Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Money Can You Make Online? Tell the Truth...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pretty much true of anything, online or offline. You need to be open to learning. You need to be willing to open to advice from others who are succeeding in your desired field.
    Yet for so many they have heard of others making oodles on line and how they talk about it being easy and a fast way to make money. In reality it takes hard work, though, and usually a fairly large cash infusion of some sort, just like any money-making opportunity off line. Some however, bootstrap their business and invest all proceeds until enough is coming in to support the business which is what I did.

It is some sort of magical thinking. Just like the joker that wrote in to an Amazon forum and asked very sincerely, that they didn't quite reach $20K in sales, just barely missed it, so Amazon wasn't going to send them a 1099 and did that mean that they didn't have to declare that money they made as income on taxes?!!!! During the first few months of the year, I see these kinds of questions almost constantly on forums and I've seen sellers with all sorts of reasons for why what they made on line isn't taxable for around 15 years now.

There is just something weird in people's minds when it comes to making money on line. Like none of the normal rules apply.
    Gailete
    http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

the market has changed greatly over the past 2 decades or so. Before you had a lot of opportunity to import from china and make a ton of money. Nowadays, chinese sellers and US businesses have cut out the middleman, so to speak on most or all product categories. Chinese sellers sell directly on US platforms, margins are tight, it's a race to the bottom in terms of pricing and sheer number of sellers with platforms like amazon encouraging it. Drop shipping makes sense when there's enough profit margin to be able to pay the cost of utilizing a drop ship service with a manufacturer willing to provide that service.

I think it's far more difficult to break into the market and operate profitably at reasonable investment of time now than it was before.

You basically need a good niche to provide a good/service not easily replicable by other competitors. People have (and still do) make money off their inventions, which they sell on amazon and other platforms (fighting off chinese knockoffs, of course)
      Last edited by ~bs; 04-03-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        The whole "pay for placement" system is definitely a problem. That's one thing I've always liked about ebay. All listings are treated equally.

As for ecrater, I checked it out briefly. It definitely doesn't seem like a worthwhile site for me. I searched for 10 items that I've either recently sold on ebay or have prepped to sell and not a single one is on there. I don't know what sorts of things are typically sold there but it doesn't seem to be the type of merchandise I deal with.

And the fact that you have to do your own promotion of your items there would be a big turn off for me. With ebay, I don't need to do a thing. I list it and sit back and wait for things to sell. Now if they go and change that, that will be a problem, but at least for now, selling on ebay is simple. It has it's problems but until something better comes along, it's really the best game in town.
        That is not true. Ebay has pay for placement now. The level of placement depends on an additional 1% to 20% fee you pay

ebay's fees have steadily gone up over the years and restrictions on sellers have gone up as well. I only use them because they're still the biggest market. But nowadays they cater to big businesses versus "the small guy". I'm pretty sure they have all sorts of sweetheart deals, premium product placement, low fees, etc for these big retailers. Ebay is definitely not a level playing field any more.

Comment

And ebay is coming out with some new fun things to make sellers want to rip out their hair. Keep an eye out for them. I left ebay 10 years ago after a fairly good run, but the month I left it had gotten so bad that I had more in fees to pay (I had a store with 5000 items) than I did income!

Then I was making more on ecrater than I did had on ebay and then it started slumping and I ramped up Amazon and had some great sales there for a few years as well and then everyone was jumping on board in my niche. I sell in a niche which helps somewhat, but if you can find them the rare and hard to find yet desparately wanted items are what you need to sell, but those items are few and far between.

Currently I am on Amazon and eCRATER as my sales venues. Today I listed a bunch of things to the point I was getting cramps in my hands. Today I got two orders after not having had any since the 3rd. That is with 100% positive feedback, good quality merchandise but I refuse to sell things for pennies. Yesterday for the first time since I started selling patterns, I saw a new one listed for sell for one penny! I don't know where they get their inventory, but except for some generous folks who have given me freebies, I have to pay more than a penny, so how can someone sell their stuff for a penny. Everyone is so anxious for make money quick and easy, they leave money on the table, if they would only have had a little patience. But then they know nothing about what they are selling.

I was on a book forum for book lovers and sellers, once where one of the posters continually referred to the books he sold as units. He didn't care anything about them as books, just saw them as a unit to be converted into money.
          Gailete

Comment

I have been investing in Bullion and that has really been paying off if you know the right places/time to buy!

Comment

Online opportunities

There are so many ways to make money online. You can start by doing affiliate marketing and the best marketplace for that is Clickbank. You can also set-up or create your own product and sell it online. You can work as a freelance for different freelancer platforms. And you can also be an Amazon reseller.

Now, how much money you earn? Hmmm... It really depends on how hard you go! Go big or Go home! I know someone who earns up to $10,000 as a part-time job for affiliate marketing.

However, I must warn you, online opportunities require a lot of time and effort. You have to love what you're doing in order to be a successful one.

