Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,680

Big Brothers is coming tomorrow so I packed up a large trash bag of clothing for them today. My wife also packed up a number of items, both clothing and other things, that we are donating to our synagogue rummage sale. She'll take those in tomorrow.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

This didn't actually eliminate any clutter - yet - but I just went in and repriced all of the books in my Half.com inventory, marking some of them down pretty dramatically. I just want to get rid of them, even if I don't make that much in the process.

I'm also going to cross list them all to Amazon.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:17 AM
$ Saving Sixth Grader

Forum Posts: 63

Half.com is closing on Aug 31st, so you'll probably want to list them on Amazon sooner than later.
disneysteve likes this.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaC123 View Post
Half.com is closing on Aug 31st, so you'll probably want to list them on Amazon sooner than later.
Yep. I had to reactivate my Amazon seller account as I hadn't used it lately and my credit card on file was expired. I took care of that last night.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:25 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 703

I was finally feeling up to doing more decluttering, so I started on the master closet. I set aside more than an entire rack of old clothing, which is about 5 ft of space. I'm just waiting for my husband to approve getting rid of his share, but I think he will be fine with it. The sad part is that I only went through the shirts, and only the shirts in the closet. I still have to go through all of the drawers. Sadder still, I now don't have enough clothes to get me through a week because most of my clothes had claw marks from the cat and/or light spots from stain removal. The saddest part is that you can't tell a difference because my closet is huge! And I just realized that my husband takes up 80% of the closet space and winter gear takes up another 10%.

I'm trying to work up the nerve to clean out my daughter's closet this weekend, but it is a nightmare again. I'm done selling and I never got the money from my sister the last time I gave her things, which I would have expected at least $300 for. I'm just going to chuck everything in boxes and call a charity.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:46 PM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 4,093

I sold my car last Sunday and that resulted in finally going through all the boxes stored in the garage. I was able to trash or pack up all the items no longer used and therefore no longer needed. 8 boxes ready for donation! I expect DH to load his SUV tomorrow to drop off at the Mennonite Thrift I like to support.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear some folks are still decluttering. Not much has been happening here between working a lot, summer temperatures, and DD still being home. She goes back to school next week and it's starting to cool off a bit. Plus in another month, my schedule will get much better and I'll be working at least 11 hours less each week, and as much as 19 or more hours less. I'm hoping all of that will allow DW and I to get back to focusing on the clutter.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:37 PM

Forum Posts: 3,732

Family was here for the eclipse which forced me to clean up the spare bedroom. An extra bedroom is a fine place to set "stuff" and walk away. I do that over and over. Get the room tidy; junk it up; repeat.

I made contact with a brand new third grade teacher who needed supplies. I was able to give her three big boxes worth. Plan to call her back to pass along some other things.
disneysteve and Like2Plan like this.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass
Old 09-27-2017, 12:26 PM

So I finally got a charity pick up the other day. All told, 3 garbage bags full of clothes and two large boxes full of stuff are gone. One box was large enough for me to fit inside completely. Yeah, I hide in boxes to scare my dog and cats. So what?

I'm already starting another round. It seems that now that my husband sees how much stuff we can get rid of and still have a lot, he is more open to getting rid of things. He still kept one hideous 25 year old sweater, though. Next up is my daughter's room and the 2 spare bedrooms, and then the dreaded basement.
creditcardfree likes this.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for bumping up this thread.

I was feeling blah Monday night. I was supposed to go to the gym and just wasn't in the mood so I went out and worked in the garage instead. I filled our trash can and our recycling can and got a few things set aside for Goodwill.

I also did a bunch of yard work but that's only temporary because it keeps on growing.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Thanks for bumping up this thread.

I was feeling blah Monday night. I was supposed to go to the gym and just wasn't in the mood so I went out and worked in the garage instead. I filled our trash can and our recycling can and got a few things set aside for Goodwill.

I also did a bunch of yard work but that's only temporary because it keeps on growing.
I have been trying to work on our garage for a year now. My husband won't let go of random concrete blocks, cardboard, and strips of wood for some reason. I need to try harder to sell the motorcycle and moped, and the go kart needs to be taken to the cottage so we can fold up the trailer, so my husband can fit his car in. We have a 3 car garage and so much crap in there!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:46 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,375

Delivered 2 small boxes of donated items to the local charity thrift store, and came home with only 1 new purchase (a 50-cent holiday CD).

Set aside 2 things that I no longer want for sale on eBay (I'll only list things that I expect to sell for $10 or more).

Tossed some expired whole wheat flour from the pantry.

Put an empty toner cartridge and half a bag full of plastic wrappings in my car to drop off for recycling on my way to work tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Not exactly decluttering but sort of.

I ordered a dress shirt on Amazon on Sunday. It arrived today. I came upstairs and took a shirt of the same color from my closet and added it to the Goodwill pile. It was starting to look worn and needed replacing, which is why I ordered the new one. So one in, one out. No addition to the holdings.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Forum Posts: 584

So I just got done decluttering my filing cabinet. It's been 4 years. My files were just bulging and it was getting hard to make room for new papers.

I can't believe I had stuff in there from 2013! But I guess it makes sense. At that time all 3 of my kids were multiple sport athletes; who had time for things like decluttering the filing cabinet.

Now to find a shredding event to take my big pile to.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Forum Posts: 4,093

Thrif-t good on you! I wonder if you notice a decrease in the amount of paper retained 20015-2017 than the pervious 2 years.

Years ago I saw a brief article that explained 80% of paper retained were never needed again. At years end I made it a point to review the listing of government, legal, contractual and warranty papers required and set limits. Two years ago I followed the 'Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up' paper management recommendations as they pertain to our family and what has surprised us all is that whatever is needed is easily accessible in moments. Our 2 drawer file cabinet has morphed mostly into an office supply drawer and we still don't have a scanner.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Forum Posts: 584

Snafu I'm just kinda old school. I like to keep my old utility bills, sometimes I would like to see how much things have gone up. But in the spirit of removing clutter I'm going to get over my habit. I threw away old insurance policies, I don't need those anymore! Old EOB statements, I never claim health costs on taxes so why do I need those? I don't! But I do have a good habit of putting papers/mail in their files in our filing cabinet.

Usually our credit union has a shredding day in the fall, then I'd go thru my files and take out the year before paperwork. I guess I missed the shredding day a for a few years.

Oh and I have everything mailed to me. DH would have no clue how to get things on line out of email. He's even more old school than me. He takes care of his dads bills and sits down and writes checks. At least I do online bill pay or have as many bills as I can just charge our credit card for points. He can't be bothered messing around with all that.ha
Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 PM

Forum Posts: 3,732

Think of schools and teachers when decluttering.

I've made contact with yet another teacher who could use some things I've been hanging onto. This time, it is an eighth grade science teacher. I gave her a microscope and a kid's rock tumbler/polisher and some half polished rocks, plus a couple bags of quartz and polishing grit.

So getting those out of the house frees up the little table they had been sitting on for 10+ years. Long ago, I was in the process of refinishing it. I think I will just use of some of the excess paint in the garage to paint the table and offer it on Craigslist or something.

Thrif-T and Snafu, tackling the paper files is something I really need to do! I used to do it every New Year, but I think I haven't done it in four years. There'll be a lot to pitch (shredded into the compost bin, mostly).
Thrif-t and ShawnaC123 like this.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass