Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2017, 04:43 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 777

Has anyone done the Hawaii 7 nighter? I live in Los Angeles now but wished I had done the Hawaii cruise when I had lived there for my first 37 years. It starts in Honolulu, Hawaii, then goes to Maui, Molokai, the big Island (possibly Kona & Hilo), maybe Lanai, Kauai, and back to Honolulu. It would have been so convenient. No need to book airfare or hotel. I think the 7 nights run about $999 base price and goes up from there.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
Has anyone done the Hawaii 7 nighter? I live in Los Angeles now but wished I had done the Hawaii cruise when I had lived there for my first 37 years. It starts in Honolulu, Hawaii, then goes to Maui, Molokai, the big Island (possibly Kona & Hilo), maybe Lanai, Kauai, and back to Honolulu. It would have been so convenient. No need to book airfare or hotel. I think the 7 nights run about $999 base price and goes up from there.
We have not but we'd love to. This is a great example of when a cruise is a unique choice. You can island hop by plane but it's far more complicated. It is so much easier to just have a floating hotel that moves you from island to island while you sleep.
QuarterMillionMan likes this.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:58 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 614

Steve I think I want to do a Bermuda Cruise now, you've convinced me!

And for all the reasons Renegade posted, that's why I like to cruise. My family looks to me to plan vacations and when something doesn't work out right with a location/outing/whatever, I get all the blame. Cruising takes all the pressure off me.

I think I've said this before but we lucked out on getting on a pretty cheap Disney cruise for our family of 5 in 2 connecting inside rooms when the economy tanked in 08. The rooms on Disney ships are spacious and no problems in the bathrooms. You get a full size tub/shower combo like you'd have in your main bath of your house. The shows were awesome and so was the food. Now that the kids are all older I don't think we'd do Disney again plus yikes have you seen their prices $$$$$!!!

In fact all cruises seem to be expensive for us now. But if the economy turns again and we are all right job wise, that is when I'll be looking to do those kinds of vacations again with the kids.
LivingAlmostLarge likes this.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrif-t View Post
In fact all cruises seem to be expensive for us now.
I don't think cruising is quite the bargain it used to be, or at least not if you're going in the main seasons and want to be on the newer ships. The other issue is that cruising has gotten tremendously more popular. The cheapest rates are as soon as booking opens. As time passes and the ships fill, the rates climb. So if you do want to book a cruise, the earlier the better. Of course, that might mean booking 18 months in advance and not everyone is able to do that. Our last cruise was in December 2016 and we booked it in April or May 2015. But we did get a great deal.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Forum Posts: 924

My biggest negative issues were the crowds, waiting in lines and being herded around like cattle. To say our cruise gave you a good picture of Alaska would be like saying Branson is a good representation of Missouri. I won't do another anytime real soon.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:48 PM

Forum Posts: 856

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
This is the main reason I hear that people dislike cruising, and I can understand that. When we travel, we also like to explore. My wife and I are going to Kentucky in a few weeks for 7 days, 5 of which will be spent in and around Louisville. We have a whole list of things we want to see and do. If you dropped me in Louisville and said, "You've got 8 hours - go!" I'd probably be disappointed. But my expectations on a cruise are totally different than my expectations on a land vacation and I love both ways of doing it.

If the idea of visiting a different place every day doesn't appeal to you but you would still like to experience a cruise, or perhaps the rest of your family really wants to do one, I would repeat the advice I gave above and recommend Bermuda. If you sail from NYC, it's 2 days on the ship, then 3 days docked in Bermuda where you can come and go freely 24 hours a day, then 1 day on the ship to get home. You can basically just use the ship as your hotel and nothing more if you'd like. We spent the vast majority of our time on the island exploring every corner of it.
I think a cruise that stops in a brand new place daily makes more sense to me than one that takes days to beeline to Alaska or to wherever, drops you off at a few ports (kind of homogenous experience), does a driveby of the glaciers, then make its way back to the lower 48. Maybe something like an European cruise that can experience a lot of different cultures and countries constantly since they're all packed into that Mediterranean area, and you could literally wake up every day with the ship docked in a new country. That type of cruise is a "sampler", if you will... A traditional airplane trip is more of a "main course" of a few select locations at the most.

