The Saving Advice Forums - A classic personal finance community.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how often do you guys invest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    Okay I am about to admit to hiding. I haven't ever budgeted until now. I'm terrible at it and still hate it. So I typically don't do it. Anyway now we're a bit back where we used to be so I'm tracking but I'm still very nervous that my calculations are off and probably why I hesitate to just push through the amount I predict we'll have left over every 2 weeks. I used to just send money to our investments and then save all bonuses period. So it wasn't a big deal. I could basically calculate.

So right now i have $40k MM, $16k cash Roth, $8k property taxes and I just sent $9k to brokerage. I have another $5k in checking account. I am sending 1x/month since the refi $720 the difference in the refi to a brokerage account (robinhood) not our normal account because they let you invest by $ instead of shares. I thought I'd also really like to watch and see how that investment does compared to the arm I'm doing.

When I looked at my cash savings I think we're at $140k. i don't mean to have so much but we have $60k ibonds, $40k MM which i'm starting to think is a bit excessive plus sink, property taxes, and now Roth savings for lump sum in january. I almost think I should invest the roth and instead draw from our $40k MM and let that be our Roth IRA savings. If it matters our expenses are large and for a 6 month EF i need $60k.

Leave a comment:

• Fishindude77
    replied
    All of our gains in the IRA get reinvested, so I guess you could say investing is ongoing. I've not put a dime into the IRA since retirement 3.5 years ago. We take draws from it monthly, but it's still making significant gains.
    Large investment purchases such as stocks, real estate, etc. are studied and really not on any sort of schedule. When a deal looks good, we do it. Been about a year since I purchased anything like this.

Leave a comment:

• srblanco7
    replied
    Every two weeks (pay cycle) money is invested in mine and DW’s 401ks. Once per month to 529s, Roth IRAs, and brokerage account. Annually upon receipt of incentive comp to brokerage account.

Leave a comment:

• ua_guy
    replied
    Every paycheck, so twice a month into retirement. Re-adjust allocations when needed and review periodically. We put in savings for IRA contributions come April. Some savings is money-market. Other stuff like stock grants, RSU's come when DH's employer gives them.

Leave a comment:

• kork13
    replied
    In general terms, I invest twice monthly, with big chunks of money all moving around as needed to retirement, taxable investments, cash savings, etc. On random occasions, I'll also send extra amounts into taxable investments or savings when I've got excess unallocated cash sitting in my checking account (plus Ally also automatically pulls varying amounts into savings a few times a week, based on my checking account balance...averaging an extra ~$500/mo into savings!).

LAL, how much free cash do you have in your monthly? If it's significant, you might consider investing the cash you have right now, then just in the last 2-3 months of the year you can save up the cash to invest all at once on 1 Jan 22 (sounds like you want to lump-sum into your Roth).

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    If you have money set aside for your 2022 Roth contribution, you don't want to invest it. Either a money market or a 6-month CD, whichever is paying more (probably the money market).

If you have other excess cash, invest that. If you routinely have excess cash each month, make a plan for a regular monthly investment.

Personally, at the start of each month, I move $1,600 into our money market and $1,600 into our taxable brokerage account. Later in the month, if we have additional excess, I add to those positions. This is on top of funding my 401k every 2 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• LivingAlmostLarge
    started a topic how often do you guys invest

how often do you guys invest

I have set aside $16k for next year 2 ESA and 2 Roth IRA. That's all we can do for tax shelters. Then I'm just saving what I can now into taxable accounts. I moved $10k so far this year into taxable accounts. Should I leave my Roth IRA in cash capital one? Also I have $8k in excess cash now. Should I be investing like $1k a month? Or do I just let money build up and then invest it? If i invest the Roth money for next year then I need to cash it in and then put it into the Roth.
Working...
X