Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2016, 07:32 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,602
Default What is your food/drink vice and what does it cost?

We are big coffee drinkers. We only brew Starbucks at home. We probably buy a pound every 10 days, translating into $400 a year or so on coffee.

My wife spends about $2.25 on a 44 oz. tea about 4 days a week, so that's another $500 a year.

I eat a package of cherry sours about 5 days a week, and those run me about $1.50 at CVS. So that's about $400 per year.

I love WalMart grape drink mix and drink it all summer - probably a pitcher a day. But that stuff is dirt cheap. I might spend $20 on that for a year.

-- Steve Martin, "The Jerk".
Old 07-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Banned

Forum Posts: 1,611

my vice is pizza and potao chips, i rarely eat them but when do i buy potato chips i usually eat the whole bag within tge day. i dont buy pizza, too greasy and costly, i make it maybe 4 times a year but again i eat it all

those sweets of yours are not a good vice to have
Old 07-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Banned

Forum Posts: 885

Ugh. Not sure I want to calculate the numbers for this one.

I will start by saying my food/drink vices change periodically. For awhile I was on a Sweet Tea kick. Steak subs were a several day a week thing for awhile. Right now I seem to be eating everything in sight so I really can't single out anything food wise for this one.

Beverage consumption is a different story, and Diet Pop (Soda) is the vice. I typically drink two Big Gulps a day just while at work. That alone is about $400/year. What I drink outside of work varies daily, but I guestimate $300 to $400/year for that as well.

I think it is time to cut back.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Banned

you dont realize you spend that much until its tallies up
Old 07-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Banned

Yikes!! i just tallied up my casual weekend starbucking and its $717 a year
Old 07-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
you dont realize you spend that much until its tallies up
David Bach is rarely listed among recommended authors on the personal finance message boards I have been on. But his discussion about the "latte factor" really helped me get my spending under control many years ago.

Back then it was dining out for lunch every day at work that was killing my wallet.

I think my excess spending on pop/soda is an after effect of paying off our mortgage and not immediately (and automatically) reallocating those funds previously assigned to our mortgage.

Hoping this thread has the same impact Bach's book had on me years ago.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 PM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 750

Upon opening this thread I expected to see some hard core vices but those are tame or lame (lol). These are mines.

Weekly
1) Jack Daniels (small bottle), $17 per week x 52 weeks = $884 per year
2) 12 pack of Heinenkens, $15 per week x 52 weeks = $780 per year
3) occasional bottle of champagne $15 a month x 12 months = $180 per year

Total per year
$1844
Old 07-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,588

I really can't think of anything that I buy regularly on a daily or weekly basis. Definitely nothing on a daily basis. When I go grocery shopping on Thursday, I'll sometimes pick up some treat in the bulk food aisle, usually either dark chocolate nonpareils or Jelly Belly jelly beans. So that might be $5-10 and what I buy will last about 3 weeks. That's about the only thing that comes to mind. And I don't always get something. So maybe $30/year.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
Upon opening this thread I expected to see some hard core vices but those are tame or lame (lol). These are mines.

Weekly
1) Jack Daniels (small bottle), $17 per week x 52 weeks = $884 per year
2) 12 pack of Heinenkens, $15 per week x 52 weeks = $780 per year
3) occasional bottle of champagne $15 a month x 12 months = $180 per year

Total per year
$1844
Well I thought of my most expensive one when I first read the thread. And since I mix my Barcardi with Diet Coke, the Pop expense easily surpasses the alcohol.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:17 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Steve, being a doctor, which vices are worse for you, ranked highest to lowest?

Cigars
Lots of coffee
Daily booze
Daily cherry sours
Diet sodas
Red meat

I don't smoke or drink, but I do love me some cherry sours and Starbucks.

Blood pressure is "pre-hypertension", overall cholesterol is good but my tris are sky high. I'm 6'4, 218#.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
$ Saving Assistant Professor

Forum Posts: 4,571

Soda and carbonated water.

Since I don't have any other vices, I really don't give a flip about the soda. But I suppose that also goes with keeping it well within a reasonable level of moderation. I doubt I spend more than $10/month on the above. (No one else in my house will drink any of the above).

