Consumers Say Recession Changed Way They Blow Paycheck On Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A survey released Monday by the U.S. Department of Commerce found the nation's weakened economy has drastically changed the way consumers blow their paychecks on useless crap.

The report suggests the lingering recession has forced Americans to make tough choices when it comes to pissing away their earnings, as millions struggle to find new, and often challenging, ways to be completely irresponsible with their finances...

hahah

"People are learning that they have to be more responsible," Meyer said. "It's all about striking a balance between maxing out your credit cards, putting the big-ticket [items] that you want really bad on layaway, and keeping enough cash on hand for impulse purchases at Yankee Candle or Brookstone."

Comment

And yet---how much is consumer spending down by? Only 1 or 2%?

P.S. Okay, ya got me. Posted before I read.
      Last edited by Joan.of.the.Arch; 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM. Reason: Got me!
      "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

I knew as soon as I read the title that this had to be from The Onion. I love that site.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Maybe humans haven't evolved enough to realize that you can't just live for today. Even wild animals cache their kills for a later meal or store away a few nuts for the winter.
          "Those who can't remember the past are condemmed to repeat it".- George Santayana.

Comment

More wisdom from the Onion... What would the world be without straight-shooters like those guys?
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

HA ha, this is funny. It is true, I don't think personal spending is down at all...

Comment

http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data...ge=2&count=100

Shows a dip in consumer spending and then we are flying again already.

Just to bring some dull reality to this humor.
                "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
                  http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data...ge=2&count=100

Shows a dip in consumer spending and then we are flying again already.

Just to bring some dull reality to this humor.
                  Also, the widely reported drop in personal debt isn't really true. Most of that drop is due to banks writing off uncollectible debt and closing people's credit lines. Only about 1/3 of the drop is actually due to people repaying debt.
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
                  X