Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceejay74
    replied
    Whoa, just checked back in and only now realized I'd ruffled some feathers! Sorry, I thought my revised headline was clearly only denigrating this ridiculous kid (and any other kid of his generation as privileged as he is who actually thinks he's struggling). I'm very sympathetic to what new grads must be facing, which is why I opened the article expecting to relate to the kid, and instead got this irritating whine-fest.

Leave a comment:

• ea1776
    replied
    Originally posted by geojen View Post
    As a member of this "new generation," I find your title insulting and ridiculous. Anyone can find any member of any current living generation and find slackers with entitled attitudes and write articles about them. I realize the boomer generation generally regards itself as the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm sure they have their share of losers, just like gen x and the millenials, and yes, even the greatest generation had it's share of duds. Geesh.

Every generation likes to turn it's collective nose up at the new generation. This is nothing new.
    I am a member of the "new generation" also. My parents generally raised me by showing me how NOT to act (dad is a recovered alcoholic, and my mom has major issues, spent time in jail, among other things). They didn't help me much in college either. I took out student loans and graduated as an electrical engineer from a good university. I've lived on my own since I was 17 years old and have definitely paid my dues. All of my knowledge of how to handle money came from reading books and this forum. Many financial/life lessons I've learned the hard way. I think all of this is why I have attitude I do, the genuine feeling that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. I think there are others like me from the "new generation" also.

Having said all that, I still believe most kids "back in the day" had it tougher than I did growing up, and I think that may be why a larger percentage of the "old generation" doesn't have the same fantasy expectations.

Leave a comment:

• ea1776
    replied
    Originally posted by ceejay74 View Post
    ["the sheen was gone" when military asked him to reapply--ridiculous!)

Does this sound like someone who could survive in a tough job? Newsflash! Jobs that pay a lot usually do so because they are DIFFICULT and/or require special skills. Too bad he didn't re-apply to the Marines, because IMHO, that is exactly the place he belongs. No determination. No guts. No risk tolerance. and a whole lot of growing up to do.

Leave a comment:

• ea1776
    replied
    He is living in a 100% FANTASY world. He believes he is going to find something that doesn't exist. There are 2 reasons he won't get the job he is fantasizing about:

1. He isn't qualified.
    2. He has a major attitude problem and feels he is so entitled. That sort of thing doesn't sit well with the great minds & spirits that run this country, and people pick up on it so quickly. There are no handouts, you have to EARN things in life.

If he was really ambitious, take the 40k job, live frugally, save, start a small business on weekends, read books on topics of interest, network, and continue searching for what you "really want" in spare time off of work.

What a joke.

Leave a comment:

• jIM_Ohio
    replied
    Originally posted by geojen View Post
    As a member of this "new generation," I find your title insulting and ridiculous. Anyone can find any member of any current living generation and find slackers with entitled attitudes and write articles about them. I realize the boomer generation generally regards itself as the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm sure they have their share of losers, just like gen x and the millenials, and yes, even the greatest generation had it's share of duds. Geesh.

Every generation likes to turn it's collective nose up at the new generation. This is nothing new.

I am probably a gen X or gen Y, not sure...

it is clear to me that the young people brought in have a different expectation level than what I started with.

They expect company cars, expense accounts, high salaries and similar. I went to school with 25 fraternity brothers, and while some of us were lazy, others were duds, and few even partied like it was 1999 back in 1992, I can assure you NONE of us felt we were entitled to anything. We created opportunities for ourselves, dealt with the curves life threw at us, and in general most are quite successful.

It is new in that when it was boomers, those people are rightfully called the best generation ever. We have an internet, we can type in english (not German or Japanese) and in general the world is at peace. That was not true when the boomers were born or raised.

Boomers had no college degree- none of my 4 grandparents went to college. They raised a combined 9 kids and led a modest but enriched life (they valued people more than possessions). Sometime since then there was a transfer to a possession based attitude (I need this thing, this thing and this thing).

