Buying new home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
    I wouldn't pay someone $1000 to do an inspection. That's ridiculous. With new construction, you can inspect it yourself. But the builder should warranty the house for a minimum of 1 year. Some warranty them for much more.

- Walk around the interior home and check for settling cracks. Easy fix.
    - Check for major settling in the garage
    - Flush all of the potties, run the sinks, open the cabinets and check for leaks.
    - look at the roof and see if any shingles are out of place.
    - Turn on the ovens and see if they work
    - Run the A/C and make sure it blows cold
    - Run the heater and make sure it blows hot
    - Open the electric garage door a couple times
    - Open and shut all of the interior doors and fence gates - looking for doors that don't shut easily
    - Check to see that the sprinkler system works
    - Check exterior walls for any signs of damage from settling (all houses settle)
    - Check that all of the windows are operational and no cracks

What the heck else would you be looking for?
    Think one could argue you're probably a bit more knowledgeable about homes than the average home buyer. I agree I wouldn't spend $1,000, but I would and did pay $325 and it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseBucks View Post
      We've outgrown our current town home and are going to be purchasing a new larger home at some point over the next 3-6 months. We're hoping that we might get a more motivated seller by buying over the winter. What are some things you wish you knew when purchasing a new property? We'll be putting 20% on whatever be buy and the total new payment (PITI) should be about $100-$200 higher than what've been paying on our current mortgage when factoring in the extra that we've been paying each month to pay our house off earlier. We bought new construction so we didn't have a home inspection etc when we bought our first house. Our Realtor told us we should get a home inspection, stucco inspection and septic inspection on a property that we looked at and are debating making an offer on. Hard for me to swallow putting out $1000-$1500 for inspections when they may come back with numerous issues.
      Paying $1000 or $2000 for an inspection is well worth it- new roof, new AC etc,,, after moving in could make buyers remorse. This assumes you are buying a previously owned home.
      I have found that scheduling inspectors is among biggest challenges in the buying process.

The process will be
      1) make an offer, contingent on inspection in 10 days
      2) inspection
      3) remove contingencies on offer, you can use the inspection to negotiate.

It takes me more than a single showing to get full idea of house- I looked at the one I am in 2X, and within 6 months I realized I did not like it.

Here are my tips
      1) I would buy a house for the space I need today- if I do not need more room today, I won't buy a house today
      2) Don't buy a house trying to predict the future
      3) Maximize the following (in some order)
      3a) do you like the kitchen
      3b) do you like the master BR
      3c) do you like the master bath?

You will spend 80% of your time in those 3 locations

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
        I wouldn't pay someone $1000 to do an inspection. That's ridiculous.
        There are 3 separate inspections the realtor is suggesting: the regular one like the one you are talking about, stucco, and septic. (I had to re-read the original post twice because I too was shocked at the $1,000-1,500 estimate. After realizing it was 3 inspections, including one for stucco, it made a lot more sense.)

Re the septic inspection, the city where we've been househunting requires one every 1-3 years depending on type, so if you buy a house with septic get used to the idea of paying for inspections on an ongoing basis unless you have the option of getting certified to do it yourself and choose to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by jiM_Mi View Post

Paying $1000 or $2000 for an inspection is well worth it- new roof, new AC etc,,, after moving in could make buyers remorse. This assumes you are buying a previously owned home.
          I have found that scheduling inspectors is among biggest challenges in the buying process.

The process will be
          1) make an offer, contingent on inspection in 10 days
          2) inspection
          3) remove contingencies on offer, you can use the inspection to negotiate.

It takes me more than a single showing to get full idea of house- I looked at the one I am in 2X, and within 6 months I realized I did not like it.

Here are my tips
          1) I would buy a house for the space I need today- if I do not need more room today, I won't buy a house today
          2) Don't buy a house trying to predict the future
          3) Maximize the following (in some order)
          3a) do you like the kitchen
          3b) do you like the master BR
          3c) do you like the master bath?

You will spend 80% of your time in those 3 locations

eat, sleep, poop. that's about right.
          How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Working...
          X