Cell phones - family plans or individual plans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phones - family plans or individual plans

The time has finally arrived - my youngest is a college graduate! He has a job lined up and will soon be off my payroll , including his cell phone costs. I think it's cheaper to keep him on the family plan and have him pay me his portion. Has anyone else gone through this analysis? Thoughts?

We’ve kept DD on our family plan. It doesn’t make sense otherwise. It would cost her more on her own than her share of the family plan.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

it was a better deal for us to let our kids stay on our plan.
      I wish we would have been clearer on the payment part.
      Often they skip it then pay a large amount all at once it is harder to track of but DH seems to think it is ok except when it has been awhile and he wants ME to remind them.

Comment

It's almost always cheaper to bundle multiple lines into a family plan. My wife & I share a family plan with my brothers, and it would cost $60/mo per line to get the exact same service that we pay $40/mo per line in the family plan. Almost every carrier that I've looked into has similar type pricing structures. As with many things, volume reduces unit cost.

Funny enough, my brother's wife is not in the family plan with my brothers & I, because her family's cell plan is somehow grandfathered into a stupid-cheap rate plan from over a decade ago (~$25/line?).
        Last edited by kork13; 05-24-2019, 08:02 PM.
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

With all 3 of my kids have graduated college now I've been through all this. As soon as they graduated and had a job I continued to keep them on our Verizon Family Plan and simply charge them each month for service and the monthly ongoing price of a new phone if they have one. I also did the same thing with car insurance and as soon as they bought their first "new" car I took them off our policy all together and had them get there own.

To me at least, it made more sense to slowly wean them off our support instead of a sudden stop. I also had them get a Visa credit card in there name only so they could start building credit. Prior to that they had a card from my account for college costs and emergencies.

Comment

I have a family plan through Verizon with my Dad.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Drake3287 View Post
              I also had them get a Visa credit card in there name only so they could start building credit. Prior to that they had a card from my account for college costs and emergencies.
              We had DD sign up for her own credit card as soon as she turned 18. The sooner you start building credit the better. Between that and a couple of small student loans, her credit score is now about 775.
              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

It probably depends on what he needs to use his phone for and coverage in your area.
                He may be able to save money if he goes with one of the lower cost providers that don't offer family plans.
                I'm with Republic Wireless and pay $25 per month ($32.25 after taxes).
                DH & I have studied the "family plan" options multiple times and so far it has always turned out that it's cheaper for me to stay with my individual plan.

Comment

Working...
                X