property taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

property taxes

Since I was just paying my property taxes myself I find myself astounded by how much it's gone up. We bought in 6/2017. At that time it was

2017 $6994
    2018 $8700
    2019 $9223
    2020 $10054
    2021 $10451

Have you guys noticed the same? This is probably why people sell homes and downsize is the cost even after you pay it off is still pretty expensive.
    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

We bought our house in 1994. I think taxes were around $3,500. They are now $7,500.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
      Since I was just paying my property taxes myself I find myself astounded by how much it's gone up. We bought in 6/2017. At that time it was

2017 $6994
      2018 $8700
      2019 $9223
      2020 $10054
      2021 $10451

Have you guys noticed the same? This is probably why people sell homes and downsize is the cost even after you pay it off is still pretty expensive.
      This is in line what we're paying here in a popular area of the Northwest. But, we don't have state income tax, so the bill gets passed on to property owners and their renters.

We do not plan to retire here.

Our property taxes in the midwest were nothing - at least for the year we lived there. We qualified for a homestead exemption since it was a new build and taxes were about $1,000/year. Surrounding homes were between $4k-$8k/year. Plus a sliding scale for income tax up to 10%. Yuck.

Comment

I used to pay this much before on a house 1/2 the price but i was trying to get away from paying that much!
        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
          I used to pay this much before on a house 1/2 the price but i was trying to get away from paying that much!
          Property taxes are often tied to the value of the home and property. That's been a rising tide for most of the country, so it makes sense they have gone up sharply in the last few years. Whether or not they should go up that high is another question.

Comment

Our property taxes arent too bad, ill have to check. Its the school tax that is expensive. I believe thats based on your salary, unless im wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
              Our property taxes arent too bad, ill have to check. Its the school tax that is expensive. I believe thats based on your salary, unless im wrong?
              In PA, school tax and property tax are based on the home’s assessed value. Then determined by your local school district

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post

Property taxes are often tied to the value of the home and property.
                That's true, though it never completely makes sense when you think about it. Property taxes pay for stuff like trash collection, fire and police department, snow removal, etc. The cost of providing those services doesn't go up just because the market has decided my home is worth more.
                Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

That's true, though it never completely makes sense when you think about it. Property taxes pay for stuff like trash collection, fire and police department, snow removal, etc. The cost of providing those services doesn't go up just because the market has decided my home is worth more.
                  Kinda does, kinda doesn't. The rate is fixed, but you are correct, an increase in the value of homes is not a 1:1 with the cost of providing those services. But more than just property taxes make up the revenue for the city, county, and state budgets. Around here, 60% of our property taxes goes to schools at the city, county, and state levels. A small town can't afford its own police and fire department, or to fully fund a new school or more teachers. So those places draw on the additional revenue from the popular, high-value areas to make it so they can have good services too. It's a bigger thing with sales tax in our state - a lot of that money goes over to the other side of the state to fund their stuff since they don't have the revenue generation that we have over here. A windfall in property values means tax dollars can go farther and do more things.

I don't even have kids, yet I'm paying about $6k/year for someone else's kids to go to public schools. But, I went to public schools, and those kids' parents pay for schools, too. Circle of life. We're all in this together I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
                    I don't even have kids, yet I'm paying about $6k/year for someone else's kids to go to public schools. But, I went to public schools, and those kids' parents pay for schools, too. Circle of life. We're all in this together I guess.
                    I completely agree. I get so pissed off when all of the empty nesters protest every tax hike saying, "Why should I have to pay more to support the schools? My kids are grown." Yes moron, but the people before you paid to educate your kids. Now it's your turn to educate the next generation.
                    Steve

Comment

Can't complain too much about my local property taxes, $7,956 on 230 acres, our home and multiple outbuildings.
                      Our Michigan property is a whole different story. $8100 for a 70' wide lot, less than one acre of ground, a home and detached garage.

Comment

I'm paying $3000 a year for property and school tax combined on my primary residence.
                        Property tax on my cabin is about $350 a year.

Brian

Comment

One aspect of my property taxes went from $20 to $200. Increase of 1000%!

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I completely agree. I get so pissed off when all of the empty nesters protest every tax hike saying, "Why should I have to pay more to support the schools? My kids are grown." Yes moron, but the people before you paid to educate your kids. Now it's your turn to educate the next generation.
                            This is a HOT topic in Iowa right now. Our governor is trying to push a bill that states that parents that choose to send their kids to private school can reallocate the education funds extracted from their property taxes toward their private school of their choice. It's a hot mess and for some reason those advocating it are too far into the "what's in it for me" to see how detrimental this will be to our urban schools.

Comment

Originally posted by riverwed070707 View Post

This is a HOT topic in Iowa right now. Our governor is trying to push a bill that states that parents that choose to send their kids to private school can reallocate the education funds extracted from their property taxes toward their private school of their choice. It's a hot mess and for some reason those advocating it are too far into the "what's in it for me" to see how detrimental this will be to our urban schools.
                              That's ridiculous. It's called PRIVATE school for a reason. It should be privately funded, not through taxpayer dollars.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X