Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2017, 09:43 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,226

>>We also went to plan out what we are buying to sponsor a dessert reception at our synagogue in 2 weeks. If we had the synagogue do it for us, it would cost $200. Buying everything ourselves at BJ's will cost us about half that, so we're saving $100 on that (and the food will be better).<<

Steve now that sounds like my kind of get together. I remember someone bringing some miniature cream puffs to a party one day from I think Sam's Club (the only warehouse blub in our area). Don't know if they are Kosher, but boy were they yummy! They come frozen and just need to thaw a bit as they tasted great cold.
disneysteve likes this.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:30 AM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,989

DS on the tires I find Costco the BEST!!! Everyone knows that we are huge costco proponents but we only buy tires from Costco. I don't care that they cost more and usually they are cheaper to boot!

I can prove they are WORTH every penny. DH was driving cross-country 2 years ago. His tire got a nail the day he was supposed to leave. He put it into the trunk with spare and at 10 am was at costco. They didn't have the tire in stock so he said tell me a costco with it in stock along his route. They did. 2 hours later he was eating lunch, having his tire replaced at costco. He waited a couple of hours and bam was on his way to our new life.

Not to mention they credited him for the life on his old tire and have when we bought and all mileage. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE costco. Also along his road trip and ours 2 years ago we filled always at costco, we tended to stay at hotels near costco and it was cheap hotels and gas.

Did I mention this was in another state? They converted us a long time ago.

Also anyone who shops amazon probably does it for convenience not money. Because laundry detergent, paper towels, etc are ALL Cheaper at costco especially if you wait for their 8 week on and off sale prices. Pullups are cheaper per pull up. I price shop hard and I have tracking prices per oz etc and I know costco is always a better deal than even subscribe and save. Now that means going to costco.

But for the savings I'd get a membership and go once a month and still come out ahead of amazon. Now does it beat coupons at grocery store? Usually but depends on where you live and if they double or what stores you have where you live. Where I've lived and that's both coasts and hawaii I've never beaten costco for prices in the grocery stores. I have using CVS about 10 yers ago when they were doing ECBs but since the program is so stingy now it's harder.

Plus gas alone savings pays for our membership. This weekend I bought 2 small trash containers for the bathroom for $19.99. On Amazon same thing is $24.99. Tell me how it's cheaper? It's not. But it probably is nice to click a button and have it delivered. $26.14 for all free and clear on amazon is $14.99 at costco I think. I buy costco brand.

I only say this because so many people shop online and tell me it's cheaper. it's really not but how to argue with people who don't have a handle on money?
scfr likes this.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,226

Some things I buy on line and especially at Amazon as I have my business card that gives me reward points so that takes the bill down. I buy stuff on line because some things are just too much to haul around - taking myself to the store, going around, getting home and then getting it in the house again.

I used to love to shop, double coupon, refunds, the whole deal and I did good. Don't have the oomph to do that anymore. Now I need a helper to get groceries, haul them to the car and then haul them to the house. Or I can let the mail lady bring them right to my door!