Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 818

I don't really have a specific consistent food or drink vice myself. I tend to eat slightly more than I should. But, whenever my jeans start to get too tight, I start counting calories, and I'm fine.

The thing that's been killing my grocery budget lately is my daughter's love of bananas. She's loved bananas since she started on solid foods. They're easy for her to hold and to bite. You would think that bananas being inexpensive would be good for the grocery budget. But, bananas don't have a long shelf life. So, we find ourselves going to the grocery store multiple times a week, and more trips means more opportunities for impulse purchases. We've never needed a strict rule, like "no purchases that aren't on the list" before. But, I think we're either going to have to accept that we spend more on groceries now or implement such a rule.
scfr likes this.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Forum Posts: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
The thing that's been killing my grocery budget lately is my daughter's love of bananas. She's loved bananas since she started on solid foods.
That's nothing - if you start doing blueberries or strawberries, then you might be in for price shock...

We do all 3 fruits... when it starts to get old, we just make smoothies for ourselves so it doesn't go to waste.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jluke View Post
That's nothing - if you start doing blueberries or strawberries, then you might be in for price shock...

We do all 3 fruits... when it starts to get old, we just make smoothies for ourselves so it doesn't go to waste.
My parents have a hillside full of blueberry bushes. After my mom makes a few pies to freeze and my sister makes a few batches of muffins, there are still more blueberries than anyone knows what to do with. So, blue berries are practically free most of the summer. My daughter went for a visit over the weekend and ate a bunch.

The funny thing is: it's not the fruit itself that's killing the budget, it's the trips to the store. Bananas cost about $1/week, and berries would cost about $6/week. 6x more is a lot, but it's things like the box of corn dogs my husband bought last night when he went to the store for bananas, milk, and eggs that really add up.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:32 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
Alcohol. I would guess about $2,000 a year, easily. Maybe even closer to $3,000.
Criminy!! That's more than our cell phone bill!!!
Old 07-09-2016, 11:59 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,036

I like to eat out and where we live, there're lots of good restaurants. Sometimes we'd eat out entire months. We actually get sick of restaurant food for a while following those events. It isn't too surprising if our restaurant $ is highest category spend on our CC.

At one company I worked at, they give free lunch (and dinner). I actually felt like I'm wasting my taste buds eating at the company cafeterias.

We only drink water, juice, occasionally frappuccino (starbucks), very rarely soda/tea, and very, very, very rarely alcohol. So our drink $ is low.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:40 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,677

Probably salmon. We buy around 2 chunks of salmon a month...they're about $30/each. So around $720/year.
scfr likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:42 AM
Banned

Forum Posts: 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv2007 View Post
We only drink water, juice, occasionally frappuccino (starbucks), very rarely soda/tea, and very, very, very rarely alcohol. So our drink $ is low.
Not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but my alcohol consumption increased after I stumbled upon your posts a few weeks ago.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInPgh View Post
Not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but my alcohol consumption increased after I stumbled upon your posts a few weeks ago.
Well, I hope it is a coincidence; I'd hate to be the cause of you drinking more (unless you view that as a positive).

My views on life is very different than many so don't take my comments about life personally. My views on investments and returns, however, can probably help most achieve their financial goals.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 PM
$ Saving HS Senior

Forum Posts: 257

At least $20 per week on booze, mostly for cheap wine (a slightly higher-quality box costs about $20) for a family of 3 adults. So about $1000 per year. I have to admit, when we have more wiggle room in the budget, I expect to at least double it. We'd prefer to have slightly nicer bottled wine (I mean like $10-$15 per bottle) for our regular consumption.

And fake meats! I'm a mostly-vegan, but I still crave meat substitutes like veggie burgers and soy chicken patties. They're not necessary nor particularly healthy, so definitely a guilty pleasure. Probably $10 per week for a family of 5, so about $520 per year.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 PM
$ Saving Pre Schooler

Forum Posts: 1
Default Healthy drink of aloe vera juice

The aloe vera juice has amazing healing powers, and when used both orally and externally it can help in a lot conditions and gives you a healthy body. more: okyalo
Old 08-06-2017, 03:54 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 554

Given I am not too keen on the quality of the water if you can call it a vice bottled Culligan water @ 35 cents a gallon.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 26,682

This thread is just over a year old so I'm going to post a new answer.

Whiskey!

My wife and I have gotten into the world of bourbon and whiskey. We don't spend a ton of money, which you easily can buying the super high end stuff, but even buying the common stuff can add up.

In the past few months, we've picked up 8-10 bottles of whiskey. We've also bought a few bottles of other alcohol along the way just to keep the bar stocked (tequila, amaretto, etc.).

Even at $30-35/bottle, that's still a few hundred dollars.

We've also spent money visiting distilleries in PA and NJ and in October, we're going to Kentucky for a week and will visit a number of distilleries on the Bourbon Trail.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 AM
$ Saving Professor

Forum Posts: 5,678

Ice cream out. Recently we've done it at home because lack of ice cream places. But before we never had ice cream at home and did only out. It cost more but we ate it less. Now I buy it and leave it at home and DH and the kids eat it daily. I am thinking of cutting them all off. I am not an ice cream eater I have to take lactose free pills anyway so home isn't indulgent enough to make it want to have some. But while it's cheaper I'm not sure it's better.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:07 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,244

Pellegrino water: about $1 a bottle, so about $200 a year.
Single malt scotch: $70 a bottle, lasts a couple years.

