Car Costs Determined By Where You Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Costs Determined By Where You Live

While the type of car you drive can determine how much you have to pay in car insurance, where you live can also save thousands of dollars a year off your car insurance bill.

Runzheimer International, a management consulting firm specializing in transportation reimbursement, conducted a recent survey using a 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL with a 3.0 liter, 6-cylinder engine as the base comparison car. The calculations assumed that the car is driven 15,000 miles each year within a 50 mile area of the city over a four year period.

<ceneter><script type="text/javascript">google_ad_client = "pub-8949118578199171";google_ad_width = 728;google_ad_height = 90;google_ad_format = "728x90_as";google_ad_channel ="";google_color_border = "EAEAEA";google_color_bg = "EAEAEA";google_color_link = "4271B5";google_color_url = "99CC66";google_color_text = "000000";</script>
    <center><script type="text/javascript"src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script></center>

The survey found that insurance for liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage is a major factor in car ownership costs in many cities. For example, insurance costs come to at $5,162 annually for people living in Detroit, the most expensive car ownership city in the survey at $11,844 a year. The same car would only cost $7,399 a year in Knoxville Tennessee, a difference of $4,445 based solely on where a person lives

The cost of maintaining a car also varied quite quite a bit with San Francisco topping the list at $0.0735 per mile in San Francisco and Charlottetown, Pennsylvania coming in at the bottom at $0.0419 per mile.

Re: Car Costs Determined By Where You Live

There are many ways to save $$ on car insurance.
    1. Drop the collission when the car gets to be of a certain age.
    2. Take the at-home video/online safe driver course to get 5-10% off insurance, at my insurer, MetLife,f or 3 consecutive years, then you can take the test again.
    3. Increase the deductible.
    4. Make sure you don't overpay if you don't use the car to commute to work, or if you do commute, make sure you've accurately calculated daily average mileage, as they factor that into the rate.
    5. Take advantage of various other discounts such as airbags, security alarms, car ID etching by police to deter theft, etc.

If you're sure to read all the stuffers that come in the envelope with your policy renewal, you'll be able to keep up to date on whatever programs your insurer offers.

Comment

I carry liability on my car which is a 1987 BMW (I hate it so before anyone says, ooh a beamer, YUK) I drive it cuz it was cheap and it runs. We paid approx 1200 for it. My husband carries full coverage on his truck which is a 1985 chevy truck. I would put full on my car but I hate to spend the extra. The only reason I consider it is, if someone hits me I am out of a car unless they have coverage. and there are still people that don't carry insurance even though here it is the law.

Comment

Why, the BMW is a good vehicle! Why would someone say yuk? I have friends with BMW's older than 1987 and, with regular service, are running fabulous.

Comment

See! You are one of THOSE. ( I have named these type of people) I don't care about the make or model of a car as long as it is cute. I know, I know, I am such a girl! Seriously though, I don't like the BMW at all. The exterior is in good shape, the interior is rough. runs very well. stick shift. Had to get a head set to use my phone. But what I really want is either a Ford Explorer or perhaps a newer chevy blazer. I know, keep dreaming!

Comment

Working...
          X