Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do with the cash gifts from your wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jenn_jenn
    replied
    Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post

Congratulations! I bet it was wonderful and lovely.
    Thank you!!

Leave a comment:

• GoodLiving
    replied
    First marriage, when we were quite young, we bought what would be our bed (futon). Second marriage, I don't actually remember... it was a small private wedding with a later date relaxed outdoor reception after we returned from our honeymoon, we didn't get anything like Thrif-T's windfall but that wasn't the point!

Leave a comment:

• LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    Originally posted by jenn_jenn View Post
    We had our wedding in the summer. The cash gifts we received (about $7,000) completely paid for our honeymoon aside from flights + hotel which were paid for by points. I think we actually had a little bit left over and the remaining balance would have just gone towards wedding expenses.

The average cost of the wedding in our area is $38k. We spent more than that for a smaller than average wedding (40 people). We didn’t go into debt. It was a group effort. My parents paid for most of it, my in-laws paid for a very beautiful rehearsal dinner, and we paid for about $18k. I loved every minute of our wedding and don’t regret it for a second.
    Congratulations! I bet it was wonderful and lovely.

Leave a comment:

• jenn_jenn
    replied
    We had our wedding in the summer. The cash gifts we received (about $7,000) completely paid for our honeymoon aside from flights + hotel which were paid for by points. I think we actually had a little bit left over and the remaining balance would have just gone towards wedding expenses.

The average cost of the wedding in our area is $38k. We spent more than that for a smaller than average wedding (40 people). We didn’t go into debt. It was a group effort. My parents paid for most of it, my in-laws paid for a very beautiful rehearsal dinner, and we paid for about $18k. I loved every minute of our wedding and don’t regret it for a second.

Leave a comment:

• thewings
    replied
    Congratulations on your wedding.
    How much did you get?

Leave a comment:

• Fishindude77
    replied
    We were young broke kids and needed the $$, so used it for essentials and some fun.
    Wasn't a great deal of money anyway. Think our wedding only cost around $600.

Leave a comment:

• myrdale
    replied
    Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
    How much did you get?
    If it is a small amount, then maybe just use it for some household items that you may need?
    If we are talking about a larger amount, then pay off debt or invest?
    I think this question is a big part of your answer.

Assuming your wedding was paid for in cash, then putting it towards the honeymoon or pots and pans sounds great.

Considering the average wedding is $30,000, if you have any debt from that I think I'd put it towards that.

As a manner of perspective though for others, I recently found out my sister's wedding cost was <$1,000. They had it at their church, the dress was on a clearance rack, and most of the cost was in the catering. Personally I think $30k is an absurd amount to spend on a single day for something that has a 50% chance of failure, especially if they are in their early 20's and are taking the debt on themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Like2Plan
    replied
    Zombie thread! I wonder how the OP is doing now (this thread was from March 2019).

Leave a comment:

• GordFelcon
    replied
    We bought furniture in our new house.

Leave a comment:

• scfr
    replied
    Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post

We used most of ours for moving costs (we relocated shortly after getting married). We also purchased some household items (curtains mostly and some towels, bedding, etc).

I've been wondering - my mom told me to keep our registry up for at least a year. How long did everyone here keep theirs active/available for people to purchase things from?
    I don't remember formally closing mine either (pre-internet days) Ö

As far as how long to keep yours open, I don't know the formal etiquette, but what about keeping it open at least through the holidays, in case someone wants to give you a holiday gift of something you want but haven't already received?

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied

Hmmm... we have ours on Amazon and it gives you a date to formally close it - and you can extend it. I imagine with a lot of shopping happening online these days, it may be the same with traditional stores as well.
    Iím talking about pre-internet days.

Leave a comment:

• amastewa93
    replied
    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I don't know that we ever actually did anything to formally close the registry. I suppose the store just inactivates it at some point.
    Hmmm... we have ours on Amazon and it gives you a date to formally close it - and you can extend it. I imagine with a lot of shopping happening online these days, it may be the same with traditional stores as well.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    I've been wondering - my mom told me to keep our registry up for at least a year. How long did everyone here keep theirs active/available for people to purchase things from?
    I don't know that we ever actually did anything to formally close the registry. I suppose the store just inactivates it at some point.

Leave a comment:

• amastewa93
    replied
    Originally posted by rob62521 View Post
    29 years ago we received some money and we used it to buy household items. Most of our friends didn't have a lot to give so we didn't do the registry with the fancy dishes, flatware, or pots and pans. We did receive a couple hundred dollars in gifts that were $10 and $20 here and there.
    We used most of ours for moving costs (we relocated shortly after getting married). We also purchased some household items (curtains mostly and some towels, bedding, etc).

Leave a comment:

• rob62521
    replied
    29 years ago we received some money and we used it to buy household items. Most of our friends didn't have a lot to give so we didn't do the registry with the fancy dishes, flatware, or pots and pans. We did receive a couple hundred dollars in gifts that were $10 and $20 here and there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X