Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree5Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:50 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex86 View Post
It sure seemed like you were when you stated that my comment wasn't relevant.
Well, saying "your net worth might drop by 50% tomorrow" isn't relevant to what OP's net worth is today, because:
  1. that's not the topic of the thread, and
  2. we're all fully aware that paper assets have no intrinsic value.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2017, 06:24 AM
disneysteve's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Forum Posts: 26,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
saying "your net worth might drop by 50% tomorrow" isn't relevant to what OP's net worth is today
That was the point I was trying to make but just didn't state it clearly. Thanks, Nutria.
__________________
Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2017, 05:44 PM
txex86's Avatar
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Frisco, Tx
Forum Posts: 1,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
Well, saying "your net worth might drop by 50% tomorrow" isn't relevant to what OP's net worth is today, because:
  1. that's not the topic of the thread, and
  2. we're all fully aware that paper assets have no intrinsic value.
The topic of the thread is "milestone reached," and the discussion of said net worth. Pointing out it's only worth something when you "cash in" is definitely relevant. And no, not everyone is fully aware of "paper losses" or there wouldn't be so many untimely decisions made regarding stock/mutual fund selling.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2017, 06:34 PM
disneysteve's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Forum Posts: 26,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex86 View Post
The topic of the thread is "milestone reached," and the discussion of said net worth. Pointing out it's only worth something when you "cash in" is definitely relevant.
I guess I don't quite understand your point.

Net worth is a very common measure of progress. Are you saying people shouldn't use that calculation because it's only on paper?
__________________
Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2017, 06:17 AM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I guess I don't quite understand your point.

Net worth is a very common measure of progress. Are you saying people shouldn't use that calculation because it's only on paper?
Heck, even hard assets can crash in value...
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2017, 02:08 PM
txex86's Avatar
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Frisco, Tx
Forum Posts: 1,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I guess I don't quite understand your point.

Net worth is a very common measure of progress. Are you saying people shouldn't use that calculation because it's only on paper?
The benefit of such a calculation is minimal when it is "paper." Just because some decide to determine their net worth doesn't mean it is of much value.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2017, 02:13 PM
james.hendrickson's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex86 View Post
The benefit of such a calculation is minimal when it is "paper." Just because some decide to determine their net worth doesn't mean it is of much value.
Txex, can you say more here? I'd like to understand your point better.
__________________
[email protected]
202.468.6043
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2017, 02:25 PM
disneysteve's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Forum Posts: 26,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex86 View Post
The benefit of such a calculation is minimal when it is "paper." Just because some decide to determine their net worth doesn't mean it is of much value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.hendrickson View Post
Txex, can you say more here? I'd like to understand your point better.
Me too. If you don't use net worth to measure progress, what do you use? As far as I'm concerned, the best way to see where things stand is to look at the current value of what we have. By comparing that to the value at an earlier point in time, I can see what has changed since then. I'm not sure how else to do it but I'm interested in hearing your method.
__________________
Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2017, 04:20 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Me too. If you don't use net worth to measure progress, what do you use? As far as I'm concerned, the best way to see where things stand is to look at the current value of what we have. By comparing that to the value at an earlier point in time, I can see what has changed since then. I'm not sure how else to do it but I'm interested in hearing your method.
Maybe he compares the current size of his basement stash of gold, bullets, 5 gallon pails of nitrogen-packed wheat and beans, and Ron Paul memorabilia with last month's size of his basement stash of gold, bullets, 5 gallon pails of nitrogen-packed wheat and beans, and Ron Paul memorabilia.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2017, 06:09 PM
disneysteve's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Forum Posts: 26,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
Maybe he compares the current size of his basement stash of gold
I know you were being sarcastic, but even that wouldn't make sense. The value of the gold fluctuates daily, sometimes dramatically. It's still only "on paper" until you sell the gold.
__________________
Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2017, 10:36 PM
$ Saving College Senior
 
Join Date: May 2015
Forum Posts: 1,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
The value of the gold fluctuates daily, sometimes dramatically. It's still only "on paper" until you sell the gold.
Heh. All those people who bought precious metals 6 years ago have taken a serious bath. Silver was $48/oz and now $17, while gold was $1800 and now $1265.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.