Which is the best choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
    No we do not have a/c at all. We do have the duct worth. The furnace is pretty old and most are only rate for 10-12 years and it's 10 years. I think we need a new furnace. It's pretty expensive to $7100 for used AC and new furnace. But new is $13k. I'm getting one more new estimate.
    Aren't you planning on moving in the next few years?
    If so, you may not want to do anything.
    New HVAC will appeal to buyers, but you probably won't recoup $13K

If the furnace works, then id be inclined to just keep using it.
    What is your climate like where you live?
    Is the furnace running hard in the winter months?
    Brian

Comment

Yep it runs all winter. I am worried if it breaks and we can't do anything about. It'll be expensive to fix because the area is expensive. And being as it 19 year olds i don't know where it stands. Yes we want to move in 2-3 years but the best laid plans. And the worse case scenario which is murphy's law is it will ALWAYS break on the coldest day of the year. Also in our last place our furnance didn't work well so we ended up with mini splits to help because we also had pipes burst. that was a nightmare. And it wasn't just our condo in our multi family but both our neighbors as well.
      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Yep it runs all winter. I am worried if it breaks and we can't do anything about. It'll be expensive to fix because the area is expensive. And being as it 19 year olds i don't know where it stands. Yes we want to move in 2-3 years but the best laid plans. And the worse case scenario which is murphy's law is it will ALWAYS break on the coldest day of the year. Also in our last place our furnance didn't work well so we ended up with mini splits to help because we also had pipes burst. that was a nightmare. And it wasn't just our condo in our multi family but both our neighbors as well.
        Sounds like peace of mind for you is to get a new furnace.
        I'd call around.
        A friend of mine just had a new gas furnace installed to replace her 40 year old unit.
        It cost her around $3500
        The estimate that you got seems high.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

Sounds like peace of mind for you is to get a new furnace.
          I'd call around.
          A friend of mine just had a new gas furnace installed to replace her 40 year old unit.
          It cost her around $3500
          The estimate that you got seems high.
          yep trying to get an estimate. It's probably inflation and COL I feel like we did ours for less too about 10 years ago somewhere else.
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

okay we're going new because it's so expensive it turns out to install the older. The newer quote will include the electrical which is another $1000.

Decision variable speed fan worth $600? And Noise control worth $800?
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

okay we're going new because it's so expensive it turns out to install the older. The newer quote will include the electrical which is another $1000.

Decision variable speed fan worth $600? And Noise control worth $800?
              Both sound unnecessary. Most units are reasonably quiet anyway, unless you're running it with the windows open (which would be silly). Not sure what the benefit of a variable speed fan would be, but again, seems like more of a whizbang to me.
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Variable speed fan is more efficient and quieter for furnace. Unsure if it's worth it. I am not paying for the a/c to be quieter, but unsure about furnance. Apparently it runs it constantly circulating the air making it cheaper to heat the house. No this was research online not the guy, but i can't figure out if it's worth it.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I use $100 in gas per month at an assumed 85% efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                  X