Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripods68 View Post
That's just life man...part of doing business. Move forward just Suck it UP!
Are you saying he shouldn't go after the money? What's the point of having the buyer sign a contract if nothing will be done to enforce it? Sorry, if the customer agreed to the terms, they should be held to those terms.
Gailete likes this.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 PM
$ Saving HS Junior

Forum Posts: 247

By all means, go get your money, as they agreed to your terms, but I am surprised you are doing so well with booking your property with those cancellation terms. I haven't booked any hotel room, airbnb or cabin/campsite with more than a 48 hours cancellation policy in recent years for exactly this reason.

Most places also have a don't show up and don't cancel your booking you pay the first night and they void the rest of your stay (as there is a 24 hour cancellation policy and not showing up one day counts as notification).

I'm not saying any of this is good practice and I've never cancelled last minute on anything but a business trip that was do to someone else's change of plans and paid for by someone else, but I would not book a holiday rental with a 30 day cancellation policy. But as these people decided to do so, you are certainly within your rights to go after them.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 AM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,678

Ugh this is why sometimes I honestly don't book until the last minute. We've had friends back out of a trip because of work or sick kids. Having met MANY couples like that I realize it must suck because so many are losing money hand over fist on trips because they aren't planners. I wonder if they eat the cost or stick it to the VRBO?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:31 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
Ugh this is why sometimes I honestly don't book until the last minute. We've had friends back out of a trip because of work or sick kids. Having met MANY couples like that I realize it must suck because so many are losing money hand over fist on trips because they aren't planners. I wonder if they eat the cost or stick it to the VRBO?
If you didn't have a 30 day policy, half of the reservations would cancel, meaning homeowners wouldn't bother to rent their homes, which means you couldn't rent a home.

Vacation rentals are like anything else; they work great until one of the parties turns greedy or dishonest.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:44 PM
$ Saving Professor

I think from what I hear a lot put it on the card and then deny it. Much like your previous experience.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
I think from what I hear a lot put it on the card and then deny it. Much like your previous experience.
While arduous, we usually win such disputes.
disneysteve likes this.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:30 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,579

Quote:
At one point I had a chance to go on a quilting cruise, minus the family. So the night before I had to leave I heard a retching sound and got to my son's bed just as he was puking. So then I do all the usual, clean, etc. and then wonder what to do. I had to leave for a week in a few hours. Was he going to be better or get worse and what was going on? This was my son that when he got sick he got really sick so I was worried. And I didn't have trip cancelation insurance. I took the plunge anyhow and went leaving him in the care of his dad. Got to Miami and called home to check on him and when I asked my then husband how the boy was doing, he was like 'what do you mean?' He had completely forgotten that the boy had been up sick in the middle of the night. I, of course, was happy to know he was better, but I almost threw away a $1K+ trip to stay home with him! Makes me wonder how many of those canceled trips really needed to be canceled, even including the case in the first post here. Those with the rental that may only rent during a particular season can lose a lot of income if they didn't have stringent cancelation clauses.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:53 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 917

This is why I don't make vacation reservations on anything with more than a 48 hr cancellation notice required. Sometimes even that isn't enough. My husband got a call from the hospital last month, while we were waiting to board our train at the train station, that he has to come in the next morning for a biopsy of his transplanted kidney. So he had to change his ticket for two days later. His health issues make it really hard to plan ahead. Luckily Amtrak is very flexible.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamchan View Post
This is why I don't make vacation reservations on anything with more than a 48 hr cancellation notice required. Sometimes even that isn't enough. My husband got a call from the hospital last month, while we were waiting to board our train at the train station, that he has to come in the next morning for a biopsy of his transplanted kidney. So he had to change his ticket for two days later. His health issues make it really hard to plan ahead. Luckily Amtrak is very flexible.
And that's perfectly fine. You are aware of and understand the policies that you are agreeing to, and you respect them. If someone books a rental property with a 30-day cancellation policy, they need to respect that.

