Couple Finds Rare Purple Pearl In Restaurant Clam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple Finds Rare Purple Pearl In Restaurant Clam

<i>A clam that a Portsmouth couple thought was rotten turned out to hold a rare gem: a purple pearl that could be worth lots of money.

It happened earlier this month when Barbara Krensavage brought home about four dozen quahogs from a Newport seafood restaurant. Her husband, Thaddeus or "Ted," was shucking them when he came across one he thought was diseased. Upon closer inspection, the couple found the pearl.

"We're finding out there's only a handful on earth," Barbara Krensavage said. "We were excited, biting it and everything."

Some experts estimate that only 1 in 100,000 quahog clams contains a pearl, and 1 in 20 of those pearls is of gem quality. That puts the odds on the Krensavages' find at 1 in 2 million, according to The Providence Journal...</i> <a href="http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051223/D8EM08OG1.html">Entire Article</a>

Re: Couple Finds Rare Purple Pearl In Restaurant Clam

This couple should have kept their find to themselves. The seafood restaurant they purchased the clam from might attempt to recover some of the monies. However, I wish for the couple all the best.

Comment

Working...
    X