Cost of Fast Food vs Healthy Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Fast Food vs Healthy Food

Budget constraints prevent many people from eating right.

"I can't afford to buy healthy food."
    "Fruits and vegetables are too expensive."
    "Grocery store prices are astronomical."
    "It's cheaper to eat fast food."

We hear these "excuses" every day -- and they're good ones. But we don't give up that easily and believe any excuse can be overcome. Today we're setting out to prove that healthy eating is possible on any budget...

$20 Food Showdown: Fast Food vs. Healthy Food

95% of what I eat is healthy, and I cook it myself. It is way cheaper to eat this way than to order out or go to a fast food restaurant.

As an example, I can buy a pack of fresh chicken breasts, a bag of brown rice, a bag of apples, a bag of grapefruits, a bunch of bananas, a loaf of wheat bread, and a jar of peanut butter for around $20. That's enough to make lunch for a week. I would spend that in 2 days if I were to go out to lunch.

That's just a quick example. I try to mix it up a little bit, because I don't want to eat the same thing everyday, but it is definitely cheaper to buy healthy foods and cook them yourself than it is to head to the drivethru.
    Brian

Comment

Great site with the comparison! I fix an awful lot of stuff from scratch and we eat very well on decent money.

Comment

Nutrition is right up there with personal finance in terms of how poorly it is emphasized in our educational system and culture of thought.
        In my surgical practice I see the outcomes of poor diet and lifestyle habits on a daily basis.

There is some impressive pediatric public health research showing the distribution of fast food restaurants and their proximity to schools; no wonder adolescent obesity and diabetes are skyrocketing.

It is overwhelmingly beneficial in every way to eat fresh food prepared at HOME. Until that changes we will all be subsidizing care for unhealthy diet and lifestyle choices.

Comment

That's really cool to look at - and I definitely agree that it can be cheaper to eat healthier (read: cook your own meals from scratch, never eat out) but at the same time I have a bit of beef with those food comparisons on the website link that you posted. A pound of bananas for less than 50 cents? Chicken breast for less than a dollar? I mean are these just about to go bad so on major sale or what - nothing is really that cheap in the grocery store these days. In my opinion at least!

Comment

Those comparisons are great! I agree, I cook considerably healthy food at home and it costs much less than when I eat out. Fast food is not as cheap as it used to be, giving us even less of a reason to indulge in it.

Comment

Originally posted by preciouslove View Post
              That's really cool to look at - and I definitely agree that it can be cheaper to eat healthier (read: cook your own meals from scratch, never eat out) but at the same time I have a bit of beef with those food comparisons on the website link that you posted. A pound of bananas for less than 50 cents? Chicken breast for less than a dollar? I mean are these just about to go bad so on major sale or what - nothing is really that cheap in the grocery store these days. In my opinion at least!
              Bananas are .49 lb at wegmans and sometimes the chicken breast if still on the bone w.skin is .99 lb but usually about 1.50 that is in upstate ny

Comment

Eating healthy at home is cheap on the wallet at the food store and at the Doctors office. It's even cheaper if you can grow your own food right in your backyard. Well be planting our tomatoes, peppers,etc in a few weeks. Already have snow-peas, lettuce, spinach etc in the garden.

Comment

That is good that some still do the backyard planting these days. Most often than not, backyard gardens are organic and much healthy to consume. However, it needs a bit of a 'green thumb' to do that. But that do not mean it is not doable.

Comment

I don't eat nearly as healthy as I should. Never tried to attribute it to my budget though lol. Good read

Comment

It's cheaper to eat crappy food that is free using coupons. Buying hamburger helper, canned veggies, Chips, ice cream, all junk food that can be bought using coupons free by extreme couponers. But is it healthier than stuff without coupons? No. but definitely cheaper.
                      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

well fast food is cheap but it could cost you must more later in medical expenses.

Comment

I am also saving money by growing veggies, herbs, and fruit in my yard. We have apple trees, parsley, tons of tomatoes growing, as well as herbs such as lemon balm and some squash plants. I am also planning on putting in some of my pepper plants I have growing. Having a small garden can really cut down on rising grocery costs.

Comment

Comparing fast food (prepared) to fresh food/vegetables/fruits is a no brainer. You may not be able to afford a variety of of fresh food and certainly not the expensive items, but does that matter. In the long run, you are so much better off.

Comment

Working...
                            X