The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Personal Finance - What Action Steps Have You Taken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got everything ready to take to our accountant on Tuesday. I'm really anxious to see how things turn out this year. It's our personal return, my ebay sales, my wife's sewing business, my cousin's final personal return, and the estate return. I have absolutely no idea what to expect. There will probably be taxes due somewhere in there. I'm hoping it's not awful.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I got a mailing a month or so ago about a class action suit against Zoom. The card got buried but I was cleaning today and came across it. The deadline for filing a claim is March 5 so I logged in and filed. I do qualify as I had a paid subscription during the relevant period.

The anticipated payout is either $25 or 15% of what I paid, whichever is more. I'm not positive how many months I was a subscriber but the $25 is probably more than 15%. If I get anything, it'll be a win.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Just finishing up all of our 2021 tax info to go to the accountant. Gets a little interesting with (10) different places income is coming in from. We can typically project pretty close, so do lump sum fed and state tax payments at start of year rather than quarterly's, then settle up at year end for any variations.

Comment

I've paid down my loans and debt by learning how to properly budget and manage my personal finances. It wasn't easy and took a lot of commitment to stay within the guidelines that I set for myself, but in the ends its all worthwhile.

Comment

I took all of our tax stuff to the accountant this morning. Now we wait to see how it all turns out.

I really miss sitting down in person with him and going through it all together, but he hasn't resumed in person meetings yet due to COVID.
            Steve

Comment

trying to clean up and organize all our bills. Sorting business and personal expenses are a pain. I need to get better. Next year.
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Today I checked our mutual fund holdings to see if any own shares in Russian state-owned enterprises. The result: Yes, Vanguard Total International Stock fund which owns shares of Aeroflot. They may own shares of others. I didn't look any further. Didn't need to.
                On Monday I will be calling Vanguard to ask if they will be divesting. If they aren't, I'll have to figure out where to move those funds.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                  Today I checked our mutual fund holdings to see if any own shares in Russian state-owned enterprises. The result: Yes, Vanguard Total International Stock fund which owns shares of Aeroflot. They may own shares of others. I didn't look any further. Didn't need to.
                  On Monday I will be calling Vanguard to ask if they will be divesting. If they aren't, I'll have to figure out where to move those funds.
                  You could always swap it for the S and P. Or, what about defense stocks? They're often winners when this kind of thing happens.
                  james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

You could always swap it for the S and P. Or, what about defense stocks?
                    Neither would be a substitute for an international stock fund. I guess you need to find an international fund that doesn't invest in Russia. I'm not sure how you would go about screening for that. And even if you find one, unless their investment plan specifically excludes Russian companies, there's nothing to say they won't add some later even if they don't currently hold any.

It's tough to boycott with mutual funds, especially index funds like VTIAX, since they're kind of obligated to mirror their corresponding index.
                    Steve

Comment

Another factor of trying to divest any Russian assets: many of the major trading houses have also sworn off transactions involving Russian assets. So even if vanguard wanted to divest, they may not even have a buyer or agent willing to to process the transaction.
                      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Just paid our first quarter estimated taxes and property taxes. Last week I moved funds into checking to make sure I had enough to cover these.

When paying the property tax, I showed DH how I did it (eCheck online). Making sure he knows how to handle financial tasks in the event of my demise or incapacity is high on my list of goals for the year.

Next items on the list: Decide if we want to use an insurance broker and if we do, shop around for one (homeowners insurance coming due in May is prompting me to do this). File Form 5500-EZ with the IRS for DH's solo 401K. Do plan reinstatement for DH's solo 401K (because the plan was started 6 years ago).

It never ends . . .

Comment

After researching insurance companies, insurance brokers, etc. I chose 2 companies to get quotes from to compare to our current insurer. Today I called to get the quotes. On Monday I'll get the final piece of information I need to make my decision, but I've narrowed it down to either our current insurer or 1 of the alternates.

Comment

I opened a solo 401k and dumped $20,500 in it. I am so excited. I am also going to use it to play market timing since it's a small part of our portfolio. Decided to leave the rest alone but try something new.
                            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                              I opened a solo 401k and dumped $20,500 in it. I am so excited. I am also going to use it to play market timing since it's a small part of our portfolio. Decided to leave the rest alone but try something new.
                              Congratulations!

Comment

I'm buying I bonds with every paycheck. And 3 year, 30 year treasury bonds every month. I also opened up a College 529 account for a good friend child. 2022 is going to be a year I'm catching up on my investments.

Comment

Working...
                                X