Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought for the day.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thought for the day.

    “Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.” - Benjamin Franklin
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
    202.468.6043

    #2
    Add up everything you pay for cable, cell phones, internet, XM radio, etc., etc. and it can be a bunch of $$.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
      Add up everything you pay for cable, cell phones, internet, XM radio, etc., etc. and it can be a bunch of $$.
      For sure. Back in December, we finally dropped cable TV and lowered our monthly bills by $105. That's $1,260/year which is a nice chunk of change.

      Another thing to pay attention to is insurance premiums. It's good to shop around every year or two to see if you can find a better deal. When we switched auto insurers, we saved a couple hundred dollars per month.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

        For sure. Back in December, we finally dropped cable TV and lowered our monthly bills by $105. That's $1,260/year which is a nice chunk of change.

        Another thing to pay attention to is insurance premiums. It's good to shop around every year or two to see if you can find a better deal. When we switched auto insurers, we saved a couple hundred dollars per month.
        We did the same and have similar savings with cutting the cord. We're approaching two years with our current insurer (auto, home, umbrella) and will be adding our fourth driver (hopefully) to our policy, which is likely a good opportunity to shop with a broker. We have not shopped cell phones in several years, but average about $45/month (each) for three paid for phones. That may also be a price comparison opportunity.

        Comment


          #5
          it is. I can see just curbing our grocery budget we cut it really in half. I'm embarrassed by what I used to spend to cut it 50% without trying.
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
            “Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.” - Benjamin Franklin
            It's manifest nonsense (even if Franklin did say it, which I'm dubious of, given how hard it is to sink a wooden ship) that A little expense will sink a large "checking account".

            Now... LOTS of little expenses (aka death by 1000 cuts) is another matter. Rule #1 of fiscal discipline is "know where your money goes", and Rule #2 is "ask yourself if you need all the stuff you buy with that money".

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Nutria View Post

              It's manifest nonsense (even if Franklin did say it, which I'm dubious of, given how hard it is to sink a wooden ship) that A little expense will sink a large "checking account".

              Now... LOTS of little expenses (aka death by 1000 cuts) is another matter. Rule #1 of fiscal discipline is "know where your money goes", and Rule #2 is "ask yourself if you need all the stuff you buy with that money".
              It's easy to not spend on stuff by saying no. But on stuff like groceries? You have to be disciplined. Don't want to online shop? Sure don't open a website. Don't buy anything online. And then don't go to the store. Not a problem. We have a couple of streaming services sirius, Spotify, and I paid for 1 year of paramount, amazon, costco, AAA. Anyway though i find it harder to budget food because it's a "necessity", cheaper than eating out, and i go to the store. Again easy to not buy crap if you don't ever go to a store.
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

              Comment

              Working...
              X