Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Ever Invested A Large Lump Sum In One Stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singuy
    replied
    Yes.

Just did the calculation and I have a little bit over 250k in AMD stocks. A distance second would be SHOP at 28k. Also have 26k in BZUN, 18k in MTCH, and 16k in Amazon.

I believe I have more AMD than my 401k as of today.

Did AMD work out? No clue, I'll let you know by 2021 which is my selling point.
    Last edited by Singuy; 05-29-2018, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    BTDT no more. I don't have time to watch tv, reports, and read stuff. When I didn't have kids DH and I would stick money into individual stocks and sometimes we'd challenge each other to see who could make more in the short amount of time. I recall him buying nintendo before the Wii came out and it was hard to buy japanese stock. We put in around $10k? And made out like bandits. I made 8x on $1000 i believe on United after 9/11. But seriously it takes way to much time when you are trying work and watch stocks.

Leave a comment:

• TexasHusker
    replied
    So I've got a funny story.

Back in the fall of 1999 when the NASDAQ was going parabolic, a friend of mine told me to buy IDC. Being young and dumb, I did. I think I paid right around $5-6 per share and I bought about $10K worth if I recall correct.

Well, a few days later it went to soaring and I asked my friend what he thought, and he said "IDC isn't soaring, you're looking at the wrong ticker."

Well as it turned out, I had mistakenly bought IDCC and I didn't even know what I bought! Yet here it was blasting right through $20 in a week two! Then $25, $30, $40, $50, $60, $70, then past $75 I believe! All in a few weeks!

Well, it started crashing and I *think* I sold out for around $54 IIRC, so I made like $100K on that in a month.

I'm probably a little off on the actual numbers because that's been 18 years. But I remember it like yesterday as it was when my son was born and my wife was p.o.'d because I was glued to the computer screen watching it go up.

Leave a comment:

• bjl584
    replied
    I've never gone into any individual stock that represented more than 1% or so of my overall portfolio. I don't want a significant portion of my wealth tied up in any one security

Leave a comment:

• corn18
    replied
    Negative, Unless you count my RSU's, but I don't think that's what you are asking. And I sell them the instant they vest.

Leave a comment:

• Have You Ever Invested A Large Lump Sum In One Stock?

Folks I've been mulling over my investing strategy for the past ten years or so. Back in 2010 I put about $30,000 into Pfizer (PFE), factoring in the dividends, I did okay. This has got me thinking:

Did you ever buy a large amount of one stock (in comparison to your net worth)?

Did the approach work for you?
Working...
X