Edit: or that Hawaiian cruise you guys mentioned. Room rates in Hawaii are obscene right now since all hotels are constantly at capacity, being able to use the ship as a hotel is a plus. Not to mention not having to book flights to different islands. I only saw that post after. Of course, for me personally a Hawaiian cruise might not make much sense
LivingAlmostLarge likes this.

Last edited by ~bs; 09-06-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude77 View Post
My biggest negative issues were the crowds, waiting in lines and being herded around like cattle.
I haven't done an Alaska cruise but what were you waiting in line for and when did you feel like you were being herded?

The only lines I can think of were waiting to get into a show or waiting for the main dining room to open, but you could avoid those lines by showing up 5-10 minutes after the doors opened. For the dining room, I have no idea why people lined up as you had an assigned table. It makes more sense for the theaters because it's general seating so if you come a bit later, you might not get as good a seat, but we really didn't care. There weren't any bad seats. So even though we were on one of the 3 largest ships in the world, it never felt crowded and we never waited in any significant lines.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Forum Posts: 917

I've never gone on a cruise, but I'd like to some day. It seems like it would be a thing that would appeal to me. Not sure if it would be easy to find things to eat or not though, since I stopped eating meat, eggs, and dairy a year and a half ago. I'll have to research that more.

My mom and dad have their 50 year anniversary in 2026, and I was thinking me and my sister might try to take them on a cruise to Hawaii. We went once when we were kids. I think they would enjoy it.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamchan View Post
Not sure if it would be easy to find things to eat or not though, since I stopped eating meat, eggs, and dairy a year and a half ago. I'll have to research that more.
I'm not sure how good cruises are with food allergies and things like celiac issues but if it's just a matter of you not eating certain things by choice (or for health reasons), I think a cruise is an excellent option. On the newer/larger ships, there are endless food choices and dining venues. I thought the buffet on Oasis was very impressive. It had dishes from various cultures to appeal to an international crowd and the food was fresh, hot, and good. The menus in the dining rooms were sufficiently varied and always included meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetarian options at every meal. I don't think you'd have any trouble at all eating well.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I haven't done an Alaska cruise but what were you waiting in line for and when did you feel like you were being herded?
You arranged day trips / excursions on the ship for when you arrived in next port. Had to stand around waiting for everyone else to get there, walk somewhere to board big bus, cram in bus to go to your destination, then more lines to board and whale watch tour, jet boat trip or whatever. Most excursions also had big galley style lunches with more lines, crowding and waiting.

Anytime you got to a port to visit and look around, the streets were jam packed with tourists, restaurants and stores full to the gills, etc. because all of these little 2,500 people port towns just had (3) boats of 2,000 passengers dumped in their laps. Guessing it's that way all season?

The ship itself also seemed pretty claustrophobic, constantly jammed around people with exception of your tiny suite. Crowded dining halls, everyone jamming the sides to see whales, crowded elevators, lines to get on & off ship, etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You arranged day trips / excursions on the ship for when you arrived in next port. Had to stand around waiting for everyone else to get there, walk somewhere to board big bus, cram in bus to go to your destination, then more lines to board and whale watch tour, jet boat trip or whatever. Most excursions also had big galley style lunches with more lines, crowding and waiting.

Anytime you got to a port to visit and look around, the streets were jam packed with tourists, restaurants and stores full to the gills, etc. because all of these little 2,500 people port towns just had (3) boats of 2,000 passengers dumped in their laps. Guessing it's that way all season?

The ship itself also seemed pretty claustrophobic, constantly jammed around people with exception of your tiny suite. Crowded dining halls, everyone jamming the sides to see whales, crowded elevators, lines to get on & off ship, etc.
Understood. In Alaska, are most of the ports places where you can't really just wander on your own? I've only cruised to the Caribbean and in most of those ports, you can just walk off the ship and go where you'd like. You can do an organized excursion if you wish, and we've done several, but you can also just go off on your own which we've also done many times.

The only ports I recall where there was some waiting involved were Key West where you had to take a shuttle from the ship to the front of the shipyard and one other (Belize, maybe?) where you had to take tenders from the ship to shore.

