Can you build a life from $25?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you build a life from $25?

In a test of the American Dream, Adam Shepard started life from scratch with the clothes on his back and twenty-five dollars. Ten months later, he had an apartment, a car, and a small savings.

Homeless: Can you build a life from $25? | csmonitor.com

That's a neat article. I suspect this young man is going to do very well in life.

Comment

Just goes to show it's not what you earn, it's what you keep.

Comment

Interesting to read.

An acquaintance of mine tells of how she came to this country (USA) from another country which enjoys a very high standard of living When she arrived here she had $1000, and knew no one. She says she felt so accepted and welcomed in this country. She was amazed to find that within a year she had managed to buy a house, whereas in her home country she had always lived with two adult family members in a two room apartment. She is a very social sort of person with a winning personality. I think a good attitude, and willingness to make friends wherever you find people can take one a long way in whatever situation one finds oneself.

It sounds like the young man in the story was also willing to be a part of the lives of other people around him. Those social connections are important no matter what your economic level. It looks like he was also able to look to others for some examples of what not to do. That is important, too---to not have to make every mistake yourself, but to learn even from others' mistakes.
        "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Wow don't tell this story to Obama or Clinton. I think they would start squirming if they heard it. Man is that impressive. If someone in poverty continued this saving lifestyle they could easily have over a 100,000 dollars in savings by the time they are 30.

Comment

Great story. I really think attitude and motivation is what separates the successful folks from the unsuccessful ones. How often have you known or seen or read about someone who was struggling and asked yourself why this person doesn't just get a 2nd job or take in a roommate or do whatever relatively simple thing it would take to improve their situation? If you are a go-getter, you can succeed in any circumstances.
            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Funny how with sacrifice and determination, you can do just about anything. Great story, it should inspire anyone who reads it.

Comment

It makes you wonder if a good majority of people who are poor are there because they are perfectly comfortable and don't want to do the work that is required to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by jc3900 View Post
                  It makes you wonder if a good majority of people who are poor are there because they are perfectly comfortable and don't want to do the work that is required to get out.
                  It is always very easy to make that judgement, but I realize that it isn't really that simple. No matter what this guy says, he did have benefits like a good upbringing and education. I work with many poor people and their education level is atrocious. They don't have the knowledge or skills to go out and do what many of us take for granted. Functional illiteracy is a very real and very common problem. This guy had the know-how to take advantage of situations.
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                    It is always very easy to make that judgement, but I realize that it isn't really that simple. No matter what this guy says, he did have benefits like a good upbringing and education. I work with many poor people and their education level is atrocious. They don't have the knowledge or skills to go out and do what many of us take for granted. Functional illiteracy is a very real and very common problem. This guy had the know-how to take advantage of situations.
                    I agree... I believe that the success that this guy had was solely due to his education and upbringing. This is not to say that poor people need college educations, but instead of the government giving free handouts to all of these people, the funds should be used for basic job and financial training classes. I find that many people are chronically poor due to a complete lack of understanding of how money works.

Comment

Very interesting story!

Comment

Working...
                      X