that the site where you check if you are impacted wasn't working. I know one time it said I was and another I wasn't. Not sure if it is fixed or not, that's where Irma distracted me.

But one way to avoid getting all worried about these hacks is to freeze your credit https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs. I did for me and DH years ago. I also did my DS16 when his info was compromised from the Anthem hack. Tomorrow I'm going to help my DD21 & DD19 start the process to freeze their credit.

If we want to get loans or new credit cards, we'll unfreeze to do so. Might be a hassle for my kids but I guess it will just be a way of life for them.
Nutria likes this.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:30 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrif-t View Post
But one way to avoid getting all worried about these hacks is to freeze your credit https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs. I did for me and DH years ago. I also did my DS16 when his info was compromised from the Anthem hack. Tomorrow I'm going to help my DD21 & DD19 start the process to freeze their credit.

If we want to get loans or new credit cards, we'll unfreeze to do so. Might be a hassle for my kids but I guess it will just be a way of life for them.
Of course, if someone has *all* your vitals, what's to stop a Bad Guy from impersonating you to unfreeze your credit?
Joan.of.the.Arch likes this.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:49 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
Of course, if someone has *all* your vitals, what's to stop a Bad Guy from impersonating you to unfreeze your credit?
Well thanks Nutria for giving me something to worry about. I hope they can't get my password that you need to unfreeze me! But I still order my credit reports, one every 4 mos from the 3 bureaus to monitor things.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Based on that CV, she has been working in IT for at least 15 years. Why would you question her competency based on her college major?

The surgeon analogy is flawed. Becoming a surgeon REQUIRES a medical degree and a surgical residency. An IT job does NOT require an IT degree.

I don't want to derail this thread but we've discussed before that only 27% of people work in the field of their college major. Does that mean that 73% of workers are incompetent?
In a professional field, it is my opinion that the person should have a formal education and the appropriate credentials if they're in a position to make important professional or management level decisions, especially if it impacts the wellbeing of the general public.. If the person is an intern or does entry level work only, then the education is not necessary. So as long as the 73% of people aren't doing the sort of work I just explained, and I hazard a guess that in general they don't, it is not an issue.

In my profession, and yours I'd imagine, it is not really possible to rise beyond a certain level without the proper experience, education, and credentials. The restrictions are both within the profession, encouraging individuals to get the required education, and by laws in place to prevent unqualified people from attaining those positions. There is good reason for this.
Nutria likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bs View Post
In a professional field, it is my opinion that the person should have a formal education and the appropriate credentials if they're in a position to make important professional or management level decisions
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. In a "professional" field, sure. That's why we have medical school, dental school, law school, etc. In a computer job, not at all. Maybe it's a function of my age but when I was in school, the computer field was still in its infancy. I have many peers today who have jobs in the computer fields including some in upper management or even running their own companies. They don't have degrees in those fields because those degree programs didn't even exist when they went to school in the late 70s and early 80s.

What degrees did Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have again? Oh yeah, they both dropped out of college and never earned degrees. I guess that makes them incompetent.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:37 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Apparently, https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/ is bogus, and we gave someone our last names and most of SSNs.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Update, we called today and put a freeze on our dd's credit, we weren't charged a fee to do this with Equifax, I guess cause of the hack? But we did have to pay the $5 fee our state charges for the other two.

And I tried all weekend on my work computer and home computer and I couldn't get a credit report from annualcreditreport.com for either girls online. I ended up calling from home and ordering them. Not sure if anyone else has tried to pull reports on line and been unsuccessful?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:54 AM
$ Saving Fourth Grader

Forum Posts: 22

The Equifax data breach has impacted 143,000,000 people from May 13, 2017 - July 30, 2017.

Learn how to protect all your financial data. In addition provided is a direct link to the place on the Equifax site explaining how this breach will impact consumers and the steps Equifax is taking in damage control.
clatoden99 and colby99 like this.

Tags
credit, equifax