I know one of my grandfathers walked to work, took his lunch with him everyday and worked as an engineer (without a degree) for various employers. Tell anyone today to do that and they are labeled an environment freak, not a hard worker.

Leave a comment:

• Joan.of.the.Arch
    replied
    The guy in the story is doing odd jobs such as lawn mowing. But is he putting something like that on a resume for the job he really wants? This young many has been out of school two years. Which might more characterize him as someone not to hire for the job he wants? Having been unemployed for two years? Or having been in a different insurance job than he wanted and at "only" $40K?

Leave a comment:

• EEinNJ
    replied
    Being on the tail end of the Boomer generation myself, I find a lot of the comments here sanctimonious, and I agree with Geojen. Many of the students and recent grads I know are having a tough time- including some bright kids from top schools. It's one thing if you need a survival job (the young man in this story obviously didn't), it's quite another to make a bad choice that sacrifices both your long term potential and your happiness for the sake of a paycheck. I know people who've done that, and ended up stuck in underemployment for years.

I've always advised recent grads to choose their first jobs wisely, because it's easy to get type-cast and hard to change industries and jobs. I base that on my own experience- graduating during a tech recession and having a hard time finding work, I took the first offer I got after multiple rejections. My degree is in electronics, but I paid my dues in a below average paying, hot, dirty, noisy bearing factory for 2 years. It took years after that to work my way into a good paying permanent position.

Leave a comment:

• EconoMutt
    replied
    It's funny how our definitions change.

A first job used to mean working from the bottom and doing anything you were asked to do.
    Not telling your boss what you will and will not do.

I have a college education and can remember packing boxes at the end of the month so our company could make the shipment quota. No way would you see a college grad do that today.

A first home used to mean a 950 sq ft fixer upper. If you were lucky, the window air conditioner you had in the bedroom would not blow a fuse during the hottest time of the year.
    My realtor tells me that a starter home for anyone under 30 is 2000 sq ft, granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances etc. Nothing less is acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• Joan.of.the.Arch
    replied
    I didn't understand that title to even be referring to the whole generation. I thought it referred to the only the whiny, entitled members of that generation.

However, yes, I did look at my own generation as long as 37 years ago and think about how selfish we were. I was in high school from 1973-1977 and I remember thinking how awful things could be when my whiny, entitled generation came to be in charge. And of course I did not really mean every single person was that way.

Leave a comment:

• geojen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• maat55
    replied
    Sounds like the little bird was nudged out of the nest.

Leave a comment:

• rob62521
    replied
    Loved the rewritten headline...certainly accurate!

It's amazing and downright scary how many think they are entitled to the same salary and bennies that their parents and grandparents have worked decades for. It's just like those folks who want instant gratification and buy on credit those luxury items...they would never save up for anything.

Yet, on the news last night when the world news had a story on whether unemployment should be extended, one charter school administrator said she can't find a job, even at McDonalds, because there are none. The school she worked at closed and she was williing to work at McDonalds...I think she understands that some employment is better than none. She's concerned she's going to lose the house without a job...any job!

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Joan.of.the.Arch View Post
    I'm wondering why he even agreed to do the interview.
    These bozos truly believe that there is nothing at all wrong with they way they are living. They believe that they are doing the right thing. So they see nothing wrong with telling their story to the world.

Leave a comment:

• Joan.of.the.Arch
    replied
    Definitely had to read it with the headline you gave it, ceejay74.

I'm wondering why he even agreed to do the interview. Is he thinking that people will read it and decide maybe they should give him an interview for a much, much better job?

And do I understand correctly that he has moved out of his parents place and into his brother's place, but that his parents are paying his half of the rent? Maybe they think they are helping both sons that way.

Leave a comment:

• GREENBACK
    replied
    Originally posted by kork13 View Post
    Had he gone into the Marines
    Great point Kork. The little Brat has never had to earn his way up, so naturally he expects the world on a silver platter for a few good grades. Someone should have thrown water on his fire years ago.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X