Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2017, 04:47 PM
$ Saving Pre Schooler

Forum Posts: 1
Default Good podcasts or audio books...

I work on an assembly line and the company recently allowed us to wear ear buds (which is awesome because my job is totally mindless and I have to be there 12 hours a day). At first I listened to music, but I've realized I'm not really a musical guy so I thought I would try to improve myself. I have listened to all of the archives on Dave Ramsey's app and now I need some new suggestions. Anything personal finance (we're working through paying off our debt) or just general self improvement type stuff.

Any suggestions???
Old 08-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,968

I used to listen to the Suze Orman show. Since she no longer has the show, I'm not sure if you can still get it but it's worth checking.

Not strictly financial, though often has financial tones, is Freakonomics. It is a really interesting show about sometimes seemingly mundane topics but explored in a really unique way. It will make you reconsider many things you always just assumed to be true in life.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,446

As far as audiobooks, I think it depends on what is available to you. Are you using Libby or Overdrive to download audiobooks for free from your library? If so, your choices will be limited by what they have in their collection.

A couple I have enjoyed that I know are available in audio format are "The Millionaire Next Door" and "Outliers."
Old 08-21-2017, 05:58 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 834

My favorite personal finance podcasts at the moment are Stacking Benjamins, Million Dollar Plan, and Afford Anything. Stacking Benjamins is light and entertaining and touches on a wide range of financial topics. Million Dollar Plan alternates full episodes dedicated to helping single callers sort out their financial issues and episodes of basic financial advice. Afford Anything takes a detailed look at financial topics from the perspective of setting priorities in life.

The only self-improvement-ish podcast I listen to at the moment is Buy The Book. In it, two women try living according to self help books for a couple of weeks and report on how well the advice does or doesn't work for them. It's not the best podcast I've ever heard, but I'm enjoying it and do occasionally learn a useful tip from it.

I'll second the Freakonomics suggestion and the Outliers suggestions. Freakonomics is my favorite podcast, and I enjoy everything by Malcolm Gladwell, the author of Outliers. Along similar lines, I suggest checking out Revisionist History. It's a podcast from Malcolm Gladwell, and it's full of interesting stories.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:33 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelov275 View Post
Check for John Maxwell's audio books, I guess you will find something you would love to read. It is actually, many of them are already on youtube.
Never heard of him, so Googled. Copied from the top search result:

My name's John, and I'm your friend.

No, you're not. How can you be, since you've never heard of me, and don't know me from Adam?

every new adventure needs a trustworthy guide

Oh puh-leeze!

I won't even start on the mega-church...
Old 08-21-2017, 02:00 PM
$ Saving HS Sophomore

Forum Posts: 199

Joshua Sheats - Radical Personal Finance... Great podcast.. was a daily podcast but he decides to switch it up. You can tell he puts a lot of thought and research into all of his topics.. He looks at everything from all sides so he won't be your typical mainstream finance guy .. He has a bout 400+ epsisodes already

I would post a link but I don't htink the rules allow me to do that.