Of course, I don't buy the cheapest soda that I can find. I keep it to the 8 oz cans because those are reasonable servings. I've kind of gone round and round over the years, but that seems to work best for me. (Sometimes I buy 2 liters because they are cheaper, or sometimes I have only had soda when eating out. Every once in a while I stop buying the small cans because everyone picks on me how expensive those are. But I think I am at a point where I just don't give a flip because that does seem to work best for me).
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHusker View Post
Steve, being a doctor, which vices are worse for you, ranked highest to lowest?

Cigars
Lots of coffee
Daily booze
Daily cherry sours
Diet sodas
Red meat

I don't smoke or drink, but I do love me some cherry sours and Starbucks.

Blood pressure is "pre-hypertension", overall cholesterol is good but my tris are sky high. I'm 6'4, 218#.
Do you smoke or not? You said you don't but listed cigars first on your list.
It's hard to rank things but I'd say smoking is the worst, heavy alcohol use is probably 2nd (and by heavy I mean more than 1-2 drinks/day), and the diet indiscretions would be 3rd - that's where the high sugar, high fat issues come in.

Personally, I'm not convinced that diet soda is all that bad unless you're drinking a lot of it. I think one diet drink a day is okay. Drinking it all day long like it's water is not okay.
FLA likes this.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 07-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post

Personally, I'm not convinced that diet soda is all that bad unless you're drinking a lot of it. I think one diet drink a day is okay. Drinking it all day long like it's water is not okay.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 2,357

I don't normally pay for beverages outside of the home but I am a coffee drinker. We brew at home, but when DH is traveling I use the Starbucks Via packages to make myself a cup for convenience/laziness. I've not calculated the cost of my coffee habit, but I'd estimate that for the Via packages I spend right around $100 per year and consider it money well spent.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:05 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Quote:
Do you smoke or not? You said you don't but listed cigars first on your list.
It's hard to rank things but I'd say smoking is the worst, heavy alcohol use is probably 2nd (and by heavy I mean more than 1-2 drinks/day), and the diet indiscretions would be 3rd - that's where the high sugar, high fat issues come in.

I may be dreaming this but it seemed like my dr said diet was just as bad because of the heavy sodium content instead of sugar, which affects your blood pressure ?

Old 07-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I may be dreaming this but it seemed like my dr said diet was just as bad because of the heavy sodium content instead of sugar, which affects your blood pressure ?
Nope. A 12-oz can of Diet Coke has only 40mg of sodium. That's practically nothing.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Forum Posts: 5,748

Drinking beer is probably my worst.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:07 AM
$ Saving Post Graduate

Forum Posts: 3,466

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. A 12-oz can of Diet Coke has only 40mg of sodium. That's practically nothing.
I was actually just reading about this last week, the problem with diet sodas is really just that the artificial sweeteners trigger the release of insulin, which leads to low blood sugars and stronger hunger cravings. Unless you have the willpower enough to overcome hunger cravings, the artificial sweeteners can lead you to eating more calories than the soda would have given you. I'm not a scientist, so this is only a guess, but that effect might be reduced somewhat by drinking diet sodas with other food. That way, the insulin release would be less impactful, as your body will already have food to work on to return your levels to normal... But again, just a non-scientific theory.

I any case, if I have an eating/drinking vice, it's ice cream. I love good ice cream (which is also more expensive than your basic store brand vanilla), so it doesn't last long when it's in the house. So to mitigate it, I basically just don't buy it. My willpower is good in the grocery store (thank you shopping list), but awful at home. Lol

Last edited by kork13; 07-06-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:27 AM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,628

Soda lots. DH drinks 1-2 beers a day, and sometimes a nightcap of crown royal. I indulge in precut salads and ice cream/desserts for kids sometimes. DH also loves coffee so single serve at home or when we're out starbucks. $100/month? Eating out?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:38 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 656

Alcohol. I would guess about $2,000 a year, easily. Maybe even closer to $3,000. But our house sitter likes to be at least partially paid in beer, and both sides of the family expect us to bring the drinks for holidays and what-not. I can spend $250 just for Christmas dinner, and forget New Years. Of course, having a taste for bubbly and single malt scotch doesn't help, either.