Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 10:15 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 917
Default Looking for a place to relocate to

My husband's office is closing in the spring, and after that he'll be working from home, so we're looking to get out of the Seattle area. I'm not really wanting to move to one of the surrounding cities because I forsee those areas becoming just as unaffordable as the bay area in the near future. My husband makes around 47k a year, and I currently make around 35-55k depending on how many hours I put in, but I would be having to find a new job after we move.

Here's the things that are pretty much required in an area for us to consider:

- The neighborhood must be fairly walkable and have a decent transit system. My husband is legally blind and unable to drive, so living in a heavily car dependant area isn't workable. I have been using the walk score website to check out different areas and any neighborhood in the 80s or 90s should be great. It is really neighborhood dependant because Anchorage, where I lived previously, has a walk score of 37, but the part of town I lived in was an 82, and I lived there just fine for 3 years with no car.

- Affordable rents (around $1000 a month or less for a 2 br). We currently pay $1440 for a 1 br with a bonus room so anything higher than that or around the same won't make much sense.

- Mild winters and doesn't often go over 100 F in the summer. My husband and I both have medical conditions that make extreme temperatures very difficult to live with. Dry hot/cold is better than humid.

Things that would be nice but not at all necessary:

- Vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurants nearby.
- Legal marijuana (I only use once or twice a year, and tend to travel to legal states, so this is not a huge issue personally. It's more of a principle.)

Any places I should look at? Albuquerque is pretty high on my list right now. I used to live there and loved it.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:38 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamchan View Post
My husband's office is closing in the spring, and after that he'll be working from home, so we're looking to get out of the Seattle area. I'm not really wanting to move to one of the surrounding cities because I forsee those areas becoming just as unaffordable as the bay area in the near future. My husband makes around 47k a year, and I currently make around 35-55k depending on how many hours I put in, but I would be having to find a new job after we move.

Here's the things that are pretty much required in an area for us to consider:

- The neighborhood must be fairly walkable and have a decent transit system. My husband is legally blind and unable to drive, so living in a heavily car dependant area isn't workable. I have been using the walk score website to check out different areas and any neighborhood in the 80s or 90s should be great. It is really neighborhood dependant because Anchorage, where I lived previously, has a walk score of 37, but the part of town I lived in was an 82, and I lived there just fine for 3 years with no car.

- Affordable rents (around $1000 a month or less for a 2 br). We currently pay $1440 for a 1 br with a bonus room so anything higher than that or around the same won't make much sense.

- Mild winters and doesn't often go over 100 F in the summer. My husband and I both have medical conditions that make extreme temperatures very difficult to live with. Dry hot/cold is better than humid.

Things that would be nice but not at all necessary:

- Vegan/vegetarian friendly restaurants nearby.
- Legal marijuana (I only use once or twice a year, and tend to travel to legal states, so this is not a huge issue personally. It's more of a principle.)

Any places I should look at? Albuquerque is pretty high on my list right now. I used to live there and loved it.
Amarillo, Texas. A smaller ABQ without the gangs. No state income tax. You can rent a nice place for that kind of money. Public transport is available but isn't the best, though you will likely live within a mile of a shopping hub somewhere.

3800 feet elevation, 20 inches of rain per year. Many summers the temp doesn't reach 100. There are a few bitterly cold spells each winter, but generally the weather is mild.

Top notch medical care, decent university and college area.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Forum Posts: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHusker View Post
Amarillo, Texas. A smaller ABQ without the gangs. No state income tax. You can rent a nice place for that kind of money. Public transport is available but isn't the best, though you will likely live within a mile of a shopping hub somewhere.

3800 feet elevation, 20 inches of rain per year. Many summers the temp doesn't reach 100. There are a few bitterly cold spells each winter, but generally the weather is mild.

Top notch medical care, decent university and college area.
Thanks! I will definitely give it a look!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 PM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 4,146

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/sout...county/madison

When we considered relocating to USA, Madison, Wi kept making top 5.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:51 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
https://www.travelwisconsin.com/sout...county/madison

When we considered relocating to USA, Madison, Wi kept making top 5.
My only concern with Madison is the 6 months of winter. Another area I would consider that meets a number of the OP's criteria is Las Cruces, NM.

Last edited by TexasHusker; 09-04-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:32 AM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,744

Henderson NV? Flagstaff AZ?

TH why Amarillo? Why not one of the major cities in TX? Like DFW, San Antionio, houston, Austin?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:10 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
Henderson NV? Flagstaff AZ?

TH why Amarillo? Why not one of the major cities in TX? Like DFW, San Antionio, houston, Austin?
Heat and humidity - the OP suggested that dry is better and that temps above 100 degrees are problematic. That would mean most of Texas is out of the picture.

I suggested Amarillo because it is around 3800 feet elevation, and has a high-desert climate.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 PM

Forum Posts: 813

Ohhh, I loved Flagstaff when I went last year. My husband and I even daydreamed about buying a condo out there. Then he changed his mind when it snowed 3 inches the next day. I also thought that the food tasted really bland, but that may have been the elevation. But we thought it was beautiful and there is a ton of things to do out there. The cost of living seemed to be on par with Chicago.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:08 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
Ohhh, I loved Flagstaff when I went last year. My husband and I even daydreamed about buying a condo out there. Then he changed his mind when it snowed 3 inches the next day. I also thought that the food tasted really bland, but that may have been the elevation. But we thought it was beautiful and there is a ton of things to do out there. The cost of living seemed to be on par with Chicago.
One of coldest places I've ever been is flagstaff in January.