Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2017, 11:42 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
How much do they charge for the privilege of monthly or quarterly payments?
Definitely this.

Even though Progressive only charges a $5 fee for monthly payment, our actual premium was 20% lower last month when paying it up-front.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:01 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,375

Delay purchases of "wants."

If you see something that you want to buy, on-line or in the store, and this applies to entertainment events too, make a note of it on your calendar for some period of time in the future (1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, whatever works for you). When the future date rolls around, if you still really want it and still think it's worth the money (and if you have the money of course), go ahead and buy it.

My personal experience is that, almost always, I don't buy it. And sometimes I wind up asking myself "why on earth did I ever want to buy that?"
Nutria likes this.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 PM
$ Saving HS Senior

Forum Posts: 290

Through most payroll companies, you can specify that money go in more than one account on pay day. Hence, money could go directly into a savings account on pay day. Few know about this since companies rarely share this information to staff.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:47 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatoden99 View Post
companies rarely share this information to staff.
Really?
Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,434

As far as saving on groceries, study the ads. They are on a cycle when they put things on sale. If, for example, you like a certain pasta and the grocery has it on sale, buy enough of it on sale to have and use until the next time they have it on sale. And if you can, shop around. There are weeks we wind up going to Aldi, Kroger, and another store because of what is one sale or where it is cheaper.

If you can grow your own vegetables, this is also a way to save money. We don't have a huge yard, but hubby grows tomatoes, mostly in our front yard. He has some in big pots and some in the ground. Tastier than those from the store and he has had such a good crops the past couple of years, I have been able to can some. Before I learned to can, I froze them. Far cheaper and healthier than the processed stuff.

In other ways, take care of what you own. I saw many were talking about working on cars. I can't repair my car, but I can make sure the tire pressure is where it should be and get the oil changed, and keep it clean. For those of us fortunate to have garages, storing it in the garage probably helps take care of it since it is out of the weather part of the time. We have so many people who live in our town who have garages, but they are full of junk and can't get their cars in them.

Another way to save money is to help each other. We save our egg cartons and cottage cheese containers for a lady who has chickens and she uses the egg cartons for the eggs. She runs a restaurant and uses the plastic containers for leftovers since she often cannot store the food at the restaurant and instead of throwing it out, she takes it home and eats it. In turn, she has given us some eggs.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:56 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,244

Cut your own lawn, do minor auto repairs yourself, get rid of cable TV!
amarowsky likes this.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:12 PM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,677

Don't buy crap. Sounds easy but it's really not. I can't tell you the number of friends who say they don't know where their money goes but when asked they have been shopping online. Seriously they buy $100s of dollars of stuff and can't even fathom that buying even a DEAL on amazon is still spending money.

best deal? Don't buy it.
disneysteve and Nutria like this.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
Don't buy crap. Sounds easy but it's really not. I can't tell you the number of friends who say they don't know where their money goes but when asked they have been shopping online. Seriously they buy $100s of dollars of stuff and can't even fathom that buying even a DEAL on amazon is still spending money.

best deal? Don't buy it.
There was a great SNL skit years ago with Steve Martin called "Don't Buy Stuff You Cannot Afford." However, that's only part of the problem. An even better rule is don't buy stuff you don't need, even if you can afford it.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:59 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post

best deal? Don't buy it.
LOL because "saving 25%" still means you're spending money...
Old 10-03-2017, 05:53 AM
$ Saving HS Freshman

Forum Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfr View Post
Delay purchases of "wants."

If you see something that you want to buy, on-line or in the store, and this applies to entertainment events too, make a note of it on your calendar for some period of time in the future (1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, whatever works for you). When the future date rolls around, if you still really want it and still think it's worth the money (and if you have the money of course), go ahead and buy it.

