Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus losses could total 47 million, unemployment rate may hit 32%.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we are not at peak yet while some industries had to shut down some others that were labeled essential now are looking at what how long can they go.
    DH job has began the process to furlough starting with low performers and absentee issues. The managers have taken a 10% pay cut for 2-3 months and the hours are now down from 40 to 32 for many workers as well .....
    The longer this goes the more people will find themselves cut. i recently read where upper Disney management balked at the idea of a pay cut even though they have laid off so many ..... I say take note and decide just who you want to support by their actions.

Comment

Random thought today (as I was out shopping for groceries & saw one of our few city buses)... Many of our heavily-hit urban areas are heavily reliant on mass transit (NYC, DC, LA, etc). Are those mass transit systems (subways, buses, etc.) still running? If there's anywhere that seems to have the perfect conditions for spreading a virus, it would be on a mass transit system.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        Random thought today (as I was out shopping for groceries & saw one of our few city buses)... Many of our heavily-hit urban areas are heavily reliant on mass transit (NYC, DC, LA, etc). Are those mass transit systems (subways, buses, etc.) still running? If there's anywhere that seems to have the perfect conditions for spreading a virus, it would be on a mass transit system.
        Here in Pittsburgh mass transit is down something like 25%.
        One of the drivers did contract the virus.
        Not sure how that was handled, but I do know that they are completely disinfecting and cleaning the buses daily now. (seems like something that should have happened even before this, but whatever)

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
          In Philadelphia, ridership is off 60-70%. In response, they've reduced the number of trains and buses that are running. I don't know how crowded they are but I'm sure they are keeping enough running so that they aren't crowded.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Just for my own curiosity i have been watching the number of jobs open/ posted on a job site while the # of postings did drop some (from before shut down) it was NOT as dramatic as i thought it would be.

I did not measure each job and they might be lower level employment but there are still jobs at least in my area.
            The company I am placed at has kept hiring throughout and still looking for people.
            I have never filed for unemployment as i always found another job quickly. As I look around in my area I am surprised that some do not take this opportunity to look around.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post
              Just for my own curiosity i have been watching the number of jobs open/ posted on a job site while the # of postings did drop some (from before shut down) it was NOT as dramatic as i thought it would be.
              A lot of places are hiring. Especially essential businesses. Supermarkets, Amazon, delivery services, Domino’s, etc. Part of the problem though is that a lot of places hiring put you on the front lines of possibly catching COVID so people aren’t scrambling to take those jobs.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

A lot of places are hiring. Especially essential businesses. Supermarkets, Amazon, delivery services, Domino’s, etc. Part of the problem though is that a lot of places hiring put you on the front lines of possibly catching COVID so people aren’t scrambling to take those jobs.
                Most of the items i looked at were not retail or covid related. for example the industry I am in is Bio-life sciences and we actually had a competitor snag some of our talent. I really think many overestimate the catching of this virus perhaps if we knew the real # of the people who had mild or no symptoms would put this in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallsteps View Post

Most of the items i looked at were not retail or covid related. for example the industry I am in is Bio-life sciences and we actually had a competitor snag some of our talent. I really think many overestimate the catching of this virus perhaps if we knew the real # of the people who had mild or no symptoms would put this in perspective.
                  I can’t say I’ve been looking at job listings so I’m sure you’re right. The jobs I’m hearing about are the ones widely advertising. I saw a TV commercial for Dominos tonight about them hiring.

I’m sure loads of places are hiring. Life goes on even if it is temporarily paused for some.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X