Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impending Divorce - What do we need to consider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singuy, nice find on that link there. The best part about that article is the divorce rate by occupation. Yes, it looks like dancers have the highest divorce rate.

U.S. Divorce Rate by Occupation

Dancers 43
    Bartenders 38.4
    Massage Therapists 38.2
    Gaming Cage Workers 34.6
    Gaming Service Workers 31.3
    Food and Tobacco Machine Operators 29.7
    Telephone Operators 29.3
    Textile Machine Operators 29
    Nurses 28.9
    Home Care Aids 28.7
    Entertainers 28.4
    Bellhops and Concierges 28.4
    Telemarketers 28.1
    Waitstaff 27.1
    Roofers 26.8
    Maids 26.3
    Corrections Workers 21.3
    Law Enforcement 14.47
    Doctors and Surgeons 9.23
    Mechanical Engineers 9.22
    Medical Scientists 9.11
    Other Scientists 8.79
    Legislators 8.74
    Audiologists 7.77
    Dentists 7.75
    Farmers 7.63
    Podiatrists 6.81
    Clergy 5.61
    Optomitrists 4.01
    Agricultural Engineers 1.78
    *bonus: Law enforcement and police divorce rate is 14.47, while the rate for corrections workers is 21.3.
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

If your dependent upon on some form of spousal support or future pension from the ex-spouse you need to look into a Life Insurance policy on that person. The ex-spouse has to sign off on it including a simple medical physical and many won't after a nasty divorce. Take that into consideration during the negotiations. My friend just went through this and he ended having a little leverage because of this.

Comment

Just wondering why they got all the money from your 401ks and not just half? it must be different here in Australia...so just curious

Comment

Originally posted by mumof2 View Post
          Just wondering why they got all the money from your 401ks and not just half? it must be different here in Australia...so just curious
          They may have traded it for some other asset, or it may be an exaggeration.

Comment

Originally posted by mumof2 View Post
            Of the two peers that admitted to giving up all their retirement to their exes (along with house, car), they said it was better to give it all up front than to risk their ex taking them back to court for more alimony. Their mental health/state was more important than preserving retirement, and wanted to be done with their exes. Luckily their kids were all adults as well, so child support wasn't an issue.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Thankyou for that must be different over here in Australia seems to be a bit fairer

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

yes, because what hers is hers, and what is yours is half hers.
                Not where I live. Community Property rocks!!!

She kept what she came into the marriage with, I kept what I came in with (that I didn't spend in the meantime), and we split the assets accumulated during the marriage. (No debts and no minor children. The only unexpected issue was 13 months of "income equalization payments".)

Comment

Originally posted by cypher1 View Post
                  Personally I'd be very guarded to give up my retirement in a divorce, if I've spent years investing in it. Then again, I've never been married so what do I know.
                  You don't give up what you earned, you split what you both earned during the marriage (the theory being that the woman's work in the home is just as important to the the marriage as the man's income).

That's how it works in Community Property states, and I love it.

Comment

Working...
                  X