Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Use In A Typical Low-Income Household

from the U.S. Department of Energy
    Last edited by LuxLiving; 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM.

Is there a comparison illustration for a higher income household?
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I guess I am missing the point.

Comment

No disneysteve, i didn't see one. Sorry, but family came in during the middle of that post...I just found the following information educational.

"Low income - aka 'income qualified families' are particularly susceptible to high and fluctuating energy costs, based on the earnings to expenditure ratio. Estimates indicate that while the average US household's energy costs are equal to 7% of household income, income-qualified households spend 17% of their household earnings.

Efficiency funding for income-qualified families is key to many statewide drives towards increased energy efficiency. The short and long term benefits are economic relief and cost-effective home improvements.

While assistance relieves pressure on individual households, the benefits also ripple into the community. With less money spent on energy, more money is available for other goods and services.

If this money is spent locally, as is often the case, the local community captures this revenue, with further benefits rippling out from there." CA Flex Your Power

Weatherization tips:
        http://www.p2pays.org/ref/19/18981.pdf

To apply for weatherization assistance:
        DOE Weatherization Assistance Program: How Do I Apply for Weatherization?
        Last edited by LuxLiving; 12-01-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LuxLiving View Post
          Estimates indicate that while the average US household's energy costs are equal to 7% of household income, income-qualified households spend 17% of their household earnings.
          Low income households spend a higher % of income on all necessities - food, housing, energy, transportation, etc. They have less disposable income all around.

The problem with talking about energy efficiency for these folks is that they can't afford upgrades and improvements. A low income family is more likely to live in an older, inefficient home and not have thousands lying around to replace windows, install high efficiency heaters and AC units, low flow toilets and shower heads, etc.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Right, I was busy adding the how-to get assistance links up while you were writing disneysteve. Getting folks the help they need is key. Many don't know these programs exist.

Comment

Another factor to consider (speaking from my work at the crisis center) many low income people don't work--so they are home all day. Thus, since they are home all day, the heat or AC is on (as opposed to being turned off or down while at work), the TV or TV's are on all day, lights are on all day, as well as a computer and other appliances.

Comment

In NY the weatherization dept is so backlogged I applied 4 years ago and still have not been called.

Also the low income may not be able to pay cash for home improvements but I went thru a program where I got a grant for 5k and took a low interest loan for 9k of home efficient improvements. I know you would say low income can't afford a loan but in my case the cost of the loan plus my light and gas is cheaper than my light and gas used to be.

So in my case I used to pay 260 mo for utilities now I pay 110 for utilities and 107 for the loan. So I still save 43 a month.

As for the toilet I put bricks in the back to conserve water.

Comment

Working...
                X