the chicken or the egg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the chicken or the egg

i realize we all have different budgets and priorities. Many may be in debt or not making very much money but every week often more then once a week I see articles of someone raising money or donating money to pay off student lunch debt.

Maybe some have a insight into a problem or maybe someone knows they will get a 15 minutes of fame session.
    My question is if a parent is weighing "what can i cut" and sees this maybe they will think oh well someone else will pick it up.
    We had a semi local celebrity start one of these go-fund me to pay local schools lunch debt ....one person donating said they would donate a big chunk if they covered their hometown (Same state just other side) which is a mid- sized city..... their total of overdrawn accounts $150 ( at end of year)/ now a year later with a better employment situation etc the overdrawn is $500 ( start of year)and growing.

I am not suggesting that some people may not need help but there are many programs that you can sign up for anytime of year to get free or reduced ( taxpayer funded) lunches.
    Many have strong feelings on this subject but i think they are growing a problem more then they are helping one.

I will preface my post by saying I have not followed this issue at all, but I live in the town that has been in the national news for their handling of student lunch debt. Apparently, they instituted a policy that if a kid was behind on payments, they were only allowed to get a tuna sandwich.

There was just a meeting the other night and they changed the policy. Now the kid can still get lunch but they may be barred from extracurricular activities, prom, etc.

Again, I haven't followed this at all so I don't know any details. I just wonder why these people aren't just packing lunch. That's got to be way cheaper than buying lunch at school. How much is a PB&J sandwich or a cheese sandwich? 50 cents maybe. I'll have to take a look at some of the reports because I don't actually understand what the issue is.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

It seems to be a nation wide experience, if i believe the news.
      i too read about so many mad at districts that limited kids doing extras like prom etc.
      I looked at a menu from a local school and saw the price bigger then i remember for my kids but not bad for a lunch. I was just curious.... as i see an issue growing (in this local case) instead of going away. I too think perhaps they could pack something a bit cheaper but if you have people willing to pay for you why bother.

I think teaching kids going into debt is ok someone else will pick up the tab.

Comment

school lunch are $3.50 a day. It's expensive. I can see why families are struggling. If you qualify you make very little at least where I live. I think people don't know about it is the problem. That they might qualify.
        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
          school lunch are $3.50 a day. It's expensive.
          That is expensive. Packing your own lunch is way cheaper. You should easily be able to bring your own for 1/3 of that. Why aren't all of these people who are struggling to pay for school lunches just brown bagging it?
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
            school lunch are $3.50 a day. It's expensive. I can see why families are struggling. If you qualify you make very little at least where I live. I think people don't know about it is the problem. That they might qualify.
            in my area it is a bit cheaper 2.75 and the schools push those programs relentlessly because IF a school has a X% of people who qualify........ they get some additional funds because they met that level showing low income. the schools try several times a year in this area to try to meet that %.

I was just amazed that after these DONORS begin (and i do not doubt there may be some need) that need begins to GROW faster then the (possibly) one time solution.
            The area has many many jobs unfilled and most in area have picked up. so the increase does not make logical sense to me.

Comment

I don't get it either. Anyway though I let my kiddos eat usually once a week. My older one doesn't like it. So it expands her horizons having to eat something I don't make and I know she'll eat. It got them to eat hamburgers and tacos. Sounds stupid but for some people it helps.
              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
              X