My personal experience is that, almost always, I don't buy it. And sometimes I wind up asking myself "why on earth did I ever want to buy that?"
I do this on Amazon. When I shop, I add stuff to my cart and leave it. Mostly because I want to have enough qualifying purchases to get free shipping. When I think of something else to buy, I go through my cart and usually end up deleting stuff. When I'm ready to make a purchase, my cart is well-curated.
Nutria likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibe11e View Post
I do this on Amazon. When I shop, I add stuff to my cart and leave it. Mostly because I want to have enough qualifying purchases to get free shipping. When I think of something else to buy, I go through my cart and usually end up deleting stuff. When I'm ready to make a purchase, my cart is well-curated.
I keep things in my Amazon wish list and I made a Christmas list to keep track of ideas. I also check camelcamelcamel and use their price tracker to make sure I'm getting a good deal, along with checking other stores' prices. There have been a few times when I get an email from the price tracker and think, "Why am I tracking this???" so you know I don't really need it. The wish list gets narrowed down a lot, too.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:55 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,577

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
It's important to review your insurance coverage [term life, auto, home/rental]. If you have an Emergency Fund, it may be cost efficient to increase your deductible on home and auto. With rising home building costs, is your coverage adequate? Do your policies cover sewer back-up, flood? What is your risk factor?

Is your auto coverage commensurate with the KBB value of your vehicle[s] Insurers do not care how much you owe, in case of a claim only their evaluation, less deductible will be paid out. Ask your agent to send your policy coverage needs 'out to bid,' or check on line for premiums for at least 3 insurers, for current and adjusted coverage. How much do they charge for the privilege of monthly or quarterly payments?

The difference in premium is primarily the commission paid to the agent as claims are really paid out by one of the 3 giant re-insurers.

Is your [term] life insurance policy adequate to serve your family's future needs? If you carry other types of life insurance...why?
This is something my son keeps bugging me about. You want to stay on the straight and narrow financially, raise a high functioning autistic kid to be frugal!!

But he is usually reminding me of this while we are in the car going shopping, and I forget. Seeing it here made me write it on a list of things to do. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:13 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,577

Quote:
keep things in my Amazon wish list and I made a Christmas list to keep track of ideas
I do this as well so that my kids when they want to get me a gift, know what I want. Especially since it is 6 pages long I think at this point.

Quote:
As far as saving on groceries, study the ads. They are on a cycle when they put things on sale. If, for example, you like a certain pasta and the grocery has it on sale, buy enough of it on sale to have and use until the next time they have it on sale. And if you can, shop around. There are weeks we wind up going to Aldi, Kroger, and another store because of what is one sale or where it is cheaper.
I used to do this along with coupons and rebates. Physically I just don't have the oomph any more, but my son that knows what I get will let me know when something I buy is on sale. I used to never buy anything but block cheese, now with rare exceptions I get the shredded on sale as I can't handle grating it myself. He tracks frozen items (he used to manage the frozen food dept. at the grocery store) and he always tells me when Prego or Ragu is on sale as a joke since I wouldn't buy that even if it was listed for a quarter. Now he does most of the work to make spaghetti sauce while I supervise.

Quote:
Take advantage of credit card rewards. Either cash back or some form of points for air miles or hotel stays, etc.
The other day I could have kicked myself. Our car inspection ran over $700 and knowing we didn't have cash to cover it, sent my husband off with a credit card check. If I had just handed him a card I wouldn't have had the transaction fee and would have also gotten the points. I had to get something at Amazon today and was able to cash in around $13 of reward credits to bring the whole order to less than $10. I hate using credit cards and have been working hard to pay cash as much as possible, but if I have to use one, I want to get the most out of it.

Quote:
2) Cut the cable, use Netflix, Sling, Amazon prime, Hulu, etc.... I can't tell you how many of my friends, who earn similar or less than me, still have $160 monthly cable +net bills. My internet is $40 a month, and netflix + Amazon prime is $18.25. I'll take the extra ~$100 a month, and use it to pay down debt or invest.
We have rabbit ears and bought a $40 converter box way back when. We get more than enough channels for what we watch and we have plenty of videos and DVDs when there isn't anything on TV that we might want to watch. We just can't see forking out money every month just to watch TV.

I've also little by little decluttering. I had a brand new bed with mattress that we sold on Craig's List for $400 earlier this summer and we got our new renters through it as well. I didn't even realize that our area had CL until I went looking for it. As I declutter things that don't go into the trash or to the thrift store will get sold on CL or online.
rob62521 likes this.

Tags
frugality