Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time

...There is an oversupply of PhDs. Although a doctorate is designed as training for a job in academia, the number of PhD positions is unrelated to the number of job openings. Meanwhile, business leaders complain about shortages of high-level skills, suggesting PhDs are not teaching the right things. The fiercest critics compare research doctorates to Ponzi or pyramid schemes...

Doctoral degrees: The disposable academic | The Economist

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    ...There is an oversupply of PhDs. Although a doctorate is designed as training for a job in academia, the number of PhD positions is unrelated to the number of job openings. Meanwhile, business leaders complain about shortages of high-level skills, suggesting PhDs are not teaching the right things. The fiercest critics compare research doctorates to Ponzi or pyramid schemes...

Doctoral degrees: The disposable academic | The Economist
    I was under the impression that a PhD was a teaching requirement in university/college. University/college jobs are hard to get because of budgeting issues. It will probably remain that way for a long time.

Comment

If you are adventurous and willing to teach/work in a foreign country, there are a lot of opportunities. In China the salaries appear low but benefits include nice apartments and there are so many lunch and dinner celebrations, you rarely need to buy food.

Comment

My dad and my step-dad are both PhDs, but they are both in their 70s now. It was a different time back then. I feel like both did it for their attraction to their fields (Electrical Engineering and Economics), it wasn't just a means to an end.

Comment

Working...
        X