Credit Card lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card lock

Last thursday I attempted to purchase 1500.00 in supplies for my business on my Visa card. It was rejected twice so I paid with my debit card.

I immediately called the number on my card and got some automated service. It listed my last five uses of which the last two were the 1500 they turned down. It asked for the transaction in question. I responded for the 1500 and it told me that it was on some safety feature and told me to call the merchant and have them run it again.

I hung up because I had already ran it on my debit card.

Has this happened to you and can I get them to issue my rewards since it was an error on there part? That error cost me about 30 bucks.

You can bet I will be calling in the morning to fight for it, but I would like to know if others have been successful in doing so.

I don't have any experience specific to your question. However, I did want to say that whenever I will be making an unusual purchase I contact the CC company first to explain so that I can avoid this issue. I've called to tell them when I will be going on a motorcycle trip (lots of small gas purchases), when I'll be using the CC outside the US, when I will be ordering something and having it shipped to another address, and to pre-authorize vet billings in case of an emergency when I would be unreachable. The rather large charge may be what triggered the lock in your case, so if you need to make these type of purchases in the future, I would recommend notifying the card issuer first. Good luck!

Comment

If they won't give you the rewards, you can try going to the merchant and asking them to refund the purchase then ring it up again and let you pay with your cc, most won't even require you bring the item in.

Comment

Originally posted by skydivingchic View Post
        I don't have any experience specific to your question. However, I did want to say that whenever I will be making an unusual purchase I contact the CC company first to explain so that I can avoid this issue. I've called to tell them when I will be going on a motorcycle trip (lots of small gas purchases), when I'll be using the CC outside the US, when I will be ordering something and having it shipped to another address, and to pre-authorize vet billings in case of an emergency when I would be unreachable. The rather large charge may be what triggered the lock in your case, so if you need to make these type of purchases in the future, I would recommend notifying the card issuer first. Good luck!
        I talked to them today and they said the purchase was unusual, so as you have stated, I'm going to alert them as well next time. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MiikeB View Post
          If they won't give you the rewards, you can try going to the merchant and asking them to refund the purchase then ring it up again and let you pay with your cc, most won't even require you bring the item in.
          I'm just going to have to live and learn on this one. It's a 30 dollar lesson i'll have to live with. Thanks.

Comment

Chase used to be terrible with this. My spouse refused to carry a back up credit card until he had trouble buying concert tickets. (We lost good seats because the issuer refused and the merchant was going to let him sit and call with everyone in line for good seats). This was in a few month time frame around 2000 when he was denied for a few big purchases.

Anyway, so I was wary when we got the Chase Freedom a couple of years back, after that experience, but hasn't been an issue. They seem to have improved their system. Someone made a fraudulent $2 online purchase and they shut down the card. I have no idea how they knew - we always buy stuff online - sometimes small amounts. But I am much more impressed with their fraud detection these days. Used to be when we spent more than $200 or something they denied the transaction. You don't want to sit there and call and hold up the line. But those are precisely the transactions that you want your rewards for.

Maybe we just haven't made many big purchases lately. Anyway, we always carry a second card, in case.

Just my experience.

Comment

Working...
            X