Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2017, 12:44 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,645

It must have truly been an amazing experience, because there was a Weather Channel reporter who was bawling at the eclipse. Or perhaps she just needs to get out of the house a little more.

Myself, I was enjoying a pulled pork sandwich during the whole thing, and I didn't think it was worth it to stop eating just to look at something freaky in the sky. I'll try to catch it in 2024 if I'm still this side of the daisies.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:36 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
Fuji X-T2. No tripod. Exposed for the corona, in other words, for daylight.

We think we had 2 min 35 sec of totality. It was over so quickly. We were in Chester, Illinois, pretty close to Carbondale where msomnipotent was. Lots of people went to Carbondale.

Oh yeah, we were pretty close. I was at Crab Orchard lake. I wish we brought our real camera because our cell phone cameras didn't take anything decent. Our cottage is just about 30 mins from totality for the 2024 eclipse, so I guess we get another shot.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:20 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 853

idk, for me personally i didn't even care about the eclipse at all. you can find way better pictures online than you could take yourself. I experienced a total eclipse when I was a child back in the 90s. Yeah, its cool when you're a kid, and if you have kids you want to experience it. But as an adult? meh, the sun comes out and goes away every day. Not a big deal. But that's just my .02
Old 08-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bs View Post
idk, for me personally i didn't even care about the eclipse at all. you can find way better pictures online than you could take yourself. I experienced a total eclipse when I was a child back in the 90s. Yeah, its cool when you're a kid, and if you have kids you want to experience it. But as an adult? meh, the sun comes out and goes away every day. Not a big deal. But that's just my .02
I think it probably would have been neat if we were somewhere near totality but we were only at about 75% which basically was like the sun going behind a cloud and it getting a little dimmer out for a bit.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:57 PM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bs View Post

I saw a total eclipse in the 70's and still remember it. If I didn't have a kid, I would have stayed home for this one. But honestly, looking at pictures online just isn't the same. It was really cool and a great learning experience for my daughter. She loved the NASA booths at Carbondale and for some reason was so impressed with being able to talk to "real NASA people", even though the guy she was talking to had the same exact job title as my husband. It was a lot more than just an eclipse for her. But for the adults, not so much. I will do this again for our daughter since the next one will be close to our cottage, but I really don't understand why some people travel around the world to watch.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:25 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 853

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I think it probably would have been neat if we were somewhere near totality but we were only at about 75% which basically was like the sun going behind a cloud and it getting a little dimmer out for a bit.
non totality isn't anywhere near the same, unfortunately. I think it's only when the sun is almost completely blocked, it really gets dar,
Old 08-29-2017, 01:28 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
One thing you can do and get approximately the same effect is step outside and close your eyes.