Comment

However, I must warn you, online opportunities require a lot of time and effort. You have to love what you're doing in order to be a successful one.
                Very true, but so many don't believe it. On almost a daily basis on the FB Amazon forum, you will have someone pop on the forum saying they are new to selling on Amazon and want folks to tell them what to sell and where to get the merchandise! Well they aren't 'new' to selling on Amazon, more correctly they should be saying that they 'want' to sell on Amazon. And then they ask the two questions that will never usually get a serious answer. Who is going to volunteer their niche and wholesaler to a newbie? No one. These are folks that want it all handed to them.

Reminds me a 'seller' one day that came to the eCRATER forum and said that they had signed up to be a seller. She asked who provides them with the goods and who ships them when they sell? So, she has no product and somehow expects the goods will be listed for her and then if they sell someone else packages them and ships them for her. Apparently, all she thought she had to do was hold her hand out for the money! Some drop shippers do this, but I'm not sure why. I guess they make money, but they end up competing against so many others, the market is flooded with the same junk. Like 20 different sellers, sell the same item and just slap their label on it, and everyone is priced within a few cents of everyone else. Just throw a dart and the page and buy from whichever seller it lands on, since the merchandise is all the same.

Then there are some sellers that buy a shipment of stuff from China and THEN ask how to be ungated on Amazon to sell it in a restricted category. Those are sellers that put the cart before the horses and don't understand why they have problems!
                Gailete

Comment

While there are lots of legitimate ways to make money online, every single one of them requires hard work and determination.

The problem is most people are sold the dream of "working for yourself, as little or as much as you want", when in reality it usually takes years of effort just to break even.

I've been doing affiliate marketing for the past 3 years and January was the first month I actually made a profit. Things are getting better now, I predict it will replace my full-time income by this time next year. By then I will have worked on the business every single day for 4 years, which is something most people are not willing to do, especially with no rewards.

The good thing about online assets is that they are generally valued at 30x the monthly profit, so if you have a website making $1k per month you could be sitting on an asset worth $30k.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesg1 View Post
                    While there are lots of legitimate ways to make money online, every single one of them requires hard work and determination.

The problem is most people are sold the dream of "working for yourself, as little or as much as you want", when in reality it usually takes years of effort just to break even.

I've been doing affiliate marketing for the past 3 years and January was the first month I actually made a profit. Things are getting better now, I predict it will replace my full-time income by this time next year. By then I will have worked on the business every single day for 4 years, which is something most people are not willing to do, especially with no rewards.

The good thing about online assets is that they are generally valued at 30x the monthly profit, so if you have a website making $1k per month you could be sitting on an asset worth $30k.
                    If possible, can you provide what percentage of your expenses are advertising?

Comment

I've made a six-figure income from blogging for about 9 years now. It takes a lot of work to get off the ground, but once you're moving there is a chance to make good money. My wife and I also sold products on Amazon for about 2 years. We made $100,000+ in profit the only year we did it full-time but we didn't like doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by marc2242 View Post
                        I've made a six-figure income from blogging for about 9 years now. It takes a lot of work to get off the ground, but once you're moving there is a chance to make good money. My wife and I also sold products on Amazon for about 2 years. We made $100,000+ in profit the only year we did it full-time but we didn't like doing it.
                        lol what a load of bs. 6 figures for blogging......

Comment

Originally posted by porkpistol View Post

lol what a load of bs. 6 figures for blogging......
                          I can see this as definitely possible.
                          It depends on how much of an audience you have.
                          If your articles create a lot of web traffic, them you can command a hefty price for them.
                          It's supply and demand.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

I can see this as definitely possible.
                            It depends on how much of an audience you have.
                            If your articles create a lot of web traffic, them you can command a hefty price for them.
                            It's supply and demand.
                            This is definitely true and if you're telling a story (or sharing information) that people actually care about, you can make quite a bit. Plus, you are getting paid through click ads, affiliate partnerships, etc. Smaller blogs even ask their readers for a donation (especially when they are getting off the ground).

I think the real "winner" when it comes to making money online, however, is as a Virtual Assistant. You can work with multiple clients, making the amount of money you can make HUGE. I know someone who started their own VA company and pulls in 5 figures a MONTH doing work for her clients (on top of her blog about how to make money as a VA).

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post

This is definitely true and if you're telling a story (or sharing information) that people actually care about, you can make quite a bit. Plus, you are getting paid through click ads, affiliate partnerships, etc. Smaller blogs even ask their readers for a donation (especially when they are getting off the ground).

I think the real "winner" when it comes to making money online, however, is as a Virtual Assistant. You can work with multiple clients, making the amount of money you can make HUGE. I know someone who started their own VA company and pulls in 5 figures a MONTH doing work for her clients (on top of her blog about how to make money as a VA).
                              Name of the blog?

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

Name of the blog?
                                Sure! It has evolved over the years. Now it is just named after her "Kayla Sloan" - https://kaylasloan.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X