OT, but why the last minute biopsy? Aren't those typically scheduled in advance? I know several transplant patients and that's the general routine.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:26 PM
$ Saving Professor

Texas good to know. I just figured most people just either ate the cost or maybe they just get the money back who knows?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:55 PM
$ Saving First Grader

Forum Posts: 5

The renter should have booked a hotel instead. They allow cancellation up 1-day before hand. But she want to be to brag about "we're going on vacation and got a rental spa that is off the hook" with her relatives, neighbors, friends, and co-workers so I hope she get charged for the fee and any possible fee and cost incurred on the homeowner. Typically, I will agree that these rental property owners are greedy but they carter to mostly spoil children so it's only fair. I feel the same about time share management firms and idiots who buy them. If I have to hear another "we got a time share in Myrtle for the summer and one Lauderdale for the winter" I will hand them a time share get-out-of-jail card and say "it's not too late to accept mistake and move pass denial."
Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 PM
$ Saving First Grader

Forum Posts: 5

Quote:
I never understand the rationale of people booking vacations with friends. It's bad enough to do that with relatives unless, it is just sound weird and not vacation-like to do that with friends/co-workers. If the objective is to save cost, there are other ways to do that instead of turning vacations into migration or battle formation events.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Warrior View Post
Typically, I will agree that these rental property owners are greedy but they carter to mostly spoil children
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Warrior View Post
I never understand the rationale of people booking vacations with friends. It's bad enough to do that with relatives unless, it is just sound weird and not vacation-like to do that with friends/co-workers.
Wow. Did you come here just to be judgemental and insult people?

Where did you get the idea that rental owners are greedy and cater to spoiled children? My family rents a vacation home every year, sometimes more than once a year. We do it because it is far nicer than a hotel with more space and greater amenities at a lower price. I don't think we're spoiled children at all. It saves us a bunch of money and gets us a much more enjoyable vacation. And all of the owners we've dealt with over the years have been wonderful, not greedy at all.

As for traveling with friends, just because you apparently don't have any friends you would be comfortable traveling with doesn't mean other people don't. I know many people who travel with the same friends year after year. It is a tradition for both of their families. They get along well and enjoy each other's company. It does usually save money, too, but that's rarely the point.

Last edited by disneysteve; 07-17-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
And that's perfectly fine. You are aware of and understand the policies that you are agreeing to, and you respect them. If someone books a rental property with a 30-day cancellation policy, they need to respect that.

OT, but why the last minute biopsy? Aren't those typically scheduled in advance? I know several transplant patients and that's the general routine.
His creatinine levels were too high for two blood test in a row. When that happens they schedule the biopsy for the following day. He had just had a blood draw three hours earlier. They may be taking less chances with him than is typical too because it was an ABO incompatible donation.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

hamchan, I hope everything turns out okay and his numbers get back in range.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
hamchan, I hope everything turns out okay and his numbers get back in range.
Oh they're fine now, and the biopsy came back fine too! He had a sinus infection at the time, which probably contributed to the off blood test results.
disneysteve likes this.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:36 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamchan View Post
Oh they're fine now, and the biopsy came back fine too! He had a sinus infection at the time, which probably contributed to the off blood test results.
Nothing like multiple medical problems to throw everything off kilter!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:36 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Default Latest sob story - 7/24/17

A man calls yesterday, his reservation is on 8/8/17 for a week.

He says his wife "just went to the doctor and found out she's 8 months pregnant, can I get a refund?"

We said no of course, per our 30 day cancellation policy, so he then goes on a tirade and demands to speak to the homeowner.

Of course, we don't give that info. out, that is why homeowners contract with us to manage their property.

These cancellation stories are getting better all the time!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHusker View Post
A man calls yesterday, his reservation is on 8/8/17 for a week.

He says his wife "just went to the doctor and found out she's 8 months pregnant, can I get a refund?"
I love it. They "just" found out that she's 8 months pregnant? Geez, at least come up with a better story than that.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
I love it. They "just" found out that she's 8 months pregnant? Geez, at least come up with a better story than that.
My in laws rented a little house on our property to a couple where the woman claimed to be pregnant for something like 12-14 months total! And a high-risk pregnancy at that! My MIL who had 4 kids knew better as did I, but somehow this woman thought she was fooling someone. But then her boyfriend gave my in laws a check on the same bank that I have my business account on, only the bank had changed hands almost 6 months before and three months into it we were all given new checks, etc. And this bozo passed one of the old checks that was completely worthless. Of course, my FIL had already let them move in before he went to the bank to try to cash their check. Out of the year and half to two years they were there they paid their rent about 6 times, maybe it was all the OB/GYN bills for her extended pregnancy that was eating up all their money!

Just because some folks are stupid, why do they think the rest of the world is stupid?