Saving Advice Forums  

Go Back   Saving Advice Forums > Financial Chit Chat > General Discussion

General Discussion Please read our Forum Rules before posting
Feel free to talk about anything and everything about money.

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2018, 12:11 PM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyhoff View Post
According to that page there still quite a few complementary spots, so its not like you have to pay. That said, we were there last November on a weekday and it was crazy full (the GF was looking for specific shoes at one store). I didn't see anything that fabulous that you couldn't find at other outlets (except for a Disney outlet store cheaper than I have seen any place else, so there was that). It looked like a place to go when the parents are tired of the parks.
The complementary spots are going to have quite a bit of competition for them I think. In the past, about only place we could find a place to park was in the parking structures so there already was a lot of competition for the surface spots.
But, ITA not anything super spectacular there.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 28,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like2Plan View Post
The complementary spots are going to have quite a bit of competition for them I think. In the past, about only place we could find a place to park was in the parking structures so there already was a lot of competition for the surface spots.
But, ITA not anything super spectacular there.
We like going to the outlets but the parking situation keeps us away. One of the last times we went, we drove around for 10 minutes and couldn't find a spot so we left. It's not so great to be worth the hassle. And there are other outlets in the area that aren't nearly as crowded.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 AM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,097

we're going in 2 weeks and now they make you wear these stupid wrist bands so they can track your identity, movement, and financial status
Old 04-13-2018, 03:52 AM
$ Saving HS Junior

Forum Posts: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
we're going in 2 weeks and now they make you wear these stupid wrist bands so they can track your identity, movement, and financial status
They’ve already got your identity whether you wear the band or not. Have to use your finger to get in even with the card. If your finger doesn’t work they’re going to take your picture. If you don’t want the long range rfid tracking you can always get a card.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 AM
$ Saving HS Senior

Forum Posts: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
As far as I know, there is no requirement for having a band at the parks. You can use your card/ticket once you are in the park for fastPass, use credit cards, and so on. Now if you are staying at one of their resorts, maybe you do need the band - I'm not sure about that. Of course if you really don't want them to track you while you are in the park, don't use any fast Pass. That'll show 'em.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:24 AM
$ Saving College Senior

Forum Posts: 1,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyhoff View Post
... Now if you are staying at one of their resorts, maybe you do need the band ...
I believe you can still request a card for your room key. That is usually DH's preference because he doesn't wear the MB and the plastic card is much easier to carry in his wallet.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Forum Posts: 28,244

You never have to wear a MagicBand. It is always optional.

If you are staying at a Disney resort, you will get one automatically included in your hotel fee. If you are not staying onsite, you need to purchase a MB if you want one. I believe they start at $13.

There are a couple of advantages to using one, though I wouldn't pay for one. The only time we bought one was when DW and I already had them because we had annual passes and we went back with DD who didn't have one.

They also sell things other than wrist bands now, like key fobs, if you don't want to wear one on your wrist. DD uses the fob instead.

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
* There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 AM
$ Saving College Sophomore

Forum Posts: 896

On the national TV news I saw that Disney World is paying a recruitment bonus for certain jobs they are hiring. Such as maids get a $2000 bonus, lifeguards $1000 bonus, bus drivers $500 bonus, etc. All together Disney World is hiring over 3500 jobs.
disneysteve and Like2Plan like this.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:41 PM

One of my workers said her monthly fee for her annual Disneyland membership went up by an additional $20 more per month. More specifically she said she pays $60'ish now per month when before it was $40's per month. Her kid's price is the same price as her adult price. She also has an under 2 yr old who is fee. So there you go, again please help me not to hate Disney. She also said that on certain days she can only go to 1 park whereas before she could access 2 parks.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Also she said during July/August Saturday's are blocked out.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM

Forum Posts: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
Also she said during July/August Saturday's are blocked out.
Yep I've seen threads about this over on the Dis. I guess it's because its too dang crowded, they need to do something to get the masses to stop coming. But nothing is working, they up prices, take away benefits and they still come.

What do you want Disney to do? It's not an enjoyable experience with all the overcrowding going on. I'm just thankful we had great trips there when my kids were small. And it was somewhat affordable when you knew some of the tricks.
QuarterMillionMan likes this.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:19 PM
$ Saving College Junior

Forum Posts: 1,473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrif-t View Post
Yep I've seen threads about this over on the Dis. I guess it's because its too dang crowded, they need to do something to get the masses to stop coming. But nothing is working, they up prices, take away benefits and they still come.

What do you want Disney to do? It's not an enjoyable experience with all the overcrowding going on. I'm just thankful we had great trips there when my kids were small. And it was somewhat affordable when you knew some of the tricks.
I wouldn't make the conclusion that Dis is raising prices to keep people away. They are not spending billions on Avatar Land, Toy Story Land, Star War land, Epcot 2.0, and Tron Coaster just to have less people visit Disney.

And that's the thing about Disney. They are always adding more to the park, and with raising wages they are charging more. They probably realized it doesn't matter what they charge, people will still come because the experience is second to none. I am floored at the lack of vacancy for their 700 dollar/night hotel rooms or impossible to get in 60 dollar/head crappy 10 item buffets. My wife have been trying to get a reservation to Chef Mickey for a week now and nothing. I looked at the menu and was floored at how crappy the food is compared to the price.