As for the crowding on the ship, I suppose that's a function of the particular ship you were on.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by kork13 View Post

There's probably an underlying anxiety disorder in there somewhere, but I really struggle with planning vacations.
Im not sure how old you are but my parents struggle to book things. They still use a travel agent. Ive been helping them in the past couple years...booking rental cars, hotels, flights. Maybe its an older generation thing. Talk about an industry that will be gone in the next 20 years...travel agents.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:51 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post

This sounds painful. I couldnt imagine squeezing in 3 islands in 7 days. Also...the big island is huge. You need a rental car. By the time you pick up the rental and drive to destination you'd have a few hours to do what you want before it was time to leave.

Oahu...my guess is you get shuttled to waikiki. Again a huge tourist trap. Rental car to get to north shore...can spend multiple days there.

Maui...not sure where you'd get dropped off at. Spread out island...you'd need a rental. Road to hana blows an entire day...no way around it. Another day for sunrise at haleakala...snorkeling at honolua bay...theres a day blown...thats 2 days already and you havent scratched the surface of that island.

Big island...forget it. Too big to do much of anything in a day. You have kilauea in hilo...which btw is flowing lava in the ocean...if you're going to go now is the time. Mauna kea at night for telescopes and star gazing. Kona for all the coffee, good snorkeling, kayaking. Manata ray night diving or snokeling at the sheraton. Theres a crammed 3 days right there. (really crammed)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennigade View Post
Talk about an industry that will be gone in the next 20 years...travel agents.
People have been predicting the demise of travel agents for years and there's no sign of it happening. There will always be people who want help booking their trips. And there will always be circumstances where an agent is needed.

Really, there's no reason not to use an agent. It doesn't cost you anything and a good agent can save you hundreds or thousands of dollars and avoid lots of headaches if anything goes wrong.

We don't routinely use an agent but we do at times. Last time was actually when we took our last cruise. We were traveling with a group and the only way to book was through the agent. You couldn't do it on your own if you wanted to be part of the group. We could have gotten on the same ship but not at the group rate and not as part of the group.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:18 AM

Slightly off subject.
Parked beside our ship in one port was a small National Geographic ship, maybe 100' long. Had inflatables with outboards on the roof, they were filling scuba tanks, etc., so I chatted with young guy about this.

They do small cruises to remote places really getting out in the outdoors and getting out and doing things. I could see one of these being much more to my liking, but it's far from a cruise ship experience and doubt if my wife would like it.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Slightly off subject.
Parked beside our ship in one port was a small National Geographic ship, maybe 100' long. Had inflatables with outboards on the roof, they were filling scuba tanks, etc., so I chatted with young guy about this.

They do small cruises to remote places really getting out in the outdoors and getting out and doing things. I could see one of these being much more to my liking, but it's far from a cruise ship experience and doubt if my wife would like it.
Definitely different than a megaship cruise, but that's part of my point. When people say, "I don't like cruises" they're generally talking about one specific type of cruise. The cruise industry encompasses a wide variety of experiences, from Windjammer cruises that hold 50-60 people to megaships that hold 6,000 or more. You could cruise the Mississippi on a Victorian paddlewheeler. There are so many options that all fall under the umbrella of "cruising".

Old 09-07-2017, 08:52 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Slightly off subject.

Sounds like a liveaboard trip. Its not a cruise at all. You live/sleep on the boat...scuba several times a day and stop at islands/beaches. Its mainly for scuba diving and its bare bones. Sometimes it takes several days to get to the areas where the reefs havent been destroyed.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Slightly off subject.
Parked beside our ship in one port was a small National Geographic ship
National Geographic has a pretty extensive cruise program.
http://www.nationalgeographicexpedit...utm_medium=cpc

Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennigade View Post
Its not a cruise at all.
What defines whether or not it is a cruise? I don't mean to be snarky but I'm curious how different people define it.

I just Googled "what is a cruise?" and got this definition:
"a voyage on a ship or boat taken for pleasure or as a vacation and usually calling in at several places."

By that criteria, the trip Fishindude77 mentioned would certainly qualify.

Last edited by disneysteve; 09-07-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
What defines whether or not it is a cruise? I don't mean to be snarky but I'm curious how different people define it.

I just Googled "what is a cruise?" and got this definition:
"a voyage on a ship or boat taken for pleasure or as a vacation and usually calling in at several places."

By that criteria, the trip Fishindude77 mentioned would certainly qualify.
I stand corrected. I have been on several cruises. Just last month I was on a cruise I suppose. They arent so bad after all although the cruise I was on during my honeymoon made me sick in the guts.

Last edited by disneysteve; 09-07-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo