groceries versus other stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

groceries versus other stuff

How do you characterize stuff like toilet paper, cleaning supplies, stuff for house? Is it all grocery? Or is it separate? Is groceries just groceries? Or does it include more?
    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

When you say stuff for house, I assume you mean small stuff like hands soap, dish detergent, etc. If so, then that all gets lumped into grocery for us.

Comment

There's no right or wrong answer. It just depends how detailed you want your budget to be. You could drive yourself crazy getting too detailed, but you could also miss important distinctions if you're not detailed enough.

It gets complicated when you shop at a mass retailer like Target or Walmart where one visit might include items that are groceries, clothing, school supplies, medications, home repair, gifts, etc.

If you want your budget detailed to the penny, then you need to sit down with every receipt and put each item in the appropriate category. We don't do that, but we don't feel the need to do so as our budget isn't that tight. I just like to have a general idea of how our money is getting spent.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Household supplies have always been lumped in with groceries for us. We buy them all together at the same store, and I've always just considered it part of the same line item to keep it simple.
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I'm thinking my $950 a month budget is going to have to mean I cut a bit more on groceries to lump together everything.
          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
          X