Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Economy Predictions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Well, while nobody can predict the future, I do believe in this:

    Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.


    As I mentioned earlier, I think a recession is inevitable. It may not happen next year or the year after that... but soon. And when it happens, while my portfolio may take a hit, I plan to buy like crazy.

    Comment


      #17
      layoffs are happening, albeit quiet.

      watch employment numbers.

      Comment


        #18
        We all need to start becoming one nation again and not pulling each politcal party apart. We need to start demanding more of our politicians. Firstly, that they put USA first and not other outside interests. Maybe it would be good to start buying USA products again and start contributing to our economy by visiting the states in our country. We can add to our own economy by supporting it.

        I' m looking at items that I've had for so long now that says USA. Maybe we need to start buying USA again. It's much like the stock market; it will correct itself without very little help.

        I do see some bumps in the road, but we all need to band together as the great country that our forefathers imagined.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Aleta View Post
          We all need to start becoming one nation again and not pulling each politcal party apart. We need to start demanding more of our politicians. Firstly, that they put USA first and not other outside interests. Maybe it would be good to start buying USA products again and start contributing to our economy by visiting the states in our country. We can add to our own economy by supporting it.

          I' m looking at items that I've had for so long now that says USA. Maybe we need to start buying USA again. It's much like the stock market; it will correct itself without very little help.

          I do see some bumps in the road, but we all need to band together as the great country that our forefathers imagined.
          Interesting post, probably deserves its own thread.

          I bought a Honda Odyssey... is that buying a USA product? 100% American labor, 80% American parts, built in Alabama. And it will likely last much longer than an equivalent Ford or Chevy will.

          I would change things up a little bit and say instead of "Buy USA", "Buy less CRAP!" We (as a country) buy tons and tons of complete CRAP day in and day out. We are obsessed with CRAP. We borrow from other countries to buy CRAP, and then throw the CRAP away, and then we buy more CRAP to replace the CRAP. We've become hopelessly dependent on other countries (and on our own government) on providing us with CRAP. CRAP goods, CRAP services. We need to stop consuming CRAP and start producing useful, reliable goods and services that other countries WANT to buy and we ourselves are proud to buy.
          Last edited by sweeps; 11-06-2007, 01:00 PM.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by sweeps View Post
            Interesting post, probably deserves its own thread.

            I bought a Honda Odyssey... is that buying a USA product? 100% American labor, 80% American parts, built in Alabama. And it will likely last much longer than an equivalent Ford or Chevy will.

            I would change things up a little bit and say instead of "Buy USA", "Buy less CRAP!" We (as a country) buy tons and tons of complete CRAP day in and day out. We are obsessed with CRAP. We borrow from other countries to buy CRAP, and then throw the CRAP away, and then we buy more CRAP to replace the CRAP. We've become hopelessly dependent on other countries (and on our own government) on providing us with CRAP. CRAP goods, CRAP services. We need to stop consuming CRAP and start producing useful, reliable goods and services that other countries WANT to buy and we ourselves are proud to buy.

            Here here

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by jIM_Ohio View Post
              layoffs are happening, albeit quiet.

              watch employment numbers.
              I agree although the employment numbers can't be totally trusted.
              The easiest thing of all is to deceive one's self; for what a man wishes, he generally believes to be true.
              - Demosthenes

              Comment


                #22
                Sweeps: I totally agree with what you said about buying all of the crap. It's so true. We buy so much crap that we have to have garage sales and rent storage units to put all of our crap.

                I'm not putting down garage sales, but just how much crap do we have there that ends up selling for little of nothing.

                That's OK, I have a Honda too. It is built in the US and does supply work to our country. That's a catch-22 situation.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Tongue in cheek:

                  Garage sales and e-bay are really bigger idiot methods of economics. The basic premise is you hope to find someone which is a bigger idiot than you to pay you for your used junk.

                  The person with all the stuff on their front lawn cannot sell their things. They are therefore the world's biggest idiot.

                  Comment


                    #24

                    I predict that the overwhelming majority of common predictions will be wrong. (As usual.)

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I know my car was made in america!!

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by poundwise View Post
                        I predict that the overwhelming majority of common predictions will be wrong. (As usual.)
                        So ... that means your prediction will be wrong, and the common predictions will be correct???

                        Comment


                          #27
                          What's happening these days in the economy is really scary. I'm talking about the real estate/mortgage markets and spiraling out of control oil prices. It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

                          I'm in hunker down mode.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I'd say no recession but no domestic economic growth either.
                            The easiest thing of all is to deceive one's self; for what a man wishes, he generally believes to be true.
                            - Demosthenes

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Don't tell people here in the US to stop buying crap. Then we will be in a recession for sure. Now personally I don't like to buy lots and lots of crap (last time I went to the mall was about 12 years ago) but we need these people. Just like those guys that are willing to take out loans for 10% or more from banks is the reason I can get 5% or more in my savings. I don't want to be them but I certainly don't want them to go away.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Well, I wouldn't suggest going cold turkey, but it'd be nice to slowly ween off of consumerism and focus more and more on fiscal responsibility and corporate growth.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X