Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,712
Default Milestone reached...

Checked the accounts a couple days ago and saw we were just north of $750k thanks to this nice bull run we've been on for years.

If the market doesnt fall off a cliff we're hoping to hit 2 commas in the next 3 years. Never know though.

Ive had a goal for a while to either have a house paid off by 40 (which we wont, 0% interest, no incentive to pay off) or be a millionaire before 40 (not including house in NW)...which im hoping will happen. We have 6 years to get there.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:08 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 786

I've been slowly switching over to a more conservative mix with both the retirement and 529 accounts.

Congrats on the milestone.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,873

That's awesome! Congrats.

I am not a market timer by any means but I must admit I'm getting a little nervous about the duration of this bull market. It has to end sometime.

That said, if you look at the thread I posted last night showing our portfolio balance over 25 years, you'll see that even after the crash of 2008, our balance was back to pre-crash level by the end of 2009. I'm sure we were far better off than all of the folks who panicked and sold when things declined and sat in cash for a few years until they felt comfortable enough to reenter the market.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post

That said, if you look at the thread I posted last night showing our portfolio balance over 25 years, you'll see that even after the crash of 2008, our balance was back to pre-crash level by the end of 2009. I'm sure we were far better off than all of the folks who panicked and sold when things declined and sat in cash for a few years until they felt comfortable enough to reenter the market.
Ill have to find your thread. I wish I would have started keeping records when I first invested around 10 years ago. I didnt start to capture everything until we had a combined nw of over $450k. Certainly not the end of the world but its always interesting to look back and see the ups and dows.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennigade View Post
Ill have to find your thread.
http://www.savingadvice.com/forums/i...-25-years.html

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:37 AM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 4,134

rennigade, awesome! The analysts say 'the game isn't over,' country after country is posting gains and with job gains primarily in the service industries inflation 'isn't visible'. There are always those unpredictable bumps like N Korea or Mueller findings.

How do you feel about setting a target for year end and 2020.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post

How do you feel about setting a target for year end and 2020.
Who knows...if market behaves we may have a chance of $800k by year end. We were at approx $766k beginning of month. We will both add $7,000 to our 401ks ($14,000 total to reach max.) That would put us at $780k...plus some savings and employer contributions. Ill put the goal of $800k by year end.

By 2020...who knows. We do plan on moving by hopefully end of year. My wife will stay with current employer and work mostly remote...ill have to find a new job..which definitely means pay cut for me. How much tbd. Im hoping I can still make enough to max roth ira and funnel at least $10k into 401k...we'll see.
scfr likes this.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:24 AM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,201

Congratulations on reaching your milestone!
Old 08-08-2017, 04:39 PM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,726

congratulations! Amazing work. I've taken advantage of the bull market as well. We started investing in 2006 and since then have hit 7 figures portfolio. And I asked DH recently if he had plans to retire and his answer was and do what?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:25 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,620

Congrats on the milestone, but keep in mind that amount doesn't materialize until you sell it; you've got a paper net worth right now.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex86 View Post
you've got a paper net worth right now.
Well that's basically true of everybody. Unless your entire net worth is in a suitcase of cash or sitting in a saving account, it's mostly on paper. But that's how net worth is measured: the current value of your holdings minus any debts.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Well that's basically true of everybody. Unless your entire net worth is in a suitcase of cash or sitting in a saving account, it's mostly on paper. But that's how net worth is measured: the current value of your holdings minus any debts.
Some have more in stocks than others, especially as you get closer to retirement. Regardless, it is a paper gain no matter the semantics used.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
it is a paper gain no matter the semantics used.
There's nothing semantic about it. When someone says, "What's your net worth?" the answer is the total value of your holdings minus your debts.

Certainly, that number changes on a daily basis, but it is what it is. It doesn't matter if you are 100% in stocks, 100% in cash, or some combination of the two.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:43 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
There's nothing semantic about it. When someone says, "What's your net worth?" the answer is the total value of your holdings minus your debts.

Certainly, that number changes on a daily basis, but it is what it is. It doesn't matter if you are 100% in stocks, 100% in cash, or some combination of the two.
Not really, when you get closer to retirement. If I own $1 million is stock today, good for me and my net worth, but tomorrow when it goes down to $500,000 it's pretty problematic. Just pointing out the absurdity of net worth when you get closer to actually having to use the assets to live on.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not really, when you get closer to retirement. If I own $1 million is stock today, good for me and my net worth, but tomorrow when it goes down to $500,000 it's pretty problematic. Just pointing out the absurdity of net worth when you get closer to actually having to use the assets to live on.
OP is 34 years old so I'm not really sure how that's relevant to this thread.

I agree that where you have your assets matters depending on your age and stage of life and when you plan to start spending them.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
OP is 34 years old so I'm not really sure how that's relevant to this thread.

I agree that where you have your assets matters depending on your age and stage of life and when you plan to start spending them.
It will be relevant one day to the OP and it could be relevant to others reading this thread. You know nothing about the OP and what their financial goals are. Perhaps they want to retire early, where advice about looking at net worth would be entirely relevant. So it really isn't up to you to decide what is or is not relevant.

If this is truly a forum to discuss ideas, then it isn't necessary for you to try to police its threads.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If this is truly a forum to discuss ideas, then it isn't necessary for you to try to police its threads.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to "police" anything. I was just trying to understand your point.

OP was simply stating his net worth. That's a common measure by which people judge their progress. I totally agree with you that net worth is on paper and can change, up or down, based on the performance of your holdings. No argument there. OP even acknowledged the same thing when talking about the bull market and speculating on the future growth.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:56 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't trying to "police" anything. I was just trying to understand your point.

OP was simply stating his net worth. That's a common measure by which people judge their progress. I totally agree with you that net worth is on paper and can change, up or down, based on the performance of your holdings. No argument there. OP even acknowledged the same thing when talking about the bull market and speculating on the future growth.
It sure seemed like you were when you stated that my comment wasn't relevant.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It sure seemed like you were when you stated that my comment wasn't relevant.
My apologies.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,853

Our July EOM net worth was just north of $680K, and the 4 year linear trend line is $5300/month.