We do like good meat (tenderloin, prime rib, strip steaks) but don't eat them frequently. Maybe $200 there total in a year.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:57 PM

Forum Posts: 855

I don't care for expensive restaurants at all, so that's good
I like cooking at home versus eating out, so that's good

soda bad
scotch whiskey bad
cigars bad
beer bad
crystal meth bad (just joking)

my collection of whiskey and cigars probably could be viewed as excessive. dont' really mind though, as neither will "spoil" over time.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:45 PM

My husband's whiskey hobby is expensive. He keeps it within his personal fun money budget, so I can't complain. He talks about it so passionately, I really want to like it myself. But, no matter what notes of honey or vanilla or cherry or oak or smoke I'm supposed to be tasting, it all tastes like strong alcohol to me - except the peaty scotches which smell and taste like dirt.

Mostly he sticks to the $30-90/bottle range, and he drinks with a group of friends who take turns buying new things. But, he keeps talking about wanting to try an expensive bottle of Pappy's, and that worries me a bit.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 AM
$ Saving College Freshman

Forum Posts: 703

Better liquor stores will let you sample before you buy. If they think you are serious, they should have no problems letting you sample an expensive bottle if they have it offered for sampling. It saved us from wasting $100 on a bottle that tasted like burning peat and cow pies. I usually just stick to Auchentoshan 12 year, but my husband likes to try new ones. I also buy some of the gift boxes before Christmas so I can sample a lot without spending a lot.

Just as an FYI, we have really cut down on our liquor expenses since posting. The person that wanted to be paid in beer doesn't watch our house anymore. I don't think my husband was aware of how much we were spending. Now that he is, he isn't as willing to hop on over to the liquor store whenever we have guests. We have noticed that we have a lot less guests now, too. Amazing how that works. We buy one or two bottles of wine a month now unless people come over.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I really want to like it myself. But, no matter what notes of honey or vanilla or cherry or oak or smoke I'm supposed to be tasting, it all tastes like strong alcohol to me - except the peaty scotches which smell and taste like dirt.
Everyone's tastes are different. Neither of us care for beer at all. My wife will have one very rarely. I won't ever. I think it tastes disgusting, and I've sampled many different types.

My wife is a wine drinker and has a pretty broad palette enjoying both sweeter and drier varieties depending on her mood and the situation. Me, I will deal with the sweetest ones on occasion but that's about it.

We were really happy to find that we both enjoyed whiskey. Finally, something we could explore and learn about together. Since coming to that realization, we've visited several distilleries, joined a Facebook group, and planned a trip to Kentucky for this fall.

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:35 AM

Forum Posts: 855

Quote:
My husband's whiskey hobby is expensive. He keeps it within his personal fun money budget, so I can't complain. He talks about it so passionately, I really want to like it myself. But, no matter what notes of honey or vanilla or cherry or oak or smoke I'm supposed to be tasting, it all tastes like strong alcohol to me - except the peaty scotches which smell and taste like dirt.

Mostly he sticks to the $30-90/bottle range, and he drinks with a group of friends who take turns buying new things. But, he keeps talking about wanting to try an expensive bottle of Pappy's, and that worries me a bit.
I don't like peaty scotch. tastes like dirt, as you say.

Does he have lighter sweeter whiskeys in his collection? you can try glenlevit 12 or macallan 12. many bourbons are easier to drink.

Drinking whiskey is an acquired taste. if you have problems drinking neat, you can cut it down with ice or water. If that's still strong, you can drink it "highball" style, Use a liberal amount of ice, mix 4 parts carbonated water to 1 part hard liquor. Adjust strength as desired. And if that's still too strong for you, you can substitute ginger beer or ginger ale for the carbonated water. My recommendation would be to try a highball. It mellows out the strong whiskey flavor and makes drinking it more like drinking a beer or something.

my opinion on whiskeys is that there is diminishing returns as the price goes up. Maybe $200 is the most that I would consider "worth it", although I do have more expensive ones for collection purposes. Bang for the buck, $30-40 whiskeys can actually be really good. I have a bottle of pappy btw. not sure if/when I'll open it. Sometimes local bars have tastings of pappy, To be sure, it'll be expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as buying an entire bottle. If he has a group of 8 friends or so willing to go in on a bottle of pappy, they could split it.

Last edited by ~bs; 08-08-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bs View Post
if you have problems drinking neat, you can cut it down with ice or water. If that's still strong, you can drink it "highball" style, Use a liberal amount of ice, mix 4 parts carbonated water to 1 part hard liquor.
We also enjoy old-fashioneds. 1.5oz of whiskey, 1-2 teaspoons of simple syrup, and 3 dashes of bitters, all over ice.

We've also found that some whiskeys are best as mixers while others are more enjoyable straight or with a drop of water or small ice cube. It